paulmbowers

Sunday December 9th non-expert ride through Fish Creek

Hey Bagster, you have 48 hours to find that pesky thorn! Hint Hint...

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Eh- there will be enough.

Oh yeah, just looked over the tracks.  More than enough!

I'm going to try my best to make it out there, if I can get out of something planned for Sunday. I took the XR650L down Rodriquez and up Grapevine last Sunday in excellent conditions! Have been down Fish Creek many times in the 4x4 and mountain bike, but usually down Diablo, I've never been down HAH before.

I'll likely ride in from north San Diego -> Ramona -> Julian if I can make it, don't have a way to truck the BRP.

I’m thinking about joining in on this if my schedule permits. I’m a n00b on a KTM 690 and haven’t made it out to Anza Borrego yet. Looks like a fun ride, but the “Heart Attack Hill” and “The Squeeze” parts have me a little intimidated.

Let’s see if we can help you decide- do you have much experience and expertise in deep sand?

I have no recent deep sand experience, but used to ride my XR350 in the sand back in the 80's (With no claim of expertise back then either). So a little rusty, to say the least. 

3 minutes ago, SANRider said:

I have no recent deep sand experience, but used to ride my XR350 in the sand back in the 80's (With no claim of expertise back then either). So a little rusty, to say the least. 

This one's hard to know, and the tricky part of this ride is the lack of bailouts- the hardest parts are right up front, and it's 22+ miles to pavement. Also included in this package are a couple technical rocky uphills. AND! We'll be there to help- nobody gets left behind, everybody gets the help they need. if It's just not working, Mark will ride your bike through the tricky parts while I relax and enjoy a sip of water from my Camelbak.

And we also want you to enjoy the ride, not get your bike and your body hammered in the process.

So this is a self-assessment process. This could be VERY fun for you!

I am on the lurking maybe list.  Have to do some maintenance tonight.

17 minutes ago, BP rides said:

I’m in. See you Sunday at 0900. OK to park truck at staging area?

I've always parked there without repercussions.

Rider meeting 8:59, Kickstands 9:07.

Hey gang, I was out there today and Fishcreek definitely flowed yesterday. Still some running water today. Riding conditions should be EPIC on Sunday.

Looks like a buddy and myself will make this ride with you guys.

I like the dry sand, guess it"ll be just as nice without all the dust.

Some guys on San Diego Dual Sport riders have a very similar loop.(they post on facebook)

4 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

This one's hard to know, and the tricky part of this ride is the lack of bailouts- the hardest parts are right up front, and it's 22+ miles to pavement. Also included in this package are a couple technical rocky uphills. AND! We'll be there to help- nobody gets left behind, everybody gets the help they need. if It's just not working, Mark will ride your bike through the tricky parts while I relax and enjoy a sip of water from my Camelbak.

And we also want you to enjoy the ride, not get your bike and your body hammered in the process.

So this is a self-assessment process. This could be VERY fun for you!

Pauls right, if there is a section of the trail that someone absolutely does not want to tackle... one of us will be glad to get your bike to a point of comfort for you. Having said this... "anyone thinking of attending" this Sunday, please do a "gut-check" whether this is the ride for you. Someone that has little to no dirt experience... this is not the ride for you. It will be challenging. Someone wondering if the Desert Dash event (how this thread originally started) being held in February 2019 is something you would like to enter, and are willing to become a member of the AMA to ride in the Desert Dash, have some basic confidence in their riding abilities off-road... than by all means sling a leg over your bike and lets have a nice, easygoing, fun, and instructional practice ride traveling much of the trail that the Dash will cover. 

I myself would not attempt riding a 690 through the Squeeze (a rock pile) or down HAH. I know many big bike riders can,  just not me...Paul has a nice big bike that he has experience with and will need to help in this situation if necessary. I will sip my water and cheer him on though.

Maintenance done.  I'm in.  Thanks for offering this up!

Well tomorrow, I need to hang xmas lights, buy a Xmas tree and decorate, was my bike, change the oil and check the valves.  If I get all that done, I can make it

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, paulmbowers said:

I truck out- I live near the airport in San Diego. I’ll have a little bit of fuel available if someone needs a splash. 

Tracks available by clicking on the link below:

December 9th 2018 Ride.GPX

Thanks for the tracks Paul! :good:

8 minutes ago, Dress4Less said:

Thanks for the tracks Paul! :good:

You coming out?

This 5 minute video has everything to do with Sunday's ride; please consider giving it a look. 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:42 AM, paulmbowers said:

First, welcome!

Guessing here a bit, I suspect we'll have 25-37 minutes on pavement altogether- in pieces here and there.

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to riding with you.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:45 AM, SoCalMule said:

Probably 80% dirt. Most of those attending this ride do it on the glorious 500 exc. Hope you make this one; it's going to be a fine time had by all. 

Thanks for the reply. I / we'll be hauling the bikes from Murrieta.

Someone indicated that staging spot is legitimate for trucks. 

See you there!

19 minutes ago, EXC Yankee said:

Someone indicated that staging spot is legitimate for trucks. 

Not exactly ;  )

Just that I've never had repercussions parking there. It might be 100% illegal- I have no idea.

Suffice to say it's an accepted practice, but if you're towed away, I'm not responsible.

18 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Not exactly ;  )

Just that I've never had repercussions parking there. It might be 100% illegal- I have no idea.

Suffice to say it's an accepted practice, but if you're towed away, I'm not responsible.

No worries.. You haul your bike out and park there, right?

15 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Not exactly ;  )

PMB will be responsible, he's just kidding. People leave their horse trailers there all the time. Be a long way home by horse if towed.

Got the bike loaded and gear ready for tomorrow. Have a family XMAS party today in Santee till eight tonight, so I only want to have to get in to my riding gear in the morning, and get on the road...especially since PMB will be Johnny-on-the-spot by arriving at the staging area by 4am. ;)