Sign in to follow this  
erik_26

Teen Motorcycle Permit

So my 15.5 year old son doesn't really have an interest in driving a car, which is weird to me, but I guess that's the new normal in today's world.

However, he likes to ride my TW200 a lot. He is asking me to take him riding often and has expressed interest in getting his Motorcycle License.

Reading through the CA DMV website, it isn't clear what is needed to receive a learner's permit. It explains what is needed for the license.

So, my question to the SDAR's Commonwealth of knowledge, aside from being 15.5 years old and passing the written test and eye exam, are there any other requirements? He has got the handbook right now that he is reading and wants me to take him to the DMV next Saturday.

Yes, there are other requirements. He has to apply for a driver's license (or Cal. I.D. card), take a drivers education course, pass the written MC test, and take pass the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class.

I just went through this process with my 16.5 year old. It made no sense to me to have him start with his MC permit. Not to mention, I didn't want him riding on street before he had some time driving a car to gain experience. So this is what we did and it worked out well for us:

1. He applied for his driving permit and got it.

2. He took the certified the driving courses required under the terms of a provisional license for someone under 18.

3. Over 6 months he completed the 50 hours of driving with a parent or guardian.

4. During the 6 month permit process I sent him to the 2 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation course (required to get MC).

5. Final step after the 6 month permit period he went to the DMV and took the driving portion of the license and took the written portion of the MC endorsement and passed both.

6. He was issued his driver's license with M1 endorsement at the same time.

After all this I put strict conditions on his street motorcycle riding. For example, he can not ride on the street without me leading for now. While riding together, we follow certain protocols, rules of the road, stop here and there to point out situation we encounter and go over possible risks and mitigation.

12 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Yes, there are other requirements. He has to apply for a driver's license (or Cal. I.D. card), take a drivers education course, pass the written MC test, and take pass the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class.

I just went through this process with my 16.5 year old. It made no sense to me to have him start with his MC permit. Not to mention, I didn't want him riding on street before he had some time driving a car to gain experience. So this is what we did and it worked out well for us:

2. He took the certified the driving courses required under the terms of a provisional license for someone under 18.

3. Over 6 months he completed the 50 hours of driving with a parent or guardian.

4. During the 6 month permit process I sent him to the 2 day Motorcycle Safety Foundation course (required to get MC).

5. Final step after the 6 month permit period he went to the DMV and took the driving portion of the license and took the written portion of the MC endorsement and passed both.

After all this I put strict conditions on his street motorcycle riding. For example, he can not ride on the street without me leading for now. While riding together, we follow certain protocols, rules of the road, stop here and there to point out situation we encounter and go over possible risks and mitigation.

It would be hard to find a better teacher than you. Your son is very lucky. I have many bikes in my garage and my son could use one for transportation but even though he is a good off road rider he has never ridden on the street and I won’t give him one. 

CiD

18 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Thank you! This is very helpful.

My son and I have done some riding together on isolated roads and empty parking lots. I just got us a pair of Sena 10s so that we can communicate easier. I am trying my best to keep him from developing bad habits. So far, he has responded very well. We too talk about situations we encounter, what did we do well and what could we have done better. We also stop before a more technical location and talk about what the plan is, what the expected results are and what to do if things don't go to plan.

The MSFC is a must for him. Wasn't sure if he needed a permit before he could take the course.

2 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

It would be hard to find a better teacher than you. Your son is very lucky. I have many bikes in my garage and my son could use one for transportation but even though he is a good off road rider he has never ridden on the street and I won’t give him one. 

CiD

I try to be the best teacher I can be. But I also acknowledge that I don't know it all. I have some bad habits that I actively try to overcome and there are way more experienced riders and teachers that he could benefit spending some time with. Once he gets the MSFC out of the way and gets his license, I plan on doing the experience class with him.

The two day course is great and once you pass that you get a certificate so you do not have to do the riding test at DMV.

7 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

Thank you, CID.

My son is 14 now and keeps asking about when he is 15.5 if he can get a permit, so we can ride together.