December 14-16. (fri-sat-sun) 

NOT noob or BIG bike friendly - more of a quick intermediate technical boogie through and around the Baja peninsular 

Shelter, tacos and beer all part of the ingredients.

Chime in if interested  150 mile range  new to Baja ok - new to riding maybe not so much..

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

GPS tracks will be provided for this boogie - don't assume you can just follow the pack, it's a safe redundancy to have a working and updated GPS wired to your bike.... 

Parking a vehicle at the border is easy, simple, safe and cheap..

The Mexican currency is the Peso currently @ 20:1 

I use the local currency for everything except accommodations (CID amex card should be fine) aka USD

We will stop in Tecate to withdraw pesos - ATM card USA Passport card & is usually the only thing in my pocket....

CROSSING THE TECATE BORDER @ 0730

Have a current registration for your bike readily available 

There will be minimal riding on pavement, I'm sorry...If you feel the need to be insured, there's a few companies we support - inquire within 

It would be smart to call and "verbaly" reserve your shelter - If you need help - please PM me   

12/14/18 - COYOTE CALS - 011 52 646 154 4080 (Rick) 

12/15/18 - MIKES SKY RANCHO - 011 52 664 681 5514 (Mike) 

12/16/18 - Estimated time to cross back into USA 4:00PM

CURRENT HEAD COUNT

RIGGER

COVERED IN BAJA

PMB.AJA

SOCALMULE

JCOLOMBOTOS

RUSTYSHACKELFORD

BAGSTR

97X400R

COWBOY MIKE

LURKERS

ORACLE

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

Extremely interested - BUT - I work weekends that month..

Rigger, do you ever have Baja weekday availability?

Hola

For December thinking about this passage - open to variations & suggestions 

Depart Teacate 0700 gas/lunch at Ojos - more dirt spend the night at Cals with good food and margaritas 

Cals south along coast to Vincente Guerrero gas/lunch -  back into the hills spend the night at MSR with a visit to the observatory (if not to cold) 

Home through VT / Laguna Hansen - Tecate 

FRIDAY

12/14/2018

D1 - 160 +/- Miles

SATURDAY

12/15/2018

D2 - 140 +/- Miles (190 W/observatory) 

SUNDAY

12/16/2018

D3 - 175 +/- Miles

These are some of the shortest (daylight) days of the year..

This is a fast moving caravan with the ability to maintain an intermediate pace, and have a good time doing it.

Always have time to deal with deviations / mechanicals etc. 

Well maintained bikes / riders with good lights, communication and 150 mile + range is encouraged 

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 7.27.20 AM.png

Purchasing a gold pen to place the checkmark on my bucket list! Thank you Rigger for setting this up! I'm excited!

DAY #2 - NOTES

Leave Cals, scenic coastal riding south - fuel up machines in Vincente Guerro = 65miles

Leave Vincente Guerro into the hills to MSR - 75miles  --- It's 20 miles 1 way up to Observatory and COLD but very BEAUTIFUL

I've coasted down from the Observatory saving lots of mileage but thats dipping into a fuel safety factor 

With gas in VT 30 miles from MSR 

- THAT'S 145 MILE RANGE (for 1 tank) 

Does that scare anyone?

We could skip the Observatory or live the experience in real time....?

Few pics to help paint the adventure...

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG

IMG_6862.JPG

IMG_6863.JPG

IMG_6860.JPG

IMG_6861.JPG

IMG_9D8B57949D9B-1.jpeg

IMG_58A7659D5191-1.jpeg

IMG_00682F95A16C-1.jpeg

IMG_C5938BD3BAA3-1.jpeg

IMG_F5874F417789-1.jpeg

10 hours ago, rustyshackelford said:

I'm interested in this.

I haven't been on the forum for long, but I've got a couple riding years under my belt. 

What do you usually pack on a baja route?

I always pack extra inner tubes for those riders using mousse and may have a failure due to high-speed extended pavement riding.

