paulmbowers

Thoughtful and interesting.

https://www.atomic-moto.com/blogs/news/the-codes-we-ride-by

heres a quote:

• Person that calls the ride, owns the ride.
  • Fight Club Rule (Do NOT talk about Fight Club). 
  • Show up on time, ready to go. “Kickstands up” time is a real thing. 
  • Show up prepared. Bike, gear, you.
  • If you are not the organizer, don’t invite others without asking.
  • Excess dust, noise, and attention are needless dickery.
  • If the terrain is over your head, say so. Most of the time others will help you.
  • Make sure the guy behind you does not get lost.
  • I try to avoid unpleasant talks with Law Enforcement. I require your support on this.
  • Don’t be a jackass (catch-all for everything in motorcycles and in life)
  • Like 1

I love the last one.  When I had to talk to my Sailors before sending them off the ship, my saying was always “Don’t be a dumbass!”  No reason for a 30 minute discussion on what to do or not to do.  Four words!

Rules to live by! Thanks Paul! By the timing of your post... I'm assuming that I won't be seeing you at Kendalls in 30 minutes? 🙁

24 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Rules to live by! Thanks Paul! By the timing of your post... I'm assuming that I won't be seeing you at Kendalls in 30 minutes? 🙁

So little faith. 😏

The link to the article and bullet points should be required on all informal ride posts.

Good stuff! 

I like these that someone added also.

2. ALWAYS ride within your limits. Know your limitations and ability. Ride hard, ride smart, have fun. NEVER forget the extreme risks and consequences inherent in riding a dirt bike.
3. ALWAYS remember, all roads and most trails exist to carry vehicular traffic, even in the most remote areas. Expect and anticipate oncoming traffic wherever you are riding.
4. ALWAYS remember, you are wholly responsible for the rider behind you. ALWAYS wait at ANY trail intersection until the next rider has clearly seen you.
5. IF you screw up Rule 5 and someone gets lost, ALWAYS go back to the last place the group was fully together should you become separated.
6. ALWAYS signal oncoming traffic with countdown hand signals
7. ALWAYS pre-qualify any riding partner you bring. You bring ‘em, you own ’em. Do your due diligence. (AKA the No Spodes Rule)
8. NEVER go down something you cannot ride back up 
9. ALWAYS take fuel when available (AKA the Top Off Your Tank Rule – AKA Ride Til You Have Half a Tank, Then Ride Back)
10. Just because the truck is in site, doesn’t mean the ride is over! We collectively have had more people throw it away a hundred yards from camp than we like to remember.
HAVE FUN, BE SAFE, and RIP IT!

CiD

• Like 1

11. Don't forget to check your oil level before arriving at the parking lot of KesDalls in Borrego Springs.

12. Just because one sets the rear tire pressure to 11 lbs at the truck does not guarantee that tire won't have a flat in the first 300 yards off road.

3 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

11. Don't forget to check your oil level before arriving at the parking lot of KesDalls in Borrego Springs.

12. Just because one sets the rear tire pressure to 11 lbs at the truck does not guarantee that tire won't have a flat in the first 300 yards off road.

Be careful with the left/right NASCAR style tire warm-up procedures on the street at 11 psi 😊

Missed this.   I will Start studying. May take a couple of weeks to get up to speed.

Is there something in there about First Aid training?   What about satellite comm for emergency help?

11 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Is there something in there about First Aid training?  

Nah.

For our group, typically second or third aid is sufficient.

18 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Nah.

For our group, typically second or third aid is sufficient.

I left off the guys 1st rule because I don’t completely agree with it. It’s good to check things out but don’t go overboard. It help if people have some basic First Aid training. Most of the guys I ride with have at least a basic understanding of First Aid. 

RULE NUMBER 1 – NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE GRAVITY OF POSSIBLE INJURIES FOLLOWING ANY CRASH, NO MATTER HOW MINOR. ALWAYS TAKE CAREFUL INVENTORY AFTER ANY CRASH, ERR TO THE SIDE OF CAUTION, AND SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION EVEN IF IT DOESN’T SEEM LIKE A BIG DEAL. We lost a riding brother due to complications from internal bleeding. It didn’t have to happen.

CiD

2 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

RULE NUMBER 1 – NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE GRAVITY OF POSSIBLE INJURIES FOLLOWING ANY CRASH, NO MATTER HOW MINOR. ALWAYS TAKE CAREFUL INVENTORY AFTER ANY CRASH, ERR TO THE SIDE OF CAUTION, AND SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION EVEN IF IT DOESN’T SEEM LIKE A BIG DEAL. We lost a riding brother due to complications from internal bleeding. It didn’t have to happen.

Yeah, this is a tough one.

As you know, I'm pretty cautious about it- remember Curtis' amnesia? But "even if it doesn't seem like a big deal" would mean a trip to the ER after every ride. And maybe more often if Curtis is along. We'd never get anywhere 😀

At Some Point,,,   We just let go of all those cautions carried inthe Metro.  And Just Let It Flow.    Because we Trust our Bros to take care of the unexpected. That is the Big Plus of having capable bros.

Still Looking,,,,,   🤠

I like these rules/guidelines. I have met a few from the club but have not ridden with any yet. I am well aware of my abilities and don’t consider myself to be a “Richard Cranium” however my wife may beg to differ at times. My only question is what is an uncomfortable conversation with Law Enforcement? Is this referring to after some bad event?

9 minutes ago, Huntndogs said:

I like these rules/guidelines. I have met a few from the club but have not ridden with any yet. I am well aware of my abilities and don’t consider myself to be a “Richard Cranium” however my wife may beg to differ at times. My only question is what is an uncomfortable conversation with Law Enforcement? Is this referring to after some bad event?

I don't think so- the quotes I posted were taken from the article, so perhaps the author has a specific incident to which he's referring.

For me, I don't enjoy riding with someone who thinks it's their personal duty to confront and antagonize law enforcement. As an example, on occasion we'll ride the border area, and are likely to encounter law enforcement who've offered various reasons to eject us from the area in which we're riding. I understand those reasons may or may not be valid- but I'm of the belief that those with the weapons get to make the decisions, and I'm unwilling to argue anywhere beyond a helpful suggestion that they'd be rid of me sooner by allowing me to pass through.

I'd like to be confident that my riding buddies are not going to throw a hissy fit and begin "informing" the officer about their rights under the Johnson-Reed Act (or something) and escalating the argument.

An example was an recent encounter with a Ranger regarding Arizona registrations- the officer was clearly incorrect about the legal status of one of the bikes in our group. One club member handled the situation courteously and confidently, without rancor, which resulted in the officer subsequently checking the facts and voiding the citation. That's a situation that could have easily gotten out of hand- I don't ride with people that would do that.

Whole heartedly agree! I have spent time around a few of those folks also and it is always unpleasant. 

On 12/29/2018 at 5:13 PM, Huntndogs said:

Ha Ha we ride with Law enforcement! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1