Bagstr

Fall Equipment Review 2018

Klim Dakar Glove Old vs New

Shinko 216MX vs Golden 216AA  Fatteys  90/100 DOT

IMG_0727-L.jpg

Have Both - My Opinion, The New synthetic are inferior to the previous kangaroo skin in comport, who knows re- durability. The K gloves are EXCELLENT. 

KLIM has been sold to Corporate America. Did they find a way to cut costs???  You be the judge.

IMG_0728-L.jpg

Shinko 216MX - Draw, as I can not find any difference in the EXCELLENT composure on the trail.  Near absolute confidence in the front wheel feel. floats over skinny ruts and lose rocks. Cannot remember when I dropped the bike as a result of the front washing out. 

I can remember dropping the bike while Fiddling with my pack atop a ridge.

Well, We are in the 3rd year of the "New" KTM platform EXC in 2019.  I know a couple of guys who Claim to be setting these Modern Miracles up. Whats the juice? Worth the bucks; have you installed the Vortex ECU?Vortex.jpg

44 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Well, We are in the 3rd year of the "New" KTM platform EXC in 2019.  I know a couple of guys who Claim to be setting these Modern Miracles up. Whats the juice? Worth the bucks; have you installed the Vortex ECU?

Hmmm

I thought these bikes were out of the box "Race Ready" 

I will admit to being underwhelmed with my 2019.  Tires need to go, power is unimpressive.  Tires and skid plate will be first, seat is optional, and ECU is definitely on the list.  Do I like the bike?  Yes.  Do I love it?  No.  But I do believe it can be fixed...... 

4 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

Hmmm

I thought these bikes were out of the box "Race Ready" 

i would say that moniker is for the non DS models. race bikes are not euro 3, 4 compliant even FIM enduro racers that are all EU plated most likely would not pass the cert. with their GET and Vortex ECUs plugged in and fully uncorked.

you get a plate with a proper vin as your base with all the foundation to build it and for under 15k you get a bike that can win a wold championship event....thats cheap for a machine with those capabilites.

7 hours ago, robertaccio said:

i would say that moniker is for the non DS models. race bikes are not euro 3, 4 compliant even FIM enduro racers that are all EU plated most likely would not pass the cert. with their GET and Vortex ECUs plugged in and fully uncorked.

you get a plate with a proper vin as your base with all the foundation to build it and for under 15k you get a bike that can win a wold championship event....thats cheap for a machine with those capabilites.

+1

7 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I will admit to being underwhelmed with my 2019.  Tires need to go, power is unimpressive.  Tires and skid plate will be first, seat is optional, and ECU is definitely on the list.  Do I like the bike?  Yes.  Do I love it?  No.  But I do believe it can be fixed...... 

Underwhelmed - Yes but just twist the throttle and hold on. I am easy on the throttle and the bike is a pooch. But did you ever realy give it the gas and ride it hard . Try it . In my opinion it is a rocket .

Along with lots of other stuff, I added the JD Tuner to the new 500. I had one on my 350 and it worked great, and.... it was about $500 less than the Vortex. I also like that it is adjustable on the trail. I have it set to the recommended settings for "open exhaust" but i think it may still need a little more fine tuning as the motor wears in. 

2 hours ago, kkug said:

Underwhelmed - Yes but just twist the throttle and hold on. I am easy on the throttle and the bike is a pooch. But did you ever realy give it the gas and ride it hard . Try it . In my opinion it is a rocket .

I've hit it pretty hard but I am sure not full throttle yet (I have done my first oil change and only have about 100 miles on it so far, with about half of that being in the dirt).  The gears seem to get used up real fast and it just feels "sluggish", for lack of a better word.  I will admit that the dirt time is not confidence instilling with the stock tires and that it did not get a fair shake on account of that.  

I am no pro by any stretch and I know that the bike far exceeds my abilities.  But it does feel "off" from what I was expecting (I honestly feel like my BRP has more spunk!).  Not complaining and will play with this as time goes on.  I do love the lighter feel from what I am used to and somewhat doubt that the 650 will see much more dirt time going forward :(

Re: The New 500s

Curious what rear sag George is recommending and for that matter how many rings out on the forks??  In my experience with the '16 design, these things do respond to suspension adjustments On my '16 450 I am at 112mm rear sag and have two rings out at the front. But that is a completely different machine. A Fatty up front and a round knobby in the back with make life a joy. 

No Greater Joy Hath Man than A New Bike Set-up.  ;)

Bags

PS,   What Robert Says -  You get a plate and an excellent base point to build from.  These Days that is the game we have to play.

My brand new 500 had a cracked in tank fuel filter from the factory. Ran like crap. A dealer replaced it under warranty and was much better. Same dealer said they can still tweak the ecu on the 500 (not the 350) eliminating the need for vortex or jd. That's ok but then there is no adjustability

And there are these,,,

DISCOVER%201-L.jpg

You Hard Way Guys should look into these.

Doscover%20Enduro%201-L.jpg

Discover%202-L.jpg

Discover%203-L.jpg

Polisport

Discover%20vs%20KTM%201-L.jpg

Looking at the 505 Cheater in the rear and the 546 up front; will most likely order next week and that should fix the tire issue.  Possible run out to Ocotillo next weekend (Mama has to work Saturday so may be a day trip on Sunday to meet up with some folks) and hope to have the new shoes on by then.  

