paulmbowers

Sunday December 9th non-expert ride through Fish Creek

Based on our discussion on another thread, I've contacted SoCalMule and we've decided to offer a non-expert ride through Fish Creek on Sunday the 9th. 

This is not a 100% n00b ride- you'll need some experience and be properly equipped- riding gear, tools, tubes and sparkling attitude. It's an opportunity to ride at a achievable pace with others who expect you to struggle and will be happy to help you through the tougher parts and/or celebrate with you when it all goes smoothly.

Meet at Pinyon parking area, ( 33.056900, -116.420294 ) rider's meeting at 859 sharp, kickstands up by 907. Probably 100-ish miles maximum- I work early the next morning. Street legal bikes- there will be pavement miles returning to the staging area, and it's in the state park.

Experienced riders welcome!

This is not a route easily suited for big ADV bikes. Yes, of course there are people that have done it. Yes of course in my opinion it's not so fun on the big bikes.

Click the link below  " December 9th 2018 Ride.GPX " which SHOULD download the tracks- there are 7.  I'm unable to help you with GPS setup, sorry, but if there are download issues, please let me know.

December 9th 2018 Ride.GPX

Sunday.....probably. 

Not sure how I'm busier now than ever, but I guess I will see later in the week.

A couple of things to review prior to this ride/clinic: What is the "attack position?" Why "looking forward" and picking your line, not looking at what you don't want to hit is so important. I'm adding a link here from Barry of Enduro Cross Training Skills. He is an above average rider (I feel that he is a great rider) with a huge following due to his humor and humble attitude. I recommend that you subscribe and review many of the riding skills addressed on this channel. Cheers Mate! SCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=127cnl2Rx-4

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Sunday.....probably. 

Not sure how I'm busier now than ever, but I guess I will see later in the week.

Let's get your radio going!

11 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Let's get your radio going!

I should get a bike going first.

May I suggest a preliminary Flat Dez screening day. Unless a rider is comfortable in a deep wash, You will be throwing riders At and Off steps.

😎

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

May I suggest a preliminary Flat Dez screening day. Unless a rider is comfortable in a deep wash, You will be throwing riders At and Off steps.

😎

"This is not a 100% n00b ride- you'll need some experience and be properly equipped[...]"

Another weekend yes.

Can't do the 8th, day after company overnight Christmas Party at Torrey Pines resort.

Still gauging interest...

Here is another good video for the "how to" folks riding deep sand...Cheers! SCM

Maybe for me, thanks for the nice offer. I’ve been pretty intimidated to try hah😬

I can’t commit yet though. 

This will be my last instructional video posted here...your on your own now :o now get those PW 50s out of the garage, dust them off and start practicing! :D

The instructional videos are great.

What would be a huge help is if a member were to record the complete trail, broken up into parts, and post it on Youtube. I am somewhat confident on my little TW200, but I do have some mental limitations, mainly sand and mud at the moment. I need to practice more on sand and in mud. I guess I don't have experience with step ledges either. I think of a staircase in a home, I could probably ride down that without issue. Add loose rock and obstacles, maybe not so much at least not at speed. Going up said staircase, never tried so I guess that is something else I will need to practice.

Having a video to see the trail would be huge. It doesn't have to be a how to.

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Funny what they call sand down undah.
I call that traction.

;)

1 hour ago, erik_26 said:

The instructional videos are great.

What would be a huge help is if a member were to record the complete trail, broken up into parts, and post it on Youtube. I am somewhat confident on my little TW200, but I do have some mental limitations, mainly sand and mud at the moment. I need to practice more on sand and in mud. I guess I don't have experience with step ledges either. I think of a staircase in a home, I could probably ride down that without issue. Add loose rock and obstacles, maybe not so much at least not at speed. Going up said staircase, never tried so I guess that is something else I will need to practice.

Having a video to see the trail would be huge. It doesn't have to be a how to.

Here is another glimpse as to what you may see on Sunday...

5 hours ago, Bagstr said:

😎

You coming Gov?

Thank you, SoCal Mule. Great videos, huge help.

The first one looks doable for me, that is until I vaguely get a glimpse of how steep it is toward the end of the video. The GoPros have a tenancy to flatten out terrain. Does anyone have any pictures of Heart Attack hill that really put it into perspective?

The second video is exactly how I would take that section. Looks doable for me too, until the sand part towards the end. Then again, I am not sure how high some of those rocks are to know if I would have enough clearance on a TW200. I am thinking of buying a WR250r, I don't know if that would fair any better.

3 minutes ago, erik_26 said:

, I don't know if that would fair any better.

This won’t be the last opportunity to experience this route, and based on your questions and reservations, I’d encourage you to work on basic skills a while longer. 

Fish Creek ain’t going anywhere 😎

25 minutes ago, erik_26 said:

Thank you, SoCal Mule. Great videos, huge help.

The first one looks doable for me, that is until I vaguely get a glimpse of how steep it is toward the end of the video. The GoPros have a tenancy to flatten out terrain. Does anyone have any pictures of Heart Attack hill that really put it into perspective?

The second video is exactly how I would take that section. Looks doable for me too, until the sand part towards the end. Then again, I am not sure how high some of those rocks are to know if I would have enough clearance on a TW200. I am thinking of buying a WR250r, I don't know if that would fair any better.

You are welcome Erik. The WR 250 would probably work well over the TW; though it depends...riders over 160# would do better on a slightly larger displacement bike in the desert setting. This is just my opinion and opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one...well, most everyone. I agree with PMB's advise to you; but having said that, he is my friend, and I don't want him mad at me...he rides an all black KTM 500 with zero stickers on it after all.

Mule

Should be some great traction out there if the forecasted rain pulls through. I will be working on the property....stop by for a cold beer on your way out.

If you do Grapevine you might see me on my bicycle !

5 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

This won’t be the last opportunity to experience this route, and based on your questions and reservations, I’d encourage you to work on basic skills a while longer. 

Fish Creek ain’t going anywhere 😎

Agreed. Aside from skill building, I also need to build endurance standing on the pegs and movin' my large butt around.... lol.

I rode a decent distance and did some shifting and turning on my Super Tenere. It was on pavement, but it still felt good. 

I'll keep practicing and I will get there. I am having fun regardless.