DangerDaveSD

New Member - DangerDave

Good afternoon all,

I'm new not only to the forum, but also to Adventure riding in general. I just transitioned from a cruiser to a 2018 V-Strom. I'm hoping to get some recommendations on good beginner trails, local shops that can help me rig up lights/accessories, and really just find a group of people to ride with.

Hope you're all staying safe in the wet. Seems like when the sky starts falling, drivers lose basic reasoning skills.

- Dave

Cool to have you and welcome. There is a lot of knowledge here in regards to local trails so fire away. Also take a look at our upcoming rides section and try to get in on a future ride. 

Welcome Danger Dave,

I am new to the forum and adventure riding too. I have a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere. I have taken it briefly off road, but the ground was much softer from the recent rains than I expected, the bike started moving in unsavory ways (probably lack of experience, confidence and skill on my part), I was by myself, no one knew where I was, so I opted to quit while I was ahead and turn around. So be careful with your big bike off road.

What size V-strom did you get?

I am in the Eastlake/Otay Ranch part of Chula Vista. Depending on where you are at, maybe we can ride out on the 94 or something together.

Hope to see you on the trails.

Regards,

Erik

The V-Strom is a good machine, you can take it anywhere you wanna go.

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

15 minutes ago, tntmo said:

The V-Strom is a good machine, you can take it anywhere you wanna go.

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

I agree. I was seriously considering the V-Strom when I was bike shopping. The only things that concerned me where, non-spoked wheels, though I think there is a model that comes with spoked wheels and the other was a smaller front tire. I have watched countless hours of youtube videos of far more competent riders thoroughly enjoying the V-Strom on all sorts of adventures.

I wish I could afford more than the two bikes I already own. If I could, a V-Strom might just follow me home one day. Ugh... too many cool bikes, not enough money.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your bike.

Gotta love the VStrom👍, I do!D062AB1B-F9F2-48B0-98F4-74AA1983E813.thumb.jpeg.1370f959b3bc3aab4e2230e339330823.jpeg524DBE1B-5E18-4B65-B3C9-A5D99BDCF5BC.thumb.jpeg.5c8b4d1a4cc6c56fb848bff7a941d832.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your bike.

Gotta love the VStrom👍, I do!D062AB1B-F9F2-48B0-98F4-74AA1983E813.thumb.jpeg.1370f959b3bc3aab4e2230e339330823.jpeg524DBE1B-5E18-4B65-B3C9-A5D99BDCF5BC.thumb.jpeg.5c8b4d1a4cc6c56fb848bff7a941d832.jpeg

Awesome pictures. Where is that?

16 hours ago, DangerDaveSD said:

Good afternoon all,

- Dave

Double D - with a screen name like DangerDave, we all look forward to some exhilarating ride reports and pictures! ;) Welcome to the forum...

Thank you all for the warm welcome. 

@socalhodaka I'm in the UTC area, but my family has a ranch out in Julian, so I spend a lot of time up there. Hoping to start exploring the dirt roads a bit more.

@erik_26 I got the 2018 V-Strom 650XT which has the spoked wheels. I'd love to get out there at some point soon. I'm still getting used to the Strom on-road. I still have less than 1000 miles on the clock.

@350thumper @SoCalMule @Dress4Less The name comes from my college rugby days. I'd tend to run full bore into people with no regard for my, or anyones well being. If you were in my way, you were getting run over. The joke was that I was a danger to myself and those around me, regardless if I was on your team or not... Don't worry, I don't ride like that.

• Haha 1