TonyWilliams

New bike - ALTA EXR

I haven’t ridden in 6 years, and on whim, I bought an Alta EXR dual sport 50hp all-electric bike. No oil, gasoline, air filter, clutch, gears, etc, should fit my lazy bike maintenance methods quite well. 

Of course, cleaning, suspension set-up and regular maintenance of tires, wheel bearings, chain, sprockets and brake pads will still need attention. Plus, everything I break, like the bars, plastic, lights, etc, will need some of my labor.

I’m looking forward to exploring San Diego county, and also doing some MX track time. I’ve been out of it long enough to not know where folks are riding these days! 

C9D6FFED-414C-4F36-9787-CA57C566F955.jpeg

I was mind blown riding the standard EX model on the Cahuilla Vet track as a demo. Its quite the machine.

Awesome bike bummer about compqny going under hopefully someone will pick it back up

2 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

Welcome to the site. Cool bike, what is the range?

I think they say 30-60 miles... about what any gasoline motocross bike will do.

25 minute Motos

1.5 hours to recharge.

i need to make a plug on my tow vehicle to charge the bike in the pits.

53 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

I was mind blown riding the standard EX model on the Cahuilla Vet track as a demo. Its quite the machine.

You still riding Husky?

ive ridden the Super Moto bike in downtown, as a demo. TOTALLY FUN!!!

Then, a few days ago, a buddy of mine got the MXR bike. I rode it behind his shop in a field. Stupid powerful.

I knew I wanted “street legal”, so I think I bough the last ALTA EXR in San Diego.

8 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Awesome bike bummer about compqny going under hopefully someone will pick it back up

I know a guy bidding on it. Even if it doesn’t, this bike can be built by somebody else.

Welcome to the site. Nice bike.

I don't think I could bring myself to purchase an electric motorcycle or vehicle. I suppose in a decade or two, we probably wont have much of a choice in CA. 

Anyways, I think there is a dirt bike track off of Otay Lakes road, on the way out to Jamul. It is just past the Skydive place but before Pio Pico campground.

10 hours ago, erik_26 said:

Welcome to the site. Nice bike.

I don't think I could bring myself to purchase an electric motorcycle or vehicle. I suppose in a decade or two, we probably wont have much of a choice in CA. 

Anyways, I think there is a dirt bike track off of Otay Lakes road, on the way out to Jamul. It is just past the Skydive place but before Pio Pico campground.

There are still lots of MX tracks around. It looks like Pala MX is now Fox. Barons Oaks is still running. Up north are lots more.

Why no electric? Are you from Saudi Arabia? ;-)

That thing looks pretty neat.  I bought some motorcycle parts up in Riverside and the dude I got them from had an electric motorcycle, he let me ride it.  Really changed my mind on them.  It was quick, fun, quiet.  I know they have their place in the world and don't fit everyone's needs at this time but I could see owning one.  

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

8 hours ago, TonyWilliams said:

There are still lots of MX tracks around. It looks like Pala MX is now Fox. Barons Oaks is still running. Up north are lots more.

Why no electric? Are you from Saudi Arabia? ;-)

No, born and raised Californian.

I think that electric vehicles have their place. I get frustrated with them being sold under the guise of Zero Emissions. Reduced emissions could be a more appropriate claim, maybe I am just hung up on the semantics. I believe that we will see a real environmental impact, if not a crisis, in the next 15-20 years from the use of batteries. There will be a growing waste stream that we wont be prepared to deal with. I work in power, so I am a little more aware than the average end user.

Other short coming are the limited range, battery weight, charge time, finite life span of batteries and a non-linear rate of capacity decay over time. Resale value could be a future consideration along with battery replacement cost. We could see one of those pay me now vs. pay me later situations. What you save on fuel today could be equally consumed by battery replacement cost, disposal fees, future road use taxes and who knows what else.

But who can say for certain? I have been wrong many times before and I could be wrong now. Don't let my reservations and pessimistic view spoil your fun or your new bike. Get out there an enjoy the heck out of it.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:13 PM, erik_26 said:

Well, any battery electric vehicle is indeed “zero emissions”. The semantics are that if there is a non-Zero emission source of electricity (like a gasoline generator), then certainly THAT’S not Zero Emission. I have had 35 solar panels on my roof at home, generating all the Zero Emission electricity that I need.

For your ecological concerns about batteries, I presume gasoline is ok?

I see it is street legal . For the off road ones do you have to get a Green Sticker or are you exempt ?

