Sign in to follow this  
MauleR

Info on Euro bikes

Hey guys, I am seriously considering buying either a KTM or Husky 500 plated bike. I know the majority of you all ride one of these and I would like to hear your opinions. 

First, It seems that the main difference between KTM and Husky are the color and PDS or linkage... I'm leaning towards the linkage but not sure if I could really tell the difference. 

Second, I don't really know what changes have happened over the last few years. I know that 2017 was a all new bike, should I only look at 17 and newer? Or would a 15 or 16 be good if I found a good deal?? I prefer to buy a used bike that someone else has already spent the money to set it up with exhaust, bigger tank, etc... 

Thanks!

Brian

I cant tell a noticeable different between linkage or pds, owned 3 ktm variant linkage two pds, having said that i would steer away from 15 or 16 husky and get a ktm of that year 4cs forks on husky are garbage. Looks like 17 husky fe501 share same xplor fork as ktm. Besides those differences you cant go wrong.

I read a couple of tests that claimed that the linkage has a slight edge in technical situations.

12 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

I cant tell a noticeable different between linkage or pds, owned 3 ktm variant linkage two pds, having said that i would steer away from 15 or 16 husky and get a ktm of that year 4cs forks on husky are garbage. Looks like 17 husky fe501 share same xplor fork as ktm. Besides those differences you cant go wrong.

Thanks for the info! That's the sort of thing I'm looking for as far as what years to avoid and why.

5 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

I read a couple of tests that claimed that the linkage has a slight edge in technical situations.

Haha I had actually read the opposite, that the PDS was better in the slower more technical stuff and the linkage was better in fast desert settings and whoops! I probably wouldn't notice the difference lol.

43 minutes ago, MauleR said:

Haha I had actually read the opposite, that the PDS was better in the slower more technical stuff and the linkage was better in fast desert settings and whoops! I probably wouldn't notice the difference lol.

I bought the Husqvarna because there were Beta dealers in my neighborhood, the Husky dealer offered a great  trade in on my MV Augusta, and I don't like orange  color schemes.  That being said, the Husqvarna is the tallest of all the Euro bikes...not good for a little short legged smurf like myself, but other than  that, I like it.  It definitely handles technical terrain with ease.

56 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

Weird thats opposite of everything ive read, having said that my 300xc with linkage eats up technical terrain for bfast as well as roberts tx300

The stock suspension on my '15 500Exc was extremely soft. Super cushy in the slow, rocky stuff but if you pushed it at all you could over-ride the suspension. Amazing difference after George from suspension101 redid it. Expensive but worth it if you like to get aggressive. Otherwise, power and handling are great.

Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'm still wondering what changes have happened and what year? With the KTM I believe it was supposedly a whole new bike for 2017? So before 2017 when was the last major changes?? Going back to 2014 have there been any changes that you would consider a game changer? Are the 17s and newer enough of an improvement to justify the extra money? 

Thanks!

Not my bike  

Unfortunately my Harley addiction got in the way, I’ve got to many bikes and this is the one I ride the least so I am Selling my 2013 ktm500exc for $6000$ currently registered with title in hand. This bike has lots of up graded that include but are not limited too, Scott's steering dampener, over sized radiator/braces, skid plate, pro circuit pipe front header back, seat concepts seat, rekluse clutch, billet kick stand and more.. tires are in good shape, have stock clutch, pipes, and springs. Great bike but just got another Harley and don't ride this nearly as much as I thought I was going to. Have receipts for roughly $5000 of upgrades done to the bike. Call or text Robert at 714-756-1579. May trade for 1969 or earlier Harley. Will be posting a 2008 tw200 for sale shortly too.

Just came up for sale on So Cal Dualsport Facebook. 

I’d jump on it 

EB7B3BA4-095B-4E90-855C-BE0273328C79.jpeg