Bagstr

Flat Tire - Search and Repair

With the abundant rain, even down into the desert, The Governor hatched the concept of a First on the Scene Friday Outing. Having just returned to town, a medium Hustle was required to get the moto in shape. New air filter, fresh oil and filter appeared to have this moto operator ready for Last equipment checks and load up. This was about 4:00pm local time today. To my chagrin, the tire pressure gauge did not read the 12lbs always present! Sure enough, I stand up and lean my boot into the carcass and,,,,Mush.  A few rotations reveal no obvious damage, as in nail, hole or tears.  More rotations of the rear wheel and all I can come up with is a needle sized thorn.  Whip the Windex to the job, spray, spray and more spray!  No bubbles at the thorn, bead and wheel edge to be seen. The thorn is soo small, I can't get a purchase with small needle nose.  More Windex as my last resort.  Finally the picture below produces evidence. 

Loaded 20lbs into the tube and went to dinner with some people. Always a good strategy.  More evidence is the pressure is dropping at a rate of 1 pound an hour. With these STI Extreme Duty tubes it rarely drops in a week. ( Heavy duty as tubes go ).  

My working Theory is that the Thorn is held in place by the hard rubber carcass and slowly damaging the tube. When I dismount the tube, I will be careful to mark location. Something will evidence itself when I see the tube.  Now the big deal is to carefully find this tiny thorn and remove it from the tire. Otherwise, I will be repeating this effort. I could just pump it up and roll for 3-4 hours, but,,,,   The hole could get larger and fail  more quickly.

Finally, thinking about the Chilly White technique of splitting an old tube and running it over the new tube to help with this Thorn Issue that is always a risk in the Dez.

This is my story, and a Sad story it is because this boy will not be riding Friday!  And all that Wet Sand will be wasted.  :ph34r:

Flat%20Tire-L.jpg

Clearly, this is a message from the gods of damp sand. They are telling you not to rush to repair or head out. Now you have time to fix it correctly. Maybe you can get 'er fixed by...... Sunday? 

Loss of 8 lbs overnight,,,

PS,    I wish I lost 8 lbs overnight!

3 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

rexall_magnesium_citrate_lemon_10oz.jpg.d3fb7da647f984e2546f896bc67df49b.jpg

My trailers unlocked and the wifes 250/360 is all ready for the desert, golden fatty, full tank of gas etc. Its even lowered by George, come on Bagster you can still make it PM me quick.

46 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Loss of 8 lbs overnight,,,

Bummer on the "bubbles" Bags :confused:...but, hilarious on the weight loss! :smile_anim: At least you found the culprit...

You Guys are killing me!  

Champ, Go have fun, I am too depressed to to be around people.   :P

BP,   Yeah one of my favorite drinks.  :unsure:

Can't rest until this mystery is solved.   Amgems,  The gods talk to me all the time; why I am soo confused. 

P10102641000w-L.jpg

Almost invisible at times, cactus spines working their way through the tire, mark the spot and go inside. If not use the soft rag technique and run it around the inside of the tire to find the spine or sharp edge. many times you cant pull the things out, Ive just used various tools to smash them into the tire from the inside. from x actos to screwdrivers to picks to drift punches.

Also verify that your rimlock is free from sharp edges etc.

Just now, robertaccio said:

Also verify that your rimlock is free from sharp edges etc.

BOTH your rimrocks.

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

BOTH your rimrocks.

What type of "rimrocks" do you run on your five-hundo? Igneous, Sedimentary or Metamorphic? :huh:

Other than the Tire Rack, I use the tools carried on the trail.

IMG_0784-M.jpg

And the Answer Is   ---    Not a Thorn.  After carefully checking the carcass for a penetrating thorn. None evident, with a few pounds of air in tube, spraying Windex produced no bubbles. With more air pressure, I held the tube near my ear and rotated to finally hear and feel the jet stream blowing off the sidewall.  

