kkug

"KUG.S " Mystery Ride 2018 Edition

The cat was out of the bag. We are going to Pattons Cabin ( Kind of )

The Team 

1118180723.jpg

1118180620.jpg

1118180621.jpg

1118180623.jpg

1118180625_HDR.jpg

1118180630.jpg

1118180643.jpg

1118180625.jpg

And the temperature at sunrise was about 42F, according to NOAA.

:(

6 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

And the temperature at sunrise was about 42F, according to NOAA.

:(

I wish I had brought my tent. 

Great job for the "Moped" riders. Unfortunate I had to stick to the blacktop for 98% of the ride. and even on this 2% I dropped the bike twice in the sand. thanks to the help I got it to a firm spot where we set up camp for the night. 

Great ride guys. Thanks for setting this up! When I got to Ocotillo Wells my bike wouldn't start. Battery was very dead. Wouldn't even kick start. Ken saved the day with his cool little battery booster thing. She fired right up. Don't be like me.....Make sure to turn off the GPS when it is hardwired to the bike. Nice ride and beautiful scenery all the way out. On the way back after a gorgeous sunrise we stopped at Chuckwalla Raceway. Cool guy at the gate let us in for free after signing the waiver. Got to see a bunch of sports cars turning money into noise. Very cool. I think some of the other guys got some pics from there. 

DSCF0296.JPG

DSCF0300.JPG

Hey Kug, pretty cool that you can post a ride invite that states, "show up, follow me anywhere for hundreds of miles, and on any road, and in any conditions!", and you get some buds to do so!

Well done Kug!  Everything went perfect... almost .. So glad the fire starter log didn't start too early while still on a bike, bummer about your jacket in your pic 1!

IMG_4785.thumb.JPG.fa70ecbcda8df14c860ce15783b66816.JPG

A little bit of orange on the mini bikes, but the big bike had a color of its own as it took slightly different routes to keep in touch with the group and reach the final destination:          Way to go JaJa!

IMG_4766.thumb.JPG.d1d3d315e4ad6f875108d2cb6162a386.JPG

Good ride to the Bradshaw trestle after lunch in Mecca:

IMG_4778.thumb.JPG.5c3531f60a3637abf81a0cf47a40f74d.JPG

The cut over to Hiway 10 from the Salton Sea area was sandy and rocky and undulating.... with great ridge views...... and a nice cross breeze so anyone riding sweep could get a clear view of the road ahead.....very nice:

IMG_4780.thumb.JPG.2d855a7b0e738dceb318a4709f33c285.JPG

I was happy to survive the eastward ..... frontage road.....  20-ish mile long.....  with blind curves.....  and blind cross intersections ...... so dusty I couldn't see the ground at times..... "surprise crevasse" / ditch/ flashflood trench filled.....  along the hiway 10..... from Chariaco summit...    blast .... whew!  The other guys didn't seem to notice the challenge and they would likely not use all the descriptors I just did  :) 

The turn north on the paved 177 was a welcome treat at that time, especially at dusk.  Soon after,  we turned to the east on a beautiful sandy road... straight as an arrow, but quite soft, as we climbed the alluvial fan:

IMG_4784.thumb.jpg.8c575adc1b97f33e4a46c24f6907e4e2.jpg

After some good rough riding most of the day, every rider was still fired up to keep going!

IMG_4786.thumb.JPG.28ce7ca8d66213cc8335a4784d6920a0.JPG

IMG_4787.thumb.JPG.1d2ad78a4ae466a642e29c9fc27cdfde.JPG

The sun was about to set.....  and it is always a nice treat to get tents up, dinner ready, and comfy clothes on before dark, so we found a smooth spot to shut it down and build camp.  Once we got settled, the small campfire became the social center for cold beers, good eats, and a warming shot or 2:

IMG_4796.thumb.JPG.e8bfdeb7d68a259c5ff9ea69652e7733.JPG

A great night of sleep, and only a brief 45 minutes of strong wind gusts at about 3:45 am.  Likely a bit chilly at that time for the guy without a tent!  In the morning, it might have been hard to find the 8 campers in the chaparral??  Kinda like finding waldo:  

IMG_4797.thumb.JPG.2ca600c0aa78ad20631db61006d70bad.JPG

A special reward of hot coffee and pastries alongside the tent and the bike in the early pre-sunrise morning:

IMG_4800.thumb.JPG.9b060b90665ea3599627676ecd1ea352.JPG

A good bye to the Valley, now partially owned by SDAR...

