Reading some of the comments on another thread and the price to change a tire.  I will admit to taking my stuff to Cycle Gear in the past and having them do it (seems that I was paying around $15 per tire) but now I am wondering what is so hard about it?  I see trailside changes with minimal tools so it seems that a guys (or gals) garage would be good to do the work.  Why are we (I) paying to have a tire changed; what am I missing?  Am I just being lazy or is there some cosmic trick to doing this that only happens properly in the bowels of a shop?

I change my  tires at home. I use the tools I would use on the trail. Keeps you in practice for when your by yourself out on the trail. I do wish I had a balancing machine though!

• Like 1

It's not easy the first time you do it, but if you're going to be doing trail riding (especially by yourself) its' a great skill to have.  Just like ADV said, doing it with the trail tools is a good practice, but I have some nicer things to use at home because I've practiced enough!  

I have one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Tire-Changing-Changer-Stand-Bead-Breaker-Tool-Portable-Offroad-MX/201914835279?epid=732261028&hash=item2f030fe14f:g:H1IAAOSwdm1bDa~q:rk:3:pf:0

These are nice as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Height-Tire-Changing-Stand-Station-for-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-MX-Moto/231919410653?epid=1629961764&hash=item35ff795ddd:g:HxYAAOSwYmZXF5QU:rk:41:pf:0

You'll need some tire irons as well, Motion Pro makes some nice ones.  Either of those will pay for themselves after a few changes and having the skill to do it yourself is priceless.

Thanks guys.  I got some Bead Buddies from Pyro but that is it for specific tools.  I've changed 100 bicycle tires and am not all thumbs which makes me wonder what makes a motorcycle tire so difficult.  As for balancing (caution: stupid question ahead!) I was unaware that happened as I have never seen weights on a MC tire; what am I missing here?

I am going to go check out the links (thank you, Tom!) and try to learn some more.  Kinda feeling like I've been a wuss for too many years about this......

Come on by the tech day in a few weeks if you can, I'm sure someone will be changing tires so you can see it in person and maybe even lend a hand.

I am hoping to stop by, Tom.  And I'm not afraid to get dirty and lend a hand if helpful!

You can balance your own tires as well.  Harbor Freight has a stand I think, and they also sell wheel weights.  Otherwise you can order one from Ebay or Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Wheel-Balancer-Truing-Balancing-Rim-Street-Bike-Cruiser-Tire-Stand/182194326330?epid=24005352600&hash=item2a6ba0cb3a:rk:1:pf:0

I hardly ever balance dirt bike wheels, but if you do a lot of riding on the street it's worth it.  The rim lock really throws the balance off.

Thank you again, Tom; now I know why I haven't seen any weights on my rims!  I don't own a street specific bike so I guess I won't worry about that much (I have a buddy that has "spoke weights" on his bike across from his rim lock.  Never paid much attention but did notice them).

I have a  tire stand in my garage and I can usually put a new tire on in less than 30 minutes from putting bike on lift to getting it off. 

Good tire irons are a big help. I have 4 of these for in the shop. I don’t carry big ones like this on the trail but I’ve changed enough that I don’t need to practice in my garage.

Core Tools CT113 15" Curved Tire Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIKMWZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aliaCbX14G1QZ

proper technique is also very important. Watch a few videos on YouTube.

Always put new tire out in the sun to get warm. If no sun I’ll use a heat gun sometime to warm the new tire.

CiD

16 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Always put new tire out in the sun to get warm. If no sun I’ll use a heat gun sometime to warm the new tire.

CiD

Another good way to warm it up is to start your truck and put the tire under the hood, let it run for a bit and your tire will be a lot more pliable.

15 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Another good way to warm it up is to start your truck and put the tire under the hood, let it run for a bit and your tire will be a lot more pliable.

Good tip, for the 140 size motoz desert ht for my 950se that tire is a monster i had to put it under a welding blanket and 2 ceramic space heaters last year in winter so much easier. Also yes cid those levers are amazing did 2 front golden fattys yesterday with filled mousses and only the curved ones would get in there

Plead arthritis and Have CID do the change for U.

:ph34r:

Thanks, CiD; I'll check out the tools next.

I don't have to plead arthritis, Bagstr; it's real!

