yojuan

Escondido to Laguna Dual Sport Loop - Sunday Nov 18

I was out bikepacking through the Lagunas & Fish Creek last weekend and ran into a lot of dual sports on Pine Mountain Road (14S02). Thought I want to go check it out this Sunday on the XR650L.

hhFM3AEm.jpg

This will be a newbie-ish paced ride as I'm still feeling out the new to me XR650L, and I'm pretty rusty on the dirt after taking a break for a few years. Plus I'm old and very aware of my mortality. I like to cruise at 55-60 with my gearing on the asphalt. Experts will likely be frustrated!

I plan to ride around 8AM from the Shell gas station at Via Rancho Pkwy in Escondido to Julian via Nate Harrison. Then down to Pine Valley via Pine Mountain Rd (for a burger at Frosty's possibly?). After that Boulder Creek, Cedar Creek Rd to Eagle Peak Rd back to Julian. Back to Esco via Mesa Grande, Black Canyon, Santa Ysabel Creek Trail, Pamo Rd, Bandy Canyon, Highland Valley Rd. Total distance is around 175 miles. If anyone wants to tag along, I'm open to suggestions to change the route. Route may not be ideal for big bikes with more street oriented tires, especially on the Santa Ysabel Creek Trail. Having said that, there are several bail out options along the way to bypass the more technical stuff. I'll PM the route if you're interested. Make sure you're somewhat self sufficient with tubes, tools, water, etc.

Few pics from a few weeks ago on Nate Harrison & Mesa Grande:

99HDx14m.jpg G4kCum6m.jpg

3 hours ago, yojuan said:

Indeed, hi Ken!

LOL we need to ride sometime togeather - With the bicycle of course LOL.  I think I put more miles on bikes this year than moto,s ! 

1 hour ago, kkug said:

LOL we need to ride sometime togeather - With the bicycle of course LOL.  I think I put more miles on bikes this year than moto,s ! 

Definitely, it's bikepacking season in the desert

Do your class of riders camp off those peddlers??   

Ended doing a great almost 200 mile ride connecting dirt with (admittedly a little too much) asphalt. I was joined by two KLRs & a brand new Africa Twin, whose rider sensibly decided to bail after Nate Harrison. Pace was fairly "spirited", which is probably why it feels today like I wrestled a big steer (although it was a Big Red Pig ;)). I REALLY need to change my gearing, as many have commented the stock gearing on the XR650L sucks big time on the trails. I also have to get a less obnoxious pipe on the bike (Supertrapp IDS2), even with earplugs it makes my brain itch.

Best dirt section no doubt was 14S02 to 14S04 (Pine Mountain area) between Sunrise Hwy at Pioneer Mail and Pine Creek Rd. I'm guessing you'll have to go up to Idyllwild or Big Bear to experience more of this kind of wooded trails. Almost as much fun was 12S07 (Santa Ysabel area) between Black Canyon and Pamo Rd.

More exploring to come!

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 10.27.46 AM.png

Sounds great👍, but you should start a ride report in the appropriate section.

1-3 three day rr 

1 minute ago, Wierdrider said:

Sounds great👍, but you should start a ride report in the appropriate section.

1-3 three day rr 

Will do, didn't think I had enough to say to justify a ride report!

2 hours ago, yojuan said:

Ended doing a great almost 200 mile ride connecting dirt with (admittedly a little too much) asphalt. I was joined by two KLRs & a brand new Africa Twin, whose rider sensibly decided to bail after Nate Harrison. Pace was fairly "spirited", which is probably why it feels today like I wrestled a big steer (although it was a Big Red Pig ;)). I REALLY need to change my gearing, as many have commented the stock gearing on the XR650L sucks big time on the trails. I also have to get a less obnoxious pipe on the bike (Supertrapp IDS2), even with earplugs it makes my brain itch.

Best dirt section no doubt was 14S02 to 14S04 (Pine Mountain area) between Sunrise Hwy at Pioneer Mail and Pine Creek Rd. I'm guessing you'll have to go up to Idyllwild or Big Bear to experience more of this kind of wooded trails. Almost as much fun was 12S07 (Santa Ysabel area) between Black Canyon and Pamo Rd.

More exploring to come!

:thumbsup_anim: Sounds like you rode with my bud Jack on his KLR. Small town SD! Sounds like everyone had a good time

7 hours ago, yojuan said:

Will do, didn't think I had enough to say to justify a ride report!

Mabey cut and paste - should do the trick !