San Diego Adventure Riders
Sign in to follow this  
simicrintz

Changing a tire

Reading some of the comments on another thread and the price to change a tire.  I will admit to taking my stuff to Cycle Gear in the past and having them do it (seems that I was paying around $15 per tire) but now I am wondering what is so hard about it?  I see trailside changes with minimal tools so it seems that a guys (or gals) garage would be good to do the work.  Why are we (I) paying to have a tire changed; what am I missing?  Am I just being lazy or is there some cosmic trick to doing this that only happens properly in the bowels of a shop?

I change my  tires at home. I use the tools I would use on the trail. Keeps you in practice for when your by yourself out on the trail. I do wish I had a balancing machine though!

It's not easy the first time you do it, but if you're going to be doing trail riding (especially by yourself) its' a great skill to have.  Just like ADV said, doing it with the trail tools is a good practice, but I have some nicer things to use at home because I've practiced enough!  

I have one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Tire-Changing-Changer-Stand-Bead-Breaker-Tool-Portable-Offroad-MX/201914835279?epid=732261028&hash=item2f030fe14f:g:H1IAAOSwdm1bDa~q:rk:3:pf:0

These are nice as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Height-Tire-Changing-Stand-Station-for-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-MX-Moto/231919410653?epid=1629961764&hash=item35ff795ddd:g:HxYAAOSwYmZXF5QU:rk:41:pf:0

You'll need some tire irons as well, Motion Pro makes some nice ones.  Either of those will pay for themselves after a few changes and having the skill to do it yourself is priceless.

Thanks guys.  I got some Bead Buddies from Pyro but that is it for specific tools.  I've changed 100 bicycle tires and am not all thumbs which makes me wonder what makes a motorcycle tire so difficult.  As for balancing (caution: stupid question ahead!) I was unaware that happened as I have never seen weights on a MC tire; what am I missing here?

I am going to go check out the links (thank you, Tom!) and try to learn some more.  Kinda feeling like I've been a wuss for too many years about this......

Come on by the tech day in a few weeks if you can, I'm sure someone will be changing tires so you can see it in person and maybe even lend a hand.

You can balance your own tires as well.  Harbor Freight has a stand I think, and they also sell wheel weights.  Otherwise you can order one from Ebay or Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Wheel-Balancer-Truing-Balancing-Rim-Street-Bike-Cruiser-Tire-Stand/182194326330?epid=24005352600&hash=item2a6ba0cb3a:rk:1:pf:0

I hardly ever balance dirt bike wheels, but if you do a lot of riding on the street it's worth it.  The rim lock really throws the balance off.

Thank you again, Tom; now I know why I haven't seen any weights on my rims!  I don't own a street specific bike so I guess I won't worry about that much (I have a buddy that has "spoke weights" on his bike across from his rim lock.  Never paid much attention but did notice them).

I have a  tire stand in my garage and I can usually put a new tire on in less than 30 minutes from putting bike on lift to getting it off. 

Good tire irons are a big help. I have 4 of these for in the shop. I don’t carry big ones like this on the trail but I’ve changed enough that I don’t need to practice in my garage.

Core Tools CT113 15" Curved Tire Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIKMWZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aliaCbX14G1QZ

proper technique is also very important. Watch a few videos on YouTube.

Always put new tire out in the sun to get warm. If no sun I’ll use a heat gun sometime to warm the new tire.

CiD

16 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Always put new tire out in the sun to get warm. If no sun I’ll use a heat gun sometime to warm the new tire.

CiD

Another good way to warm it up is to start your truck and put the tire under the hood, let it run for a bit and your tire will be a lot more pliable.

15 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Another good way to warm it up is to start your truck and put the tire under the hood, let it run for a bit and your tire will be a lot more pliable.

Good tip, for the 140 size motoz desert ht for my 950se that tire is a monster i had to put it under a welding blanket and 2 ceramic space heaters last year in winter so much easier. Also yes cid those levers are amazing did 2 front golden fattys yesterday with filled mousses and only the curved ones would get in there

Thanks, CiD; I'll check out the tools next.

I don't have to plead arthritis, Bagstr; it's real!

Will that tip work with my Prius Tom :)