IMG_4808.thumb.JPG.7f6ca2fc79240fc00e4c29e0a10e4b55.JPG

We headed back to Ocotillo Wells using a slightly different route so we could check out any recent flash flood areas, and have lunch on the shore of the Salton Sea.

Great burgers, cold ones, and fresh cookies (strategically placed in the window so the breeze brought the scent our way  :) )

IMG_4812.thumb.JPG.a317c2ce1e5bc3e65fbf7587d4033ee5.JPG

A truly fantastic trip! Thanks Kug, CID as copilot, and a bunch of great riders.  I would have to give it a thumbs up!

IMG_4805.thumb.JPG.ae7e6f5ecab34d83ebb7ac4b1b179cc6.JPG

Nice write up and pics.  I ended up with the flu and felt subhuman all week. LB had to inventory the evidence locker for some ladies' panties that went missing.  Who would want those?

1 hour ago, Mikey777 said:

Nice write up and pics.  I ended up with the flu and felt subhuman all week. LB had to inventory the evidence locker for some ladies' panties that went missing.  Who would want those?

Fox guarding the henhouse?

I found them, all is ok.

And I want CID to know that I would have shared my tent with him, especially if I had a "condo" like Udo. 

Sounds great, cool pix !

I wanted to meet you guys up there in my car to camp for the night but found out the road to Patton's cabin was not suitable for cars.

1 hour ago, KTMrad said:

Sounds great, cool pix !

I wanted to meet you guys up there in my car to camp for the night but found out the road to Patton's cabin was not suitable for cars.

Yes indeed . We found a sand pit where someone got stuck. No problem for Pattons Tanks !

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for coming to my rescue with water when my dromedary slipped into my rear tire , but that wasn’t as good as Ken’s firelog almost catching on fire in his bag.

CiD

Thanks for putting on the ride Kug and it was good riding with all you guys. I’m all about fun rides

B4DF1591-FEC4-44C5-93BA-35F745D4863B.jpeg

75224A6F-5CB9-44CD-9FE4-A45DB7EA3952.jpeg

E4229756-301F-40CE-9F21-FFB961371580.jpeg

722A7EEA-AD0A-4246-84AE-FB92BB7ED18F.jpeg

1F49016B-1768-420C-B062-ED07A1081D7D.jpeg

87925254-5774-4045-B141-A4E00534E3D6.jpeg

7020A3CC-C93B-4165-ADBB-9D3C810EFB94.jpeg

10 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I want to thank everyone for coming to my rescue with water when my dromedary slipped into my rear tire , but that wasn’t as good as Ken’s firelog almost catching on fire in his bag.

CiD

Someone wants to do a Tech Day;  Could be useful to include Bike Packing as a subset to the Bike Camping the curriculum.

-_-  Do you guys have any Packing Fail pictures??   <_<

Thanks Kug's for putting on another great Mystery ride.  

The sunrise was amazing

P1040179.JPG

A highlight was riding back through Box Canyon and seeing the carnage from the recent flood.  It was cool and eerie at the same time.

