San Diego Adventure Riders
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
SpaceCowboy

I’ve never liked ktm...

But I just bought one!  Price was too good to pass up. $1490 from Craigslist. Bike wouldn’t run without the choke out and even then wouldn’t idle. But the bike is clean and has a bunch of goodies including a rekluse, protection, and a big tank!

picked it up Sunday night. Checked valves on wed. Picking up a couple o-rings for the carb today, I’ll let you guys know if I can get it running well! 

Here are the first pics of my brand new-ish 2009 400 xcw

AFC25498-077B-4829-97BC-1AAA2FF643E6.jpeg

D1F118FF-3051-496E-9607-E4A06CFD3962.jpeg

B3FEB746-751E-4DB8-B87D-ADB59CB85AD7.jpeg

Notice the dust on the WRONG side of the filter? I hope it didn’t cause too much damage. I’ll be getting a leak down test done by my local shop to check on the engine. Valves were all perfect, so I’m optimistic. 

Also notice the dual sport kit that’s installed. It’s still green sticker but I might go with an SD plate... we’ll see. 

When I first brought it home I could keep it running if I kept the revs way up, but it would bog and power felt like a 250f. Hoping to cure all that today with the clean carb and a few small replacement carb parts along with some tuning. 

Starting this thread mainly for my own records of what I’ve done to the bike. If this bikes engine turns out to be solid it might replace my 98 wr400. I’ll keep you guys posted. 

Dude, thats a smoking deal. Let me guess, the valves were spot on??!!

wow 1500. if top end is good and bottom is solid you got a good piece of the kato action for sure.

You scored on that deal.  Carb cleaning will almost certainly net you a solid machine.  I didn't know they made a 400 XCW.  

Nicely done.

I've seen older used engines priced higher! Good luck on your fine new pumpkin!