(that's an inside joke)

I always have my standard kit while riding- tubes, tools, snacks, sat trackers, etc.

Then, because we're not camping, I bring plenty of soft clothes to layer and a windbreaker/shell, some sandals to wear while walking around a bit. I'll check the weather and if heavy rain or other such storm is predicted, I'll pack my bike into the garage instead of riding that weekend.

20 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

With gas in VT 30 miles from MSR 

- THAT'S 145 MILE RANGE (for 1 tank) 

Does that scare anyone?

No guts, No Glory! 

19 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I always pack extra inner tubes for those riders using mousse and may have a failure due to high-speed extended pavement riding.

(that's an inside joke)

I resemble that remark...57!

Thanks Rigger for the beautiful pictures. Denise is able to share from home just what a fine trip this is going to be! 

5 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

(that's an inside joke)

I always have my standard kit while riding- tubes, tools, snacks, sat trackers, etc.

Then, because we're not camping, I bring plenty of soft clothes to layer and a windbreaker/shell, some sandals to wear while walking around a bit. I'll check the weather and if heavy rain or other such storm is predicted, I'll pack my bike into the garage instead of riding that weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fortunately, I always carry an extra tube so no worries here (knock on wood).

If I'm to be had, I'm in. This sounds like a great opportunity.

38 minutes ago, rustyshackelford said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It's great that you ask!

One thing about these Baja rides- they're not for the ill-prepared or the brand n00bish.

Experienced riders that are personally prepared and have their equipment well-maintained and tested are not only going to enjoy the ride, but are sure to contribute to the overall enjoyment of the group.

We've all had riding and bike issues- falls, injuries and breakdowns- it's expected with the sport. But I've been on rides where the rider's unloading and says "it was running when I parked it 6 months ago, I hope it starts" or is asking "what's the fuel range- can I make it on my vintage 1.8 gallon tank? Do you have a coolant bottle I can borrow?" "And some bungie cords?"

It was cool that Dan made it pretty clear at the beginning how the ride was targeted:

"NOT noob or BIG bike friendly - more of a quick intermediate technical boogie through and around the Baja peninsular "

I'll add: Radios are not necessary, but VERY helpful for the entire group, not just the individual rider. And as it appears I'm probably  going, (usual caveats apply) you might get a snippet or two of melodious vocals.B)

Always remember...a well prepared dirt rider remembers to bring his radio's charger :huh: 

On 11/2/2018 at 6:31 PM, Covered in Dust said:

In, in, in....... 

I’ve never been to the observatory, would like to see it.

CiBD

The Observatory has a gate and limited hours. Check to see if it will be acessable by the time you get their. I drove up one time and it was closed. It is like a national park area with researchers living their . Probley not cool to ride around the gate . 

That said I realy would like to join you guys but I got a full plate in December. 

10 hours ago, kkug said:

The Observatory has a gate and limited hours. Check to see if it will be acessable by the time you get their.

All very valid..

the last time we approached from the north / MSR and timed it perfectly, except they were all leaving for the Christmas holiday...

we paid to enter but the gate up top was locked, one of the engineers came down to talk with us - VERY NICE

he said to go around the gate take a few pictures and all would be ok,  that was an isolated situation for sure.

hopefully we can schedule a successful entry 

its a beautiful ride up there and every 1000' gets a little cooler - but the top is where the views are.

looks like the current hours 10:00am - 3:00pm (closed 1-2 for lunch I assume)

Replaced WP seal today, Day Tripper bags will be here tomorrow, new Desert IT rear tire installed, have a spare liter of gas to stuff in the bags (in an aluminum canister), Kugs mystery ride on the 17th and 18th of this month will be the shake down ride, oil change after Kugs ride...I'm so ready for Mexico Rigger!

Is it December yet?

Closing in on a ride through Baja 12/14-16/2018

Making reservations at Cals & Mikes 

Put your name up there if you want a place to sleep, any stragglers can room with Bowers - he's good that way...

:)