P1040185.JPG

This post below may bore the experienced rider, but might help other newbies like me  :) 

Wierdrider, The group opted for setting up with some natural light left, and simultaneously, there was a very convenient shrub -free flat area just as we were considering whether to push on or not into the dark.  Although a few fellas scouted ahead and may have reached the cabin (or rock foundation of it), most of us considered the place where we camped to be our successful destination (which also leaves the cabin available for more of us to get to at a later date, especially being that you weren't with us  and we would expect you to be next time!  :D )

In regard to tech, having the group almost entirely on the SDAR ham radio frequency was truly fantastic, being able to communicate at all times while going 30 to 50 mph through rough sand and rock was really really nice!  The warning of a fast approaching Razr, a car passing at high speed along a desloate hiway, an exceptionally deep ditch, turning on to a new trail, allowing the lead rider to share with the sweep rider, who was often half mile behind due to many riders backing off from the dust of the rider in front of them,  was great, and certainly contributed to more safety. A 7 man train with each allowing the dust to settle a bit to have better sight of the trail can really spread the group out, especially along Pole lines, and other well traveled soft dirt connectors. And, the shared sporadic jokes and personal perceptions as we rode were great.  Most of us had delorme, or spot, as an emergency satellite system, and most of us had GPS also on the bars (GPSMAP 78, or similar, also an important safety device if one becomes isolated from the group and losses communication so exact backtrack can be accomplished (things often look different when going back the other direction)), additionally, with the ham radios for immediate dialog even when not at speed, even when 10 feet away from each other for a quick gathering for a turn in direction, nobody had to remove helmets, nor shout over engines through helmets, etc. That can save a bunch of time so the group can keep rolling...heck,  too many 5-10 minute discussions with engines stopped and helmets removed can really slow a group down when everybody really just wants to keep riding!  Without even looking in a rear view mirror while trying to see through your own dust, you can push a button and ask "OK?" and get immediate feedback, "all good" and still maintain speed. Cell phones worked often as we rode some hiways near civilization, and pics on cell phones worked even though most were in airplane mode.

In regard to packing, I transferred bags for the trip (from day trip wolfman saddle bags to overnight giant loop coyote ).  I have used my set-up many times for over a thousand miles camping and riding solo before, but this ride had a couple failures for me. It was quite bumpy at times.  I was likely the most overpacked of the group.  I don't know how many of the fellas had a full load of tools, but I packed as if I was going solo.  These spontaneous rides without group meetings prior likely cause most of us to carry more due to not knowing if you have access to others' equipment.  We must have had 5+ jetboils with us, etc...  and they take up some room.  My dry bag with hubba tent, helinox chair, and Q-core pad got too wobbly a couple times. Next time, I will put my sleeping bag in that dry bag and the aforementioned in the Coyote.  If you look at Amgem's set up, Moskos with bag on back, that looked good and tight over bumps and jumps. Of course, I also carried a keg of beer, 2 MSR bottles of gas since I didn't know if I could have reached the 120 mile mark, as was implied in the post, and I carry my tank bag on the back because I dislike a tight cockpit (it has only very lightweight items anyway). It's goofy, but increases my comfort. I also find it super important that my hydration backpack doesn't hit any part of a rear bag and make me feel pushed forward.  In fact, I specifically create a step scenario where my hydration pack ever so lightly can rest on my Giant loop (less weight on my shoulders over long non bumpy routes), and still has room before touching the bag further back to avoid the pushed forward feeling, which can make long rides super uncomfortable (it might look tight in the thumbs up pic, but I design it to be just right  :) ).  Other considerations might be to make sure that explosive materials will never shift to the muffler side on bumpy roads...  --haha!

Looking forward to our next wander!  Cheers. 

Sounds like a great trip, fellas. Sorry I missed it. I got called into work for mandatory overtime. The state of law enforcement in this country is in shambles as most departments country wide are understaffed...many of them significantly.

I'd like to apologize to Kug. I had been bugging him for some time to put a mystery ride together and then when he does, I can't make. That makes me feel like I let him down. Taking time to plan stuff and then have someone bail is a drag. Sorry, Ken.

I had no idea Box Canyon was so heavily damaged. That's obviously going be closed for a while.

Mac, you definitely win the most prepared award. Dang man, I've done 8 day trips with less stuff. Believe me, it's more fun with less stuff.

Dang, not sure why my font is so small in the post above. I tried to edit but no luck...