paulmbowers

Sunday December 9th non-expert ride through Fish Creek

That’s great, keep it up! 

I learned a lot at Motoventures- if you have the time, $ (it’s reasonable) and interest it’s certainly worth all of it. 

I'm in....for the entertainment value.  I'll bring the popcorn!

8 hours ago, erik_26 said:

Thank you, SoCal Mule. Great videos, huge help.

The first one looks doable for me, that is until I vaguely get a glimpse of how steep it is toward the end of the video. The GoPros have a tenancy to flatten out terrain. Does anyone have any pictures of Heart Attack hill that really put it into perspective?

The second video is exactly how I would take that section. Looks doable for me too, until the sand part towards the end. Then again, I am not sure how high some of those rocks are to know if I would have enough clearance on a TW200. I am thinking of buying a WR250r, I don't know if that would fair any better.

The TW 200 would do well on this loop. Just wouldn’t be up to the pace. 

Here’s a picture for perspective in the mighty KLR. 

0B56585C-5108-49B2-B059-FB9CF7C34B50.jpeg

10 hours ago, Slaugo said:

The TW 200 would do well on this loop. Just wouldn’t be up to the pace. 

Here’s a picture for perspective in the mighty KLR. 

0B56585C-5108-49B2-B059-FB9CF7C34B50.jpeg

Gotcha. I am a slow rider anyways. That is something I need to correct, specifically on sand. I need to get the speed up to get on top of the sand. I'll get there.

Do you guys ride up heart attack hill or is it just a one way down?

12 hours ago, Bagstr said:

" You coming Gov? "

IMG_0775-L.jpg

IMG_0777-M.jpg

Brrrrrrrrrr!

Its one way...down.  ABS Park states its one-way too.  There are some who go up, but I've not seen it. 

7 hours ago, erik_26 said:

Gotcha. I am a slow rider anyways. That is something I need to correct, specifically on sand. I need to get the speed up to get on top of the sand. I'll get there.

Do you guys ride up heart attack hill or is it just a one way down?

A guy recently went up on a BMW. No photos or video. Decades ago it was much easier to go up. Pretty tough now. 

The sand gets deep after HA hill. But the tw dies well in it. 

On 12/2/2018 at 9:49 PM, paulmbowers said:

Yes, of course there are people that have done it. Yes of course it's not so fun on the big bikes.

That doesn't apply to everyone...most yes, but I know some people who love that loop on big bikes like 950's and 1200GS's.

30 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

That doesn't apply to everyone...most yes, but I know some people who love that loop on big bikes like 950's and 1200GS's.

Ok.

Sorry.

I have edited the original post to allow for your observation.

Lurking also, not too worried about the hill as much as deep sand since I am on a low power 250. Does anyone have a GPX file of this loop they would share?

Everyone I’ve seen go down on the hill was because they took there feet off the pegs, now no rear brake.   Stand up and use both F-R brakes for a controlled decent. 

27 minutes ago, socalhodaka said:

Everyone I’ve seen go down on the hill was because they took there feet off the pegs, now no rear brake.   Stand up and use both F-R brakes for a controlled decent. 

+1!

Area Forecast Discussion 
  National Weather Service San Diego CA 
  444 AM PST Wed Dec 5 2018 
Rainfall amounts through Thursday night...   
  Coast.........1 to 1.5 inches  
  Valleys.......1 to 1.5 inches  
  Mountains.....1 to 1.5 inches (locally 2 to 3 inches on south facing slopes)  
  High desert...0.5 to 0.75 inch  
  Low desert....0.25 to 0.50 inch 

If Fish Creeks gets that much rain the neophytes may not get a chance to play in soft sand, but in hero dirt.

LURKING

Sounds like some folks may head out that way to try the hill for the first time on their own schedule, and with some buddies (good idea).  

Some newbie insights: :)  As you look down the hill from atop, already proud that you navigated the squeeze and the steps, you may prefer the left entry point, dependent upon the conditions, as it can allow a crawl speed for a few more yards before you jump into fully riding (which can keep your speed down, including too much back brake skidding speed). You may also notice that the road goes to the left at the bottom.  Yet, there is a little stub of a straight that dead ends immediately (the potential for going too far may be entertained, but I haven't seen that happen on a bike).  Regardless, for many, a controlled descent headed straight to the stub with the intent to stop in the center of the stub is a good idea.  From that point, after your shout of Yahoo, a careful turn to the actual route will allow you to leave Heart attack hill a little more happy.

This is evident in the video (of the green bike), but I wanted folks to know it may have been intentional, not a random choice.

My only bif on that hill was while cutting the corner too fast to the left, I used too much front brake and the front wheel slipped out in the soft stuff.  Experienced riders know to be careful with that poor technique.

If other newbs or experienced riders can offer insights, even if contradictory to mine, all good if it helps others prep for the Dash, if it heads that way this year.  Cheers. 

32 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

prep for the Dash, if it heads that way this year.  Cheers. 

There have been plans in the works to bypass HAH for those who choose to do so by way of Diablo. 

Me and the bike are ready for Sunday! Replaced my KTMooshy Nitro Mousses with some Kenda Tough Tubes. Used Mousse grease (Thick Silicon) on the tubes and beads for easy installation procedures, and limiting potential pinch-flats; since I will be running 11-12 psi (depending on OAT) cuz I like traction! with minimal wheel deflection. And no... tubes don't slip in the tire when greased. Torqued the spokes, lubed the chain, checked the fluids, and readied the Day Tripper bags with tools and tube (not too used to this procedure). Going to be pretty cool starting out from the top of Pinion Mountain at 9:00 am Sunday guys.

Looking forward to a few people signing up that have some reservations about practicing something a little more challenging than they are used to. The guys that mentioned that they are not too sure of their skill level or abilities for the Desert Dash is why PMB created this safe, no pressure, "spotters on sight," practice ride in the first place! I'd like to see those folks attend. You's comprende? (practicing my spanglish for the Baja ride on the 14th) :thumbsup_anim:

I may go just for the entertainment value. Even seasoned riders sometimes find themselves doing dirt inspections on HAH, right Dressforless:20160110_083715.thumb.jpg.9044851dca384b3d1641fcab81212918.jpg

And sometimes old dudes nail the line, right Crawdaddy?:20160110_083630.thumb.jpg.efb7f1195b57b2f7fe1f269b8aabf4b7.jpg