trcooperone

2018 desert dash skill level

Failure is essential in everything.  To not want to fail is expected but with failure there's the opportunity to learn.  I consider myself a no talent rider but like most of my life I've been willing to take the punishment that I'm dealt for the things that I do and accept the opportunity to learn from it.  Education is essential to improvement and improvement is necessary to further your skills.  There is no need to fear what is unknown, simply accept the challenge to make it known to you and possibly find your limits.  Asking for help is not something to be embarrassed about.  Riding with a buddy is asking for help that you might not need but enjoying the company of that buddy in the meantime.  If I'm sounding a bit too philosophical I apologize, 48 hours of work and 4 hours of sleep turns down the squelch sometimes.  Focus, focus...  Deep sand is definitely an education, as are most of the areas around it as well.  My bike likes it so much that it loves taking naps in it, but I love my bike so much that I indulge it in such love.  The whole point is to come away at the end of the day with a smile on my face no matter where or how big the bruises are.  The day I don't have a smile on my face when I turn the key off will probably be the day that I don't turn the key back on.  A bit stoic but true.

6 minutes ago, BSon2or4 said:

Failure is essential in everything.  To not want to fail is expected but with failure there's the opportunity to learn.  I consider myself a no talent rider but like most of my life I've been willing to take the punishment that I'm dealt for the things that I do and accept the opportunity to learn from it.  Education is essential to improvement and improvement is necessary to further your skills.  There is no need to fear what is unknown, simply accept the challenge to make it known to you and possibly find your limits.  Asking for help is not something to be embarrassed about.  Riding with a buddy is asking for help that you might not need but enjoying the company of that buddy in the meantime.  If I'm sounding a bit too philosophical I apologize, 48 hours of work and 4 hours of sleep turns down the squelch sometimes.  Focus, focus...  Deep sand is definitely an education, as are most of the areas around it as well.  My bike likes it so much that it loves taking naps in it, but I love my bike so much that I indulge it in such love.  The whole point is to come away at the end of the day with a smile on my face no matter where or how big the bruises are.  The day I don't have a smile on my face when I turn the key off will probably be the day that I don't turn the key back on.  A bit stoic but true.

Indeed well said!

Here's a chance to ride this area with a couple of folks who've ridden it before and are willing to help:

I have recently picked up work at several YMCA's in San Diego and have several pools that I need to have completed before Christmas, which puts me out of this ride :(

This would have been a great opportunity for me to ride with 2 of the guys on this page that I am looking forward to riding with.  Very cool of you guys to put this together and hopefully one day it will happen again and I will be able to attend.

7 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Call in sick. 

Send a Lieutenant. 

I wish!  Bought my business partner out  in May and he kept my guy, so it is just the three of us now (me, myself and I).  Winter is slow in my industry and being on my own should allow me to pull off some trips now that I don't have to also answer to someone else. But when the Y tells me to jump I jump!

9 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I wish!  Bought my business partner out  in May and he kept my guy, so it is just the three of us now (me, myself and I).  Winter is slow in my industry and being on my own should allow me to pull off some trips now that I don't have to also answer to someone else. But when the Y tells me to jump I jump!

And given the most recent events with the Y and their use of pool chemistry, I suspect they are well-served.

Here is a link to a channel that I subscribe to. It's by a humorous, humble, above average rider, sharing dirt wisdom with the masses. It's great review for the seasoned dirt rider and excellent training for all the others.  I recommend to all whom are able to attend Paul's ride/clinic this Sunday to review some of the basics. Cheers! SCM

Thanks, Paul.  That was unfortunate and it happens more than I am sure is reported and is obviously not just a Y problem.  I am very happy to be able to help this great organization and will do all I can to keep folks safe!

Its been discussed in the past for the Dash to have an option around Pinion Mtn entry (the Squeeze, Heart-attack hill, and rocks) by using Diablo Drop as access to Fish Creek.  That would give the maybe n00bish and less experienced/or for what ever reason as mentioned above (maybe who otherwise would not do the ride) entry into Fish Creek to complete most of the event.  Have to ask those who know if that may happen or not. 

3 minutes ago, Van said:

Its been discussed in the past for the Dash to have an option around Pinion Mtn entry (the Squeeze, Heart-attack hill, and rocks) by using Diablo Drop as access to Fish Creek.  That would give the maybe n00bish and less experienced/or for what ever reason as mentioned above (maybe who otherwise would not do the ride) entry into Fish Creek to complete most of the event.  Have to ask those who know if that may happen or not. 

That seems to be a viable option Van. Anyone have "an in" to the top organizing official?

Yes, there will be that option to Diablo Dropoff this year, we talked about it months ago.