Sign in to follow this  
amgems

Dongle / Jumper Plug

The ground wire thread made me think of this. There is a "dongle" on KTM's that gets a jumper plug attached to it. There are two types of jumper plugs. One allows use of the ignition switch, the other will allow the bike to be run without the ignition switch. These dongles are under the headlight or in the airbox under the seat depending on the bike vintage. KTM designed these jumper plugs with a hunk of heat shrink wrapped around the open end. Water will collect and just sit there because it is closed up with the heat shrink. The terminals corrode and funny electrical things happen. The easy fix is to just remove the heat shrink (before it starts to corrode). It comes right off. With the heat shrink gone the water moves right through, the connector dries out. Bagstr had a corrosion problem with this plug on a previous bike and passed it on. I have seen a few corroded connectors since. With the heat shrink gone they are less prone to corrosion. 

Dongle-for-EXC-F.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting.  Gonna need to tear mine apart and check this area as well as the ground strap.  Thank you guys for the heads up before there is a problem!

Actually all the connectors behind the headlight are not waterproof. They are standard molex connectors and not the most robust. It’s a good practice to check/clean them all on a routine basis. You can put dielectric grease in them to help with corrosion but unfortunately that will attract dirt/ dust.