IMG_0792-L.jpg

IMG_0786-L.jpg

IMG_0785-L.jpg

IMG_0787-L.jpg

Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles.  With the Thorn theory off the table,  new clues point to Pinch Flat. With this clue the memory starts churning and I come up with the memory of a hard hit while rolling through Upper Fish Wash above Sandstone. I had cast this worry aside because the tire stayed inflated for the rest of the day. At a rate of 1 lb an hour, it would be the next day before the tire would show the defect. The carcass is so tough with this Maxxis Desert It that until you sit on it there is no sag. 

Moving down the wash at an estimated 50mph I missed the rock in the sand  with the front but kicked off at the rear. Again, the tire maintained so I let it go. The tube has a Vertical 1.25 crease with a pin hole in the middle. Indicates to me a Rock, not a tire iron pinch from two months ago when mounted.

Actually, I am glad this is a pinch flat and that no cacti needle has yet to get to my tire system.

IMG_0791-L.jpg

IMG_0793-L.jpg

6 hours ago, Dress4Less said:

What type of "rimrocks" do you run on your five-hundo? Igneous, Sedimentary or Metamorphic? :huh:

Spellissczechus Maximus. 

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Other than the Tire Rack, I use the tools carried on the trail.

IMG_0784-M.jpg

And the Answer Is   ---    Not a Thorn.  After carefully checking the carcass for a penetrating thorn. None evident, with a few pounds of air in tube, spraying Windex produced no bubbles. With more air pressure, I held the tube near my ear and rotated to finally hear and feel the jet stream blowing off the sidewall.  

IMG_0792-L.jpg

IMG_0786-L.jpg

IMG_0785-L.jpg

IMG_0787-L.jpg

Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles.  With the Thorn theory off the table,  new clues point to Pinch Flat. With this clue the memory starts churning and I come up with the memory of a hard hit while rolling through Upper Fish Wash above Sandstone. I had cast this worry aside because the tire stayed inflated for the rest of the day. At a rate of 1 lb an hour, it would be the next day before the tire would show the defect. The carcass is so tough with this Maxxis Desert It that until you sit on it there is no sag. 

Moving down the wash at an estimated 50mph I missed the rock in the sand  with the front but kicked off at the rear. Again, the tire maintained so I let it go. The tube has a Vertical 1.25 crease with a pin hole in the middle. Indicates to me a Rock, not a tire iron pinch from two months ago when mounted.

Actually, I am glad this is a pinch flat and that no cacti needle has yet to get to my tire system.

IMG_0791-L.jpg

IMG_0793-L.jpg

Nicely done Bags! :good:

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Spellissczechus Maximus. 

Creativity = AA++ for PMB...^_^

This short video by world renowned rider Adam Riemann demonstrates the reason that I use rubber grease (heavy silicon grease) on tubes to avoid pinch-flats! 

7 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Rubber Grease®

by Trojan. 

Slickery is good...:thumbsup_anim:

Pretty Useless watching a guy install a stretchy motocross tire with his hands. As in most issues, You can learn small things that help. I have thought about grease on the bead,  but then what are we using rim locks for??

Check this tire change vid,,,  Pretty Funny and you learn by watching.  Again tho,  a whimpy tire which is little challenge.  Never heard of Jay Clark before yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Pretty Useless watching a guy install a stretchy motocross tire with his hands. As in most issues, You can learn small things that help. I have thought about grease on the bead,  but then what are we using rim locks for??

Check this tire change vid,,,  Pretty Funny and you learn by watching.  Again tho,  a whimpy tire which is little challenge.

He was changing a front tire! Using grease on the beads makes any tire change look like it's a wimpy tire being installed. It's easy! Just did the front and back on mine in 40 minutes. The only point that is important in this video (for me) is that applying talcum powder to a tire sucks as a deterrent for pinch flats. Grease works. You may have more of a challenge during tire changes Bags due to you are running two rim-locks both front and back. 

Grease in the bush is going to be really messy...if you have to do a repair...

13 minutes ago, Van said:

Grease in the bush is going to be really messy...if you have to do a repair...

Agreed i tried the grease once and a whole handful of wheel bearing grease was gone in 15hrs ride time maybe got soaked into tire and tube?!?! 

Just proper install and maybe baby powder if completely dry.