paulmbowers

Baofeng Big Battery

Baofeng has a big battery that will fit the UV-5R and related radios, like the Ruggeds. It's 3800mAh and from that Amazon link $15.80. Just for fun, I ran mine for three days without recharging durning the Dan Baja ride, and tried for a bonus day yesterday- but it finally crapped out.

3 riding days without recharge- that's pretty good!

41rhDHmVibL.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Baofeng has a big battery that will fit the UV-5R and related radios, like the Ruggeds. It's 3800mAh and from that Amazon link $15.80. Just for fun, I ran mine for three days without recharging durning the Dan Baja ride, and tried for a bonus day yesterday- but it finally crapped out.

3 riding days without recharge- that's pretty good!

41rhDHmVibL.jpg

I had the small battery that came with my RR and it ran out at the end of a typical Borrego ride. I got one of these larger batteries and feel a greater confidence in it's duration thanks to the scientific method that you used! Thanks!

I can vouch for a similar experience using that battery, works great.

Also, available is a (very compact) USB charger cable for that battery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H4TV3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_2iOjCb9RQMM5K

The charging cable plugs directly into the battery. Visible in the upper right of this image. 

41S1zedK91L.jpg

FYI, I have had one disappear on the trail. Upon closer inspection, it became apparent that the latch that secures the battery can be a bit finicky, be sure the latch is fully seated when installing a battery.

2 hours ago, 97xr400r said:

I can vouch for a similar experience using that battery, works great.

Also, available is a (very compact) USB charger cable available for that battery... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074H4TV3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_2iOjCb9RQMM5K

The charging cable plugs directly into the battery. Visible in the upper right of this image. 

41S1zedK91L.jpg

FYI, I have had one disappear on the trail. Upon closer inspection, it became apparent that the latch that secures the battery can be a bit finicky, be sure the latch is fully seated when installing a battery.

Very good information, Thank you!

I too have the extended battery and can confirm the 3+ days of power output.