trcooperone

2018 desert dash skill level

I would like to take a friend of mine on essentially the 2018 desert dash route. He is just getting back into riding and bought himself a brand new 2018 ktm 500 exc-f. He is anxious to get some riding in and has had somef smaller trips but this would be his first big adventure. 

I did not ride last year and was curious what you all thought. Can a new guy ride it? 

It is hard for me to judge for myself. I am by know means an expert but hard for me to judge the level needed. 

I think he will be ok ;)

Rode part of that track on Wednesday.

No, I wouldn't take a n00b on that route.

Much of it is easy, but theres a LOT of deep sand untamed by rain and some of the toughest obstacles are near Heart-Attack Hill, furrows recently plowed by Bagstr hisself.

For n00bs, I look for routes that give a lot of fun for the effort- lots of reward.

Maybe you start at Split Mountain, ride up Fish Creek, maybe do some of Sandstone Canyon?

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Rode part of that track on Wednesday.

No, I wouldn't take a n00b on that route.

Much of it is easy, but theres a LOT of deep sand untamed by rain and some of the toughest obstacles are near Heart-Attack Hill, furrows recently plowed by Bagstr hisself.

For n00bs, I look for routes that give a lot of fun for the effort- lots of reward.

Maybe you start at Split Mountain, ride up Fish Creek, maybe do some of Sandstone Canyon?

Right on, thanks. Don't want to scare him away before he even gets started!

I've seen the info on the dash and it looks interesting; wonder if I could complete it?  I will admit that I have a bit of hesitation to riding this event, even though I have been on 2 wheels for 40+ years now.  Am I good enough?  I "grew up" in Glamis in the sand and switched to Ocotillo in the early 2000's and enjoy it.  But I have hesitated (time and competence questions) in regards to this event.  While my head says I can keep up with this group I do not want to embarrass myself. Love this page and hope to make some rides very soon, but wonder if I am worthy!  Good for you to ask the question and keep a noob enthused about our sport!

Edit:  When are you thinking of doing this?  If I could pull it off I would love to be a part of it.  I have oodles of patience and promise not to complain if I get to ride!  Heart attack hill intrigues (and scares me-but just for the name!) but most of the rest I have ridden (if I think I know where this goes).  

It all really depends on how fast you want to go versus how many times you want to pick up your bike while taking in to account how much punishment you can endure.  That's just my take on the area though as I grew up on the other side of the hill by Lake Cuyamaca.

Noobs would not like anything like the Squeeze or the Drop.  That's for sure.  Or some of the miles of deep sand.  Just sayin'....

Gotta start the technical stuff some time.

Patients, a good attitude, and good headwork is important. Having riding buddies along that are comfortable with the technical stuff (and are in a helping mode) can "spot" and guide the new rider (or the experienced rider that shies away from the more challenging) can be a great way to share what works with a noobie. When someone that is learning new riding skills, that is not "feeling pressured" to "keep up" with a group, much can be learned. Once an obstacle has been mastered, the sense of accomplishment will boost the confidence of any rider, which will be all encompassing for the overall pleasure of our sport. Having said this, the new rider needs to accept that their bike will get scratched and dented a bit. It's so worth it to practice all variations of dirt!

Ride on brothers and sisters! 

SCM

10 hours ago, simicrintz said:

While my head says I can keep up with this group I do not want to embarrass myself. Love this page and hope to make some rides very soon, but wonder if I am worthy! 

Positive self talk is so important. Embarrassment is useless, every human being is always worthy; in all situations. Anyone that feels otherwise is just living their life in fear, and we all need to have compassion for them; that journey can not be an easy one. Bruce, we've been SDAR friends for a while now, we should meet up for a ride soon. I'd like to see your new pumpkin! 

Yeah, you are right SoCalMule. The only way to learn is to go ride and attack difficult stuff, but it depends on the individual.

When I got my first dualsport bike in '94, I started riding tougher trails pretty quickly, that was the way I wanted to learn, I didn't want to be stuck riding easy trails.

But again, some people will go out and attack challenges and want to keep going and learning, while others may get discouraged by riding difficult stuff too soon.

So, it really depends on one's attitude and motivation.

Just now, KTMrad said:

Yeah, you are right SoCalMule. The only way to learn is to go ride and attack difficult stuff, but it depends on the individual.

Respectfully, I disagree a bit.

I think there's lots to be learned by training and practice before just going riding and attacking difficult stuff. Training and practice develops good riding habits (and avoids the bad ones) that contribute to safety and, most important, success when finally hitting the more difficult stuff. That success pattern rewards the beginning rider and might hopefully avoid injury to body, bike and spirit.

We've all seen under-talented riders (and I include myself in that description) in situations where they're completely overwhelmed and frustrated. Benton Hot Springs for those who remember. That's no fun for anyone. Yes, we all learn from overcoming difficulties, but I have come to believe there's a lot of benefit to the graduated method of challenges.

