paulmbowers

Sunday December 9th non-expert ride through Fish Creek

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

And sometimes old dudes nail the line, right Crawdaddy?:20160110_083630.thumb.jpg.efb7f1195b57b2f7fe1f269b8aabf4b7.jpg

You almost had me until I saw this!

OK, it's Thursday morning- looks like we have little rain out there (waiting for a Mark report) but the size of the group is still very small. 

So far, I count among the committed (or should be anyway):

• Me
  • SoCalMule
  • Van
  • amgems
  • Sneeker
  • Danmule

Did I miss anyone?

All great folks with whom I've been fortunate to ride with in the past, and so far a very different kind of ride that originally proposed. This was originally going to be a n00b-ish ride- are you folks still interested in riding that day, that time and that route without the n00b-ishes?

Ride remains open with original intent....

(Two mules?)

UPDATE: This ride was posted on Flying Monkey's Facebook Account, with at least one more rider. So, we're on. 

12 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

OK, it's Thursday morning- looks like we have little rain out there (waiting for a Mark report) but the size of the group is still very small. Many lurkers, some unnecessary picking and bickering from "management", some helpful observations about the weather, more observations about technique.

So far, I count among the committed (or should be anyway):

• Me
  • SoCalMule
  • Van
  • amgems

Did I miss anyone?

All great folks with whom I've been fortunate to ride with in the past, and so far a very different kind of ride that originally proposed. This was originally going to be a n00b-ish ride- are you folks still interested in riding that day, that time and that route without the n00b-ishes?

Ride remains open with original intent....

No noobs in that group.

Just now, Covered in Dust said:

No noobs in that group.

Exactly. I'm probably the n00bishist in that lineup. Might be the youngest, too :lol:

12 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Exactly. I'm probably the n00bishist in that lineup. Might be the youngest, too :lol:

The youngest? We have had a very nice and slow (off and on) light rain for the past 24 hours, that usually tamps down the Desert floor to a pristine riding condition. Plus... its fun to look at the roost marks left by the non-noobish! I'm either way for the ride on Sunday. Most of us that might go Sunday are going to put in around 500 miles in the three days we're down in Baja so... my "old self" will be filled to the brim in Motology for the month of December! :angel:

I'm still interested. I'm flexible on route, date, time, etc......You call it. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

The youngest? We have had a very nice and slow (off and on) light rain for the past 24 hours, that usually tamps down the Desert floor to a pristine riding condition. Plus... its fun to look at the roost marks left by the non-noobish! I'm either way for the ride on Sunday. Most of us that might go Sunday are going to put in around 500 miles in the three days we're down in Baja so... my "old self" will be filled to the brim in Motology for the month of December! :angel:

Unknown.jpeg

1 minute ago, amgems said:

I'm still interested. I'm flexible on route, date, time, etc......You call it. 

Unknown.jpeg

I am out for Sunday, I AM going to tackle this route/challenge. Possibly on Monday or later next week as I’ll be off the next two weeks. I need to figure out the starting point and trail route. 

2 minutes ago, Huntndogs said:

I am out for Sunday, I AM going to tackle this route/challenge. Possibly on Monday or later next week as I’ll be off the next two weeks. I need to figure out the starting point and trail route. 

There’s a video I posted elsewhere on this site showing last week’s ride. I can send you the gpx if you can use it. 

A philosophical moment shared by an old Mule...

Wherever you are, is just fine…You can get to wherever you want to be from wherever you are… It’s time to stop measuring where you are in relationship to where anybody else is. The only factor that has anything to do with you is where you are in relationship with where you want to be.

Excerpted from Asheville, NC on 10/25/03

Our Love
Esther (Abraham and Jerry)

10 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

There’s a video I posted elsewhere on this site showing last week’s ride. I can send you the gpx if you can use it. 

That would be helpful. I have never ridden this area and would pick up a trail map from the rangers while there. I’ll PM an e mail Mr. Bowers 

It was suggested that some of the noobs sit out, especially if not proficient in sand. In addition to that, the only bike I have in my stable that I would take is a TW200, too slow for the pace of the ride. My Super Tenere is way to big for my skill level and confidence on such a trail. Finally, I don't have spare tubes or a tool kit with tire irons at the ready. Those are things I need to acquire.

Just now, erik_26 said:

It was suggested that some of the noobs sit out, especially if not proficient in sand. In addition to that, the only bike I have in my stable that I would take is a TW200, too slow for the pace of the ride. My Super Tenere is way to big for my skill level and confidence on such a trail. Finally, I don't have spare tubes or a tool kit with tire irons at the ready. Those are things I need to acquire.

I'm still a maybe on this, but there is no machine or rider too slow for the pace of the ride.  The reason this was put together was so that someone who may be intimidated by this ride can feel comfortable and gain confidence without worry of "holding up the group".  Just something to think about.

36 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Here is an overview of the area that you are asking about. Just a few miles to the South of Scissors Crossing on S2. Go a 1/4 mile past the little store and RV park turn left and follow the trail. 

Pinyon Mtn Valley.jpg

For me it’s just a timing thing...Not afraid of the challenge. I’ve fallen before and I’ll surely fall again at some point. Sounds like a good gauge of me and my bikes current abilities.

5 minutes ago, Sneeker said:

One must consider Einstein's "spooky action at a distance." and "string theory."  I should not have posted my philosophical moment...too distracting! from the intent of PMB's offer for a safe ride for noobs to come and practice a bit of challenge before the Desert Dash! Obviously at your own pace, guided by two guys that will be happy to answer any questions that you may have, and to give amateur advise when asked thread.

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

No noobs in that group.

Coming from you Chris, this a true compliment. 

I'm good for the ride either way.  I don't mine any pace and welcome nOObs to come out and ride with us.  More the merrier!

I highly recommend new riders to join this group

14 minutes ago, Slaugo said:

I highly recommend new riders to join this group

New riders don’t know where this is?!