Will that tip work with my Prius Tom :)

Gonna bring this back up (sorry!).  I got the tire irons for Christmas and the new rear tire.  Figured I gotta get this done before the heat gets here and in case I get a chance to get out.  Got the old tire off without too much trouble but struggling with getting the new one on.  I will admit to not heating it up so that may be a part of my problem,  and I am really worried about pinching the tube.  I've watched a handful of YouTube videos but they are obviously done by guys who have done many of these before.  I can Mongo the thing like I just don't care and see where I end up or maybe some of you guys have a tip or video that I haven't seen?  As I sit in the garage all I can think of is you guys doing this in the dirt and I can't even do it in my garage with a full compliment of tools!  The goal is obviously to be able to do this myself and then transfer that knowledge to the dirt with less tools and possibly no heat.

Appreciate any input; thanks guys!

Angry!.jpeg

Small bites and sink the bead when you got like 3/4 of the 2nd bead on. Also some sort of lube helps 

You might have too much air in the tube ??? 

Bruce it is my recommendation to heat. The tire with a hair dryer if there is one in the home. Start on the opposite side of the rim lock. Spray the bead full circle with windex if you don’t have pool guy magic lube; if you do use it! Make sure that the rim lock is completely lose just thread the nut on a few turns. Remove you bead buddy. Start a few bites on the tire and hold with your knees (using your knees to keep the bead deep in the rim will make the job easier) have about a good 14 inches on the rim but push the bead into the center of the rim. Know you can place the bead buddy holding what you installed so far. Now take your small bites always keeping the bead as far in to the center of the rim. This provide more room to continue installing the tire. When you get the tire to the rim lock push up on the rim lock so.the bead will slip in below the rim lock. If necessary you can use a tire iron on the back side of the tier to lift the tire over the depressed (up) rim lock. I forgot to mention that the tube should have a little pressure in it and placed in the tire befor you start any work. I also rub the tube with the magic lube which is silicone grease (safe for tubes and tires, no swelling) which helps limit pinch flats in my opinion. Once you get one side of the tire on feed the valve stem through the rim and place the nut on so it doesn’t slip back through. Just be patient and after a few times you will have the confidence necessary to do it on the trail. I’m writing this from my baby screen on my phone so I hop it makes sense . Good luck! I have faith in you! Did I mention it’s a tiny screan and I don’t have my glasses on? 

Three irons; Get the opposite  bead down in the valley of the spokes;  I just use Windex as it evaporates; hold the tire with your knees and work the other side.

Lay down some cardboard or plywood on the floor to protect the bearing; put it on the desert floor!

For the trail, get three aluminum spoons, i.e. Motion Pro.  If it is hard, you do not have the tire in position.

You guys rock; a thousand thank you's!!  I'm gonna go back out this morning with a fresh attitude and this information and kick this things butt!  I know the first time is the hardest and I tried to keep that perspective last night, but at some point I just had to walk away!  I wanted to try this "dry" like if I was doing a trail repair (but all I would be doing there would be a tube change-not exactly the same) so I had no lube or heat and was definitely missing some technique (small bites, using my knees, etc.).

I bought that Jeepster sometime in the 80's, Brian.  Was putting SBC engines in Datsun trucks at the time and grenading front and rear ends.  The Jeepster was a buddy of mines Dad's and I bought it for the running gear.  Drove it home and my Dad asked me "what are you gonna do with that?".  Told him I was going to cut it up and stick it under another Datsun truck I had.  Dad was a car guy and wouldn't let me cut it up and traded me for a Datsun truck he had.  Dad passed away in 1995 and the old girl had been rotting away in Mom's grove where Dad parked it last.  I got it back sometime in the late 90's and redid it.  Since it had now been "Dad's Before" I got it back I got that license plate.

Thank you all again for all the help; Can't wait to get this tire on and get a chance to try it out!

• Like 1

If you have anymore troubles, you can just bring the tire and wheel over to my house.  I have plenty of tools to get the job done.😎

2017-05-27_11-37-13.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool of you, Mimi; thank you!  I am going to learn to do this one way or another!  Early on in the post I mentioned all the bicycle tires i've done and "how could it be that hard"?  Learning that lesson now!

Update?  

I know others here have said it, but it cannot be emphasized enough.  Once you have the initial side on You absolutely have push the bead of the tire to the center of the wheel while you install the second side.  If you do not center the bed on the rim, you will not have adequate stretch to pop the 2nd bead over the rim.  Wherever you have your tire iron, make sure the the bead is in the center of the wheel opposite the iron, this will give the tire the extra inch it needs to roll on smoothly.

Once you get that bead centered, it is as easy as putting on a bicycle tire.

• Like 1