6 hours ago, TonyWilliams said:

Well, any battery electric vehicle is indeed “zero emissions”. The semantics are that if there is a non-Zero emission source of electricity (like a gasoline generator), then certainly THAT’S not Zero Emission. I have had 35 solar panels on my roof at home, generating all the Zero Emission electricity that I need.

For your ecological concerns about batteries, I presume gasoline is ok?

The problem with solar is that the sun doesn't shine at night (please don't read that in a condescending or disrespectful tone).  So if an electric car/motorcycle or what have you, is plugged in overnight, likely the source of energy is coming from a fossil fuel plant, i.e. Natural Gas, which is clean burning and are heavily regulated on emissions. Not a perfect solution, but important for grid reliability.

On a large scale, solar is actually putting the CA energy grid at risk and it is increasing GHGs. Solar isn't controlled. As the sun comes up, the grid is seeing a generation increase of 100 Mw/Hr or more. The large nuclear and natural gas plants need to load shed by at least that much to balance the grid. If other plants didn't reduce load, we would end up in an over voltage situation which would cause black outs as protective relays will start opening breakers to protect equipment. So now, you have this large combined cycled natural gas power plant unloading and running at a reduced load. This is not as efficient as when it is running optimally configured in its base load design. Now days, the solar power is so much, so fast, they actually end up shutting natural gas power plants offline. There is a transient during the shutdown process in which the emissions are very high, thus creating more GHG.

Natural gas plants aren't like light switches. Now, there are some simple cycle peaking plants that can be started and stopped within 15-30 minutes as a stop gap. However, they are the least efficient and the emissions from starting and stopping those plants is even higher. Plus, those plants don't have near the capacity as a large combined cycle power plant.

What happens during a grid emergency? Well, a large natural gas combined cycle power plant cannot be started quick enough to cover the load in the event of a grid emergency. So we could see black outs due to under voltage.

As the sun goes down, we are seeing a loss of 100 Mw/hr or more. So now the large power plants have to start up, which takes a long time and emits even more emissions than if they were just left on. Thus again, increasing GHGs.

Solar isn't bad. By no means am I trying to demonize it. But, it isn't the cowboy in the white hat like folks have been lead to believe. Like most things in life, there has to be a balance and moderation. Solar is important. It compliments our energy system. The same goes for wind, nuclear, hydro, natural gas.... they all have their place, none, are perfect on their own. 

If I had to pick one energy supply, it would be nuclear, hands down. But that is a topic for another day.

Gasoline isn't the best choice either. However, with certain motorcycles, I feel pretty good with fuel efficiency. Some bikes can get 70+ MPG. They take less material to make, do less damage to the road and don't require a lot of space. More motorcycles could ease congestion. Obviously, motorcycles aren't an ultimate solution either. We still need pickup trucks, SUVs, cars, semi trucks... etc. Some of the modern EFI systems are doing a great job of increasing fuel economy. Not to mention, the correct amount of fuel is used at a given altitude and RPM. Modern vehicles have emissions abatement systems as well, such as catalysts. A better alternative to gasoline would be diesel, in moderation of course and mainly, natural gas. I think batteries in cars can be a good thing. A hybrid system is a great example of two technologies complementing each other. But there has to be a more honest conversation about the environmental impact of batteries.

Believe me, I don't have all the answers. If I did, I would be locked away in some sort of secret government laboratory.... lol. I am wrong all the time too. Plus, I do have bias, as I work in power generation. Finally, I have opinions, theories that are my own. No one has to agree or like them. I am always happy to have a respectful conversation and debate things. There are a lot of good things about solar. There is a lot to like. The advancements in solar are exciting too. I think we have a long way to go on batteries, but I have no doubt we will get there.

I am interested to read your review on your new bike. Some of the videos I have watched on them are pretty cool. It is kind of funny to watch someone creep up silently on a very capable dirt bike, especially when you are used to associating the loud tinny tone of a fire breathing 2-stroke. Then, when you see the electric bike shred the landscape effortlessly and in silence, it is pretty awesome.

Thanks for your input now back to dirt bikes please

This is a perfect example of thread Hijacking!  This is getting out of control. This happens so much with these little side distractions that take on a life in a posted thread that makes people not want to go back to said post because it is so full of garbage. People PLEASE STOP Hijacking others threads!

14 minutes ago, ADV Bum said:

This is a perfect example of thread Hijacking!  This is getting out of control. This happens so much with these little side distractions that take on a life in a posted thread that makes people not want to go back to said post because it is so full of garbage. People PLEASE STOP Hijacking others threads!