Further, it's good group practice. If one is going to enjoy the benefits of group riding, one also has responsibilities to that group, including an accurate assessment of ability. There are rides I won't do because I'd likely screw up the ride of others when they need to arrange transport for my injured body. Just not fair to the rest of the group for me to just go ride and attack environments well above my ability.

Of course there are exceptions- stuff happens, and groups are designed to assist one another. 

12 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I've seen the info on the dash and it looks interesting; wonder if I could complete it?  I will admit that I have a bit of hesitation to riding this event, even though I have been on 2 wheels for 40+ years now.  Am I good enough?  I "grew up" in Glamis in the sand and switched to Ocotillo in the early 2000's and enjoy it.  But I have hesitated (time and competence questions) in regards to this event.  While my head says I can keep up with this group I do not want to embarrass myself. Love this page and hope to make some rides very soon, but wonder if I am worthy!  Good for you to ask the question and keep a noob enthused about our sport!

Edit:  When are you thinking of doing this?  If I could pull it off I would love to be a part of it.  I have oodles of patience and promise not to complain if I get to ride!  Heart attack hill intrigues (and scares me-but just for the name!) but most of the rest I have ridden (if I think I know where this goes).  

I think it would be kind of cool to get a few people who have done some of this stuff to take some people who want to try it.  Let them challenge themselves at their own pace but be there to help give them support if needed, no pressure.  I'm down to help, done these trails before but by no means am I any sort of expert at it.....I could probably use some support myself!

Just now, tntmo said:

I think it would be kind of cool to get a few people who have done some of this stuff to take some people who want to try it.  Let them challenge themselves at their own pace but be there to help give them support if needed, no pressure.  I'm down to help, done these trails before but by no means am I any sort of expert at it.....I could probably use some support myself!

Yup, I'm in.

As long as they're not on Giant GS, Triumph Tigers or Super Teneres.

Oh.

uhh.

I was going to take my Kymco scooter or my Trail 90

2 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I would be happy to help. I'm in. 

The thing about the Pinyon/HAH/Fish Creek route, though- there are no bailouts. Especially once you've been down HAH.

I remember a ride several years ago where we did that- back when Fairchild was a "thing".

8 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I was going to take my Kymco scooter or my Trail 90

Might want to start with something lighter. 

My best advise, for what it's worth, is to take your friend to Ocotillo Wells SVRA. It's a hug area and is an excellent place to start riding and improving ones skill set. There is plenty of flat hard packed dirt to start on and plenty of increasingly complicated areas to add into your ride. Bailing out is as easy as turning around or just plain staying away from the hill climbs and sand washes.

I remember when I got my XR650 and took it (bone stock) out to Ocotillo.  Ran into one of my buddies who I grew up riding with who was also there and on his 426 Yamaha.  He always was a better rider than me but I was always able to keep up with him and we always had fun.  So it was natural to start following him around Ocotillo that day and start getting back into it!  We bomb around (I have no idea where we are-I was a Glamis guy remember?!) and the next thing I know we are running a ridge.  He takes a quick right and down he goes (found out later we were up on Shell Reef) so I follow.  I'm in first gear, go to shift to 2nd and hit neutral and end up ghost riding all the way down.......  I made it, but there still may be some remnants of seat stuck up my posterior to this day!

Love the sport and when I do get to get out I have a lot of fun with the group I ride with.  HAH just sounds spooky (I did watch a few videos on it earlier) and I may have already been on it (I usually ride sweep in my group and I have no idea where we are ever at!).  My Glamis days were on an XR500 with no paddle (aired down) and that was a blast, so I am somewhat used to sand.  I've gotten used to the terrain at Ocotillo and have ridden Superstition and Johnson Valley.  I am not a noob but I am certainly no pro either!

I like the idea of doing the Dash when it isn't really the Dash!  Sounds like a blast; hope I can make it if it happens!

3 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Bruce, we've been SDAR friends for a while now, we should meet up for a ride soon. I'd like to see your new pumpkin! 

You are one of the guys on here that I am looking forward to riding with; hope that happens soon!

Just for the record HAH isn’t really a big deal. It just gets really puffed up. Steep and long, but plenty of runoff and low speed. 

Move fallen on it, I’ve cleaned it- each time when I hit the bottom I think “What was I all worked up about?”

2 hours ago, tntmo said:

I think it would be kind of cool to get a few people who have done some of this stuff to take some people who want to try it.  Let them challenge themselves at their own pace but be there to help give them support if needed, no pressure. 

That seems to be the case every time I ride with Bowers..... :friends:

43 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Just for the record HAH isn’t really a big deal. It just gets really puffed up. Steep and long, but plenty of runoff and low speed. 

Move fallen on it, I’ve cleaned it- each time when I hit the bottom I think “What was I all worked up about?”

Same here.  I've slid out at the bottom a couple of times and other times !made it look like I knew what I was doing.  I always start by reminding myself that there is not a pile of dead bodies and broken bikes at the bottom. 

7 minutes ago, Riggerdan said:

That seems to be the case every time I ride with Bowers..... :friends:

Awwwww.  

You wound me so. 

Paul Bowers, that's why I said it's not for everyone and depends on the individual.