I'm not complaining (well-maybe a little bit!) and am overall happy with the bike.  I agree that for a plated and compliant bike I feel like I am breaking the law when on the road :)

Here's a list of what I have done to my '17 500 EXC-F...as far as my wife knows, all of the following items were needed for "safety" purposes so I could return to her in one piece...;)

Item Description
1 Kick Starter add-on kit
2 Kickstand
3 Skid Plate
4 4.5 Gal Gas Tank
5 Wrap Hand Guards
6 GPS Hard Wire Connection
7 Battery Pig-Tail
8 Front Rotor Guard
9 Rear Rotor Guard
10 Radiator Braces/Guards
11 Xtra - HVY Duty Tubes
12 Tail-light/plate/signal assy
13 Swing Arm Guards
14 Spoke Sleeves
15 Header-Pipe Heat Shield
16 Lower Fork Leg Guards
17 Giant Loop Saddle Bags - Black
18 Motion Pro Tire Tools
19 Seat Concepts Seat
20 Baja Designs XL Headlight
21 ~6' Cable Lock
22 Front Lift Strap
23 Seal Savers
24 Rear Lift Strap
25 1/2" Handle Bar Risers
26 Oil / Filter Change(s)
27 Right Case Protector
28 Left Case Protector
29 Silencer Heat Shield
30 Smaller Arrow Turn Signals
31 Golden Tyres
32 Rekluse Clutch

I will admit that I have started the process with the comments that the bike is unsafe unless I do the same :)    I like how you think, Chris!

Your list is way bigger than mine-you must have a much better job than me!!

1 hour ago, Dress4Less said:

Here's a list of what I have done to my '17 500 EXC-F...as far as my wife knows, all of the following items were needed for "safety" purposes so I could return to her in one piece...;)

Item Description
1 Kick Starter add-on kit
2 Kickstand
3 Skid Plate
4 4.5 Gal Gas Tank
5 Wrap Hand Guards
6 GPS Hard Wire Connection
7 Battery Pig-Tail
8 Front Rotor Guard
9 Rear Rotor Guard
10 Radiator Braces/Guards
11 Xtra - HVY Duty Tubes
12 Tail-light/plate/signal assy
13 Swing Arm Guards
14 Spoke Sleeves
15 Header-Pipe Heat Shield
16 Lower Fork Leg Guards
17 Giant Loop Saddle Bags - Black
18 Motion Pro Tire Tools
19 Seat Concepts Seat
20 Baja Designs XL Headlight
21 ~6' Cable Lock
22 Front Lift Strap
23 Seal Savers
24 Rear Lift Strap
25 1/2" Handle Bar Risers
26 Oil / Filter Change(s)
27 Right Case Protector
28 Left Case Protector
29 Silencer Heat Shield
30 Smaller Arrow Turn Signals
31 Golden Tyres
32 Rekluse Clutch

Sounds about the same as my 18 500 but your missing JD Tuner. Scott’s sub bar steering stabilizer. FMF Q4. Best dual sports big bottom end kit(works very well for more low end torque). Tubliss  at 

Full revalve and Suspension 101 setup. Best mod ever. Turned mine into a full on desert race bike. 

My 500 setup the way it is now has the ability to be a top 3 bike at most any desert race with a younger more capable rider. 

My 450 Setup has the capability of carrying me through The Pits at a Top 3 Desert Event.

Money Well Spent. Bags

If i were only able to do one mod, it would be to change the "fueling". I think that is the worst part of these bikes as they come from the factory. One of these: Vortex, JD Tuner, or ECU program mod. 

IMHO: Try something easy...14 CS sprocket 50 rear sprocket, twist the throttle past 1/2, don't short shift, use the slab only for very short distances. Wonderful! 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, Ken S said:

Sounds about the same as my 18 500 but your missing JD Tuner. Scott’s sub bar steering stabilizer. FMF Q4. Best dual sports big bottom end kit(works very well for more low end torque). Tubliss  at 

Full revalve and Suspension 101 setup. Best mod ever. Turned mine into a full on desert race bike. 

My 500 setup the way it is now has the ability to be a top 3 bike at most any desert race with a younger more capable rider. 

Ken S - I'm good without the tuner, stabilizer and aftermarket exhaust...she runs plenty good for my aging, slowing, fattening a$$...my old man used to tell me: "90% rider, 10% bike..." My racing days are light years behind me now. The five-hundo is WAY better than I am. :D

George (S101) did the suspension on my WR and I loved it. This go-round, I had the five-hundo suspension redone (front & rear) for the added body blubber, gear/tools/tubes and larger gas tank factor by Brad in Poway...he did a great job.

See ya'll around...

pol_17_clu_cov_pro-blu-1631020047.jpg

Has anyone seen the other side ( ignition ) available?  Polisport KTM Case Cover for '16 450/500 EXC??

18 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Has anyone seen the other side ( ignition ) available?  Polisport KTM Case Cover for '16 450/500 EXC??

Used to think the covers were over rated.....maybe not so much anymore.

IMG_6133.jpg