simicrintz

Can I use this for fuel?

I would use this from the same site, and consider the wolfman holster / holder as well for external strap on.  I haven't researched why you shouldn't use water containers except that they may have been built with some plastic or rubber that may disintegrate when in contact with gas.   Also, I bought back-up caps, that are not the lock style because the "legal" ones that they come with are often not as user friendly.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/84881/Cascade-Designs-MSR-Aluminum-Bottle

I use "SeeFoam" bottles after poring the treatment in my car. there Aluminum and free. 2 16 Oz bottles will work in the most cases. And the Cap has a safety lock.

Thanks guys!  I looked at the "fuel specific" ones and just couldn't figger out what made them any different.  I have so many of these "water bottles" (and Mama bought us new HydroFlask bottles for Christmas so I am going to throw out all of the generic ones or repurpose for fuel if that would work).  I got a Wolfman tank bag and rear enduro bag for Christmas and have looked at the holster already MacD :)    I like your idea too, Udo; in all of your travels you've never had any issues this way?

One last question:  how much fuel do you guys think is enough?  Stock tank on 500 EXC.

On my dual sports 3 gal is about perfect. Stock normaly 2.2 and barely stretch 100 miles depending on riding and ive had the 4.1 gal acerbis and its just too much rather keep 3gal on abd carry extra if i need. 

I carry two with me on the long trips. never had a leak. And I can refuel my  multi fuel stove if i need to.

7 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

On my dual sports 3 gal is about perfect. Stock normaly 2.2 and barely stretch 100 miles depending on riding and ive had the 4.1 gal acerbis and its just too much rather keep 3gal on abd carry extra if i need. 

I have three tanks, each with fuel pump/systems inside- a 3, a 4.1 and a 5.3 plus the stock tank I no longer use (unless I can find a deal on another fuel pump).

Were I to start over on this bike, I'd buy the 3 and the 5. I don't like to carry the bottles for fuel, I'd rather have the space in the luggage, and I'm not skilled enough to notice the difference in handling with the heavier fuel load.

I have carried spare fuel in Gatorade bottles, oil bottles, etc.  I had a water bottle with fuel in it in my backpack for two years....forgot it was in there but no issues.  Fuel doesn’t eat through plastic.  

Couple things:

I think that fuel stations have signs that say it is unlawful to dispense fuel into an unapproved container. I also believe that the fuel cans are limited to 6-gallons. (I could be wrong).

I would strongly caution against using any device that is normally associated with food/beverages from storing fuel. There are many reasons for this, but predominantly, you don't want a loved one to accidentally take a swig of gasoline. Young kids don't know better and are at the greatest risk of finding and drinking gasoline in a container that looks like it is for a normal drink.

If you choose to ignore my caution, fine, but please very boldly and clearly label the container you store fuel in, make sure to include the skull and crossbones, the words, "Do not drink."

I too have seen guys carry fuel in water bottles and empty oil containers.  Not saying it is ideal but also seem to think this is another one of those things that gets overthought and then we scare ourselves into buying something specifically listed for fuel when it is just a rebranded something else that they can get more money for.  Shoot-I bought 4 VP "fuel jugs" at one of the local motorcycle shops a couple months ago to use to transport diesel fuel that I need for a generator.  One sprung a leak in the seam and I took it back and the first comment was "you know these are only approved for water, right?".  Yeah-cuz VP sells a lot of water and we all buy their containers for that!

I'll have to go back and look at the "fuel rated" units and see if they have the skull and crossbones on it.  The advice is great Erik (and I would most likely make a note that it is fuel only) but this would be on my bike specifically for this use and I don't think anyone will be digging around (and if they opened it up to take a swig and couldn't smell the fuel I'm not sure a warning is gonna make a difference!).   

I'd rather not have a huge tank and know that I am usually in the 75-100 mile range with my stock tank.  But I also know that mileage can change depending on how you're riding so I can't always count on that.  I'm thinking that I'm gonna try some of these old bottles and see what happens.

Thanks for the help (as always!), fellas!!

Thing about fuel- it's nice to estimate range, but it all goes quickly to pieces when you're forced to backtrack, or have to detour.

I'd prefer not to worry about it and use the big tank.

GRRRRR-now you plant that seed, PMB!  I went from a carefree guy who never carried fuel, tools, tubes or margarine, and now I'm all wound up about what I am forgetting!

I would pass. The top blew off with a change of pressure and stone beer inside. I just started to open it and it blew off. Their might be better choices. 

I am thinking of getting A fuel Bladder. I have the MSR cans but they are bulky.

The 5 gallon fuel tank seems like A good idea but it is not cheap.

2 hours ago, CVRick said:

I am thinking of getting A fuel Bladder. I have the MSR cans but they are bulky.

The 5 gallon fuel tank seems like A good idea but it is not cheap.

How would the fuel bladder be carried? Back pack, on the bike, or Saddle Bags? In my humble opinion, riding with a five gallon tank, the rider's knees would have to have good cell service to communicate with each other; plus, how often do you ride that is close to five gallons between fuel stops. 😕 

I carry a msr dromedary 4litre bag strapped to outside of my hydration backpack works great. Not fuel rated but i dont leave fuel in it longer than 24hrs

So a cheap way in at lowes and home depot they have the 1L fuel cans of premixed 2 stroke fuel.  I use them for my leaf blower etc.. I reused them for fuel just fine

I just learned about these yesterday. I have no experience with them. But an interesting idea. I had a similar bladder for water (MSR). Use aluminum bottles for water now. The bladder was hard to pack and made the water taste like plastic. Giant Loop Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder https://g.co/kgs/DfHRkt

4 hours ago, amgems said:

The bladder was hard to pack and made the water taste like plastic. Giant Loop Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder https://g.co/kgs/DfHRkt

But will the Giant Loop Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder make the fuel taste like plastic?

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

But will the Giant Loop Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder make the fuel taste like plastic?

Only one way to find out......be right back! 

3 hours ago, tntmo said:

Only one way to find out......be right back! 

Um...Tom?

Tom?

Managing that loose fuel is a pain in the Rok Straps!!

😎 

So I have 3 different "water bottles" in the garage; think I'm gonna fill all 3 with gas and turn them upside down and keep checking on them.  I they don't leak or the caps don't distort I will consider them a viable option.  A Google search led me to a few other sites where the general consensus was that the water bottles were just fine (one guy even cut one open to check for any weird coatings inside that could transfer to the fuel).  

I'll work on running this very scientific "fuel in water bottles placed upside down" theory and report back when complete......