I have to disagree a little. Sometimes it’s a natural progression of a topic and it might wander a little. If all everyone said was nice bike I would have been done with thread after 2 or 3 post. Now I find it interesting. 

Just my opinion

CiD

Cool new toy!  Hope to see it in person sometime.  Sounds like an interesting tool for the track.

Agreed.  Not a hijack but a broadening of the conversation and interesting. 

One thing about charging the bike, power never goes off at night.  That power is there whether you use it or not.

My worry about these electric motos is that the silent nature of them will embolden people to poach off-limits in areas where they will aggravate hikers, dog walkers and such.  Which then will put more pressure on politicians and bureaucrats to further restrict or close our riding areas.

20 minutes ago, Sneeker said:

Cool new toy!  Hope to see it in person sometime.  Sounds like an interesting tool for the track.

Agreed.  Not a hijack but a broadening of the conversation and interesting. 

One thing about charging the bike, power never goes off at night.  That power is there whether you use it or not.

My worry about these electric motos is that the silent nature of them will embolden people to poach off-limits in areas where they will aggravate hikers, dog walkers and such.  Which then will put more pressure on politicians and bureaucrats to further restrict or close our riding areas.

That is an interesting concern, regarding the riding out of bounds on a silent bike. I didn't even consider that or the implications. I think most people will follow the rules and be respectful of the limits. There is always going to be a knuckle head or two that give everyone else a bad rap.

I am growing more curious of seeing the OP's bike in person and watching it in action.

To be honest if i got an electric bike i would poach, but i do have an electric assist mountain bike that i hit up legal trails near my house and its amazing the climbs i can make where a normal pedal bike couldnt make it

2 hours ago, Bp619 said:

To be honest if i got an electric bike i would....

Yup, my handle is Sneeeker for a reason:  If I'm not seen, heard, or smelt, and leave hardly a trace...I was never there.

I mentioned before in another thread, don't even think for a second this is some sort of childs electric bike. And don't even make snide remarks without ever riding one of these.

Most of you know me here in SDAR, I rode a demo at Cahuilla Vet track on the standard EX model  , the MXR version was there but not for demos. I never took the thing off the # 1 setting the torque was eye opening , I can't even imagine the #4 setting. As stated before I would race this bike in an enduro out of the box. Yes its heavier than my 300 2 stroke but not far outside the weight parameters of a big 4 stroke and with some brands probably the same. Depending on your setting and throttle hand makes a big difference in the range. On a low setting I would think a 30 mile enduro loop is possible. Anyway that's my commentary (again) . The thing blew my mind when I rode it on the Cahuilla Vet track. I hope that someone grabs up the brand and capitalizes on all the R&D someone like.....Stefan Peirer for example.... an (better more competition oriented) electric Husky/KTM would be bitchen.

19 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

I mentioned before in another thread, don't even think for a second this is some sort of childs electric bike. And don't even make snide remarks without ever riding one of these.

Most of you know me here in SDAR, I rode a demo at Cahuilla Vet track on the standard EX model  , the MXR version was there but not for demos. I never took the thing off the # 1 setting the torque was eye opening , I can't even imagine the #4 setting. As stated before I would race this bike in an enduro out of the box. Yes its heavier than my 300 2 stroke but not far outside the weight parameters of a big 4 stroke and with some brands probably the same. Depending on your setting and throttle hand makes a big difference in the range. On a low setting I would think a 30 mile enduro loop is possible. Anyway that's my commentary (again) . The thing blew my mind when I rode it on the Cahuilla Vet track. I hope that someone grabs up the brand and capitalizes on all the R&D someone like.....Stefan Peirer for example.... an (better more competition oriented) electric Husky/KTM would be bitchen.

Do these have a gearbox, or is it just 100% voltage control? I was checking out a newer Honda African Twin with the DCT. I didn't get to demo it, but not shifting seems like it would be really weird. That is all I have ever known on a motorcycle. Many folks say they get used to it pretty quick, so I imagine the same would be true for the Alta. If it is 100% voltage control on the Alta EXR, how smooth is the throttle? Is it overly sensitive or does it feel intuitive?

100% power and torque on demand at the speed of light, is one of the biggest advantages of electric motors. When properly configured, they can do some incredible things. I remember when a 1st generation Tesla beat a Ferrari pretty easily in a drag race. Fast forward a little over a decade, some of the new hybrid hypercars are absolutely gorgeous and phenomenally incredible performance wise.

11 hours ago, kkug said:

I see it is street legal . For the off road ones do you have to get a Green Sticker or are you exempt ?

It will have a license plate, so no green sticker required. But, it should qualify for one (and I will put one on it).