Huntndogs

Radios or Bluetooth?

Bagstr I didnt know you guys were beating up on me. I don't think the night watchmen are using the ham frequencies. They are on frequencies reserved for business. 

Paul personally I think you have a great singing voice. But my understanding of FCC rules is you need to only identify yourself at the start, end and every 10 minutes.  So for me it would be start the bike and then KG6EWP.  Nothing for a while then, "washout in the road." Nothing for a while turn off bike, "KG6EWP".  In other words I think you could act as if the whole ride is one conversation . You would not have to identify with each sentence. But remember HAM is self regulated. Who is going to can about low power usage out in the middle of no where on a channel no one else is using? Most radio NAZIs will not even know we are there. 

The CB radio in my Harley has VOX cabilities. New ones are wireless setups. I set the VOX sensitivity high enough that it requires me to talk forcefully before it activates. I can't remember the lyrics to songs so I don't sing very often. I also learned to deal with he delay of VOX. It was just a trading issue I had to learn. I am always saying uh anyway. It is just now I put that to use.  

I would like to make wireless setup with my adventure bikes using HAM. That way when I fall, which happens frequently you will remember, I can make a transmission even if I am off the bike an unplugged. I think t can be done. But I'm not very bright and would rather. Copy what someone else has done and not try to create it myself. I forgot o send in my change of address when I moved so I didn't get my renewal notice. My attention was brought to this subject of wireless and dongles when I was researching getting a license again. KG6EWP (expired) clear. 

15 minutes ago, RogerTOWM said:

But my understanding of FCC rules is you need to only identify yourself at the start, end and every 10 minutes.  So for me it would be start the bike and then KG6EWP.  Nothing for a while then, "washout in the road." Nothing for a while turn off bike, "KG6EWP".  In other words I think you could act as if the whole ride is one conversation . You would not have to identify with each sentence. But remember HAM is self regulated. Who is going to can about low power usage out in the middle of no where on a channel no one else is using? Most radio [users] will not even know we are there. 

Yes! 

And.

It's also against regulation to have a conversation with an unlicensed station- which include most of my riding buddies. So while I might be in compliance when singing to you, I wouldn't be when singing to the rest of my much-valued audience.

For me, though, the last sentence is my mantra- nobody is going to hear us, and we're moving so fast that anyone who does won't be affected by it for more than abut 60 seconds. Unless it's CiD, in which case it'd be 45 seconds.

So I don't bother.

I 100% agree with the added safety factor of VOX/bluetooth. A couple years ago, I stupidly led a small group down the deep talc road that parallels the railroad track between Split Mountain and Plaster City. We were on Big Bikes, and the only way through that deep, deep powdery sand was by excessive use of throttle. I was fine for most of it, until I hit some hard edged ruts that were underneath the powder- I fell fast and hard. Hard enough to do that very short black-out when I hit the ground. Once I gathered my wits, (at least whatever I have available) it occurred to me there were two more riders hauling ass in my direction with about 20% visibility in the dust. And my PTT was trashed from the fall- no radio. Lucky, I was riding with decent riders who were able to haul it down in time to not run me or my beached whale of a bike over.

Speaking of licensing, is there a class one needs or is it just a test and a fee? 

1 minute ago, Huntndogs said:

Speaking of licensing, is there a class one needs or is it just a test and a fee? 

Test and fee. Classes might make it easier, but there are free online resources that will help you pass. The tests are done by local HAM clubs around town.

1 hour ago, Huntndogs said:

I may be wrong (usually am) but once in a while the club puts on a HAM class I believe?  Seems to be a bit of interest, might be time to look into it....

Race teams...trucks/bikes/buggies, always follow the FCC rules to the letter, and they are all fully licensed HAM operators. And... I'm pretty sure that there are Satellite Directed Ham Patrols (SDHP) out behind every other Ocotillo just on the look-out for the occasional renegade SDAR member not following strict race radio use protocols; for sure they (SDHP) are all within the 2 mile range that our radios XMT within. :unsure:  Anyone for a carbon tax? 

Okay... I'm done. :rolleyes:

Learn how to use your Rugged or Baofeng Radio:

Monthly "Communicator Gateway" Workshop - Saturday, 12/8/18 - at Sharp Spectrum in Kearny Mesa

THE 12/8/18 WORKSHOP IS AT SHARP SPECTRUM (KEARNY MESA), NOT AT SCRIPPS LA JOLLA. 
To unsubscribe from monthly Communicator Gateway announcements, please reply to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com.  
--------------------
Monthly "Communicator Gateway" Workshop 
Date: Saturday, December 8, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.  
Entrance location: https://w3w.co/seats.units.spends   
Parking: Park in free visitor parking, then look for people wearing yellow shirts. 
------------------------
ATTENTION people of all ages interested in Ham Radio (licensed, not
licensed, or out of practice)!

San Diego Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) will conduct another
FREE monthly workshop to help participants "Get On The Air" (GOTA).
Everyone is welcome regardless of club or organization affiliation!

This two-hour workshop is intended for anyone getting started (or
struggling) with a handheld "HT" radio. If you attended in the past,
you are welcome to return for another workshop to hone your skills. If
you have an earlier edition of the free workbook, please bring it with
you to this workshop.

The workshop starts with basics, such as how to turn on the radio, and
then progresses to operating in simplex and repeater mode. This is a
hands-on workshop in small groups led by Elmers (instructors), not a
lecture. Participants receive a free workbook to guide their progress.

What to bring:

1. A handheld radio, if you have one or can borrow one. Elmers will
have a few loaners available. We recommend a dual band 2m/70cm
(VHF/UHF) handheld transceiver (HT).

2. The operating manual for your radio. Please bring the entire manual
- either paper copy or on a tablet.

3. A pen, and a few paper clips or stickies to tab pages in your
operating manual during the workshop.

4. If your HT is the Baofeng UV-5R (or other model Baofeng), please
visit the web site www.miklor.com, print, and then bring to class
copies of the document, "On the Fly Keyboard Programming."

This workshop follows the regularly-scheduled ARES meeting.

If you plan to attend the workshop, please RSVP to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com
so we know how many study guides to produce, or if you have a specific
interest or question. When you RSVP, please tell us which radio you
will bring, and please include your call sign (if you have a call
sign).

The most common radios (HTs) brought to this workshop are: Yaesu FT-60
and Baofeng UV-5R. Occasionally students bring the Yaesu FT-65, Yaesu
FT-1, Yaesu FT-2, Wouxun, Kenwood, Icom, and Baofeng models other than
the UV-5R. We teach each model radio in a different group and use your
RSVP to arrange the workshop seating. 

Thank you.

. . . Rob
K6RJF
Assistant Section Manager (Training)

P.S. If you changed your call sign or email address, please send
updated contact info to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from monthly Communicator Gateway announcements, please
reply to k6rjf.rob@gmail.com.