Jump to content
San Diego Adventure Riders
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Huntndogs

Radios or Bluetooth?

Recommended Posts

My usual riding buddies and I are looking at getting some kind of coms. I read through all the threads here and it sounds like the Rugged Radios have much better range than BT and may be more versatile for other uses as well. There is nothing very recent in this section so my question is are these radios still a good choice for coms? Also, the freq used by the club is apparently not preprogrammed, will I need software and additional expense to add this? Sorry if a stupid question, just trying to learn all I can before making a purchase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used sena units with my dad but pretty limited. Rugged kit with sdar group. Can manually enter group frequency no need for programming. Just watch out for the old farts talking politics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Used sena units with my dad but pretty limited. Rugged kit with sdar group. Can manually enter group frequency no need for programming. Just watch out for the old farts talking politics 

I might qualify as an old fart anyhow....I read someone likes to sing too, how nice to be serenaded on the trail or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on which radio- the Rugged Radio kit with the RCA-type push-to-talk are not able to operate on 146.505 without some programming, but RR will do it for you free. If you opt for the RR kit with the Nexus-type PTT AND buy a Baofeng from Amazon, you don't need programming.

And we avoid politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this frequency of 146.505 a ham type to were technically you need the Ham license ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, royboyz said:

Is this frequency of 146.505 a ham type to were technically you need the Ham license ?

Yes.

But really any transmission on these radios are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using this Old Standby 270 for years. But a lithium battery in and it's pretty light. Tough waterproof case. $140

     https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010076

On Sale is a smaller version with a Lithium batt  $100    Need to check that it is manually frequency selectable,  Doesn't appear to be waterproof.      Looking at the HRO site, does not appear to have the Mic/Sp  jack necessary for the Push to Talk button and helmet cable.

   https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010076

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huntndogs said:

Pulled trigger on RR setup..Thanks for the help.

Let me know if you need help with setup/testing/execution- always welcome new riders with radios. HUGE safety bump as well as time saver when getting separated in the wild.

 

And I can increase my audience. LaLaLaLaaaaa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, RR called me after I placed order and would not add the 146.505 freq without supplying them with a Ham license. No worries, I placed order anyhow....Maybe someone here has Chirp and cable or Ill wait till I have license. May take you up on that set up help. I have many years experience using handheld radios that ping repeaters for work, but never set one up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huntndogs said:

Well, RR called me after I placed order and would not add the 146.505 freq without supplying them with a Ham license. No worries, I placed order anyhow....Maybe someone here has Chirp and cable or Ill wait till I have license. May take you up on that set up help. I have many years experience using handheld radios that ping repeaters for work, but never set one up.

 

Huh.

THAT'S interesting. I wonder what series of events precipitated that policy. They must be taking some heat from somewhere.

I'd LIKE to help, but you'll need to find someone with a PC to run the CHIRP. I have the programming cable, and you're welcome to borrow it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He said there is a crackdown on unlicensed use....I’ll find a class, be interesting anyhow. I’ll hit you up for the cable when needed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there are active members here that are capable of doing that basic programming for you. Our very own Joshua Downs used to do it (did it for me) for members but he's moved to Texas.

I know I'm coming into this after you've already made your decision but I'll give my two cents anyway. Radio comms are way better than the bluetooth options, especially for off road use. So you did the right thing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I'm sure there are active members here that are capable of doing that basic programming for you. Our very own Joshua Downs used to do it (did it for me) for members but he's moved to Texas.

I know I'm coming into this after you've already made your decision but I'll give my two cents anyway. Radio comms are way better than the bluetooth options, especially for off road use. So you did the right thing. 

 

Good thing on the decision...If someone can help with using chirp, I’ll buy the beer, dinner or...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oracle said:

 So you did the right thing. 

 

If only for the 🎤 singing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

If only for the 🎤 singing. 

I guess I need to start designing a digital filter that blocks kereoke! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

I guess I need to start designing a digital filter that blocks kereoke! :)

We already have one...you just twist the little knob to "off"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I would encourage everyone to be licensed. But you do not need a license to monitor  (listen to) ham radio. There are substantial fines for transmitting without a license.

That being said it is legal to transmitt without a license in an emergency. So you can summon help for Paul if he needs it.

 But getting licensed is not that hard. Even an idiot like me was able to get licensed. You can find classes and testing in the communications section of this site. You can find online courses and also practice tests online. Keep taking the online tests until you pass them all. The have the same questions you will be asked on the real test. Go ahead an get the radio while you are working toward the license. You can always monitor the radio and besides you don't want to miss a certain someone's singing. 

Has anyone tried using a Bluetooth dongle on their ham? They appear to be about twenty bucks online. You can also get Bluetooth push to talk (PTT) buttons. Pair that up with a cheap Bluetooth headset and you should be able to go wireless. I have not tried it yet but was wondering if anyone has. I am interested if you could bypass the PTT with VOX? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, good that this was bumped up.  When Bob left, he abandoned a pile of trash at my house (DRZ400) along with some boxes full of good stuff.  In there was a radio and some parts for it.  The radio is the Yaesu FT-270 with no charger, he said he will send it to me when he finds it.  It appears that I'm missing a part to get the radio attached to the helmet speakers and mic.  Anyway, I'm interested in how all this works.  I have avoided much extra technology on my bikes but I think the radio is probably more in a safety category.  Except for hearing people sing, it could be pretty useful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RogerTOWM said:

First I would encourage everyone to be licensed. But you do not need a license to monitor  (listen to) ham radio. There are substantial fines for transmitting without a license.

That being said it is legal to transmitt without a license in an emergency. So you can summon help for Paul if he needs it.

 But getting licensed is not that hard. Even an idiot like me was able to get licensed. You can find classes and testing in the communications section of this site. You can find online courses and also practice tests online. Keep taking the online tests until you pass them all. The have the same questions you will be asked on the real test. Go ahead an get the radio while you are working toward the license. You can always monitor the radio and besides you don't want to miss a certain someone's singing. 

Has anyone tried using a Bluetooth dongle on their ham? They appear to be about twenty bucks online. You can also get Bluetooth push to talk (PTT) buttons. Pair that up with a cheap Bluetooth headset and you should be able to go wireless. I have not tried it yet but was wondering if anyone has. I am interested if you could bypass the PTT with VOX? 

Well, yes.

But.

The problem with getting licensed and legal (I am!) is protocol.

Regulations state one must ID at the beginning and end of each QSO, and every 10 minutes. So each time I tell my buddies there's a washout, I'd be:

This is WB6QWD

"There is a washout in the road! Danger!"

This is WB6QWD.

And I ain't gonna do that. So as a licensed ham NOT following protocol, I'm in a bit more trouble than being unlicensed and transmitting at low power in simplex.

Now. Working repeaters is another thing- I wouldn't do that for any number of reasons.

I've ridden with someone using a Bluetooth(ed) Sena and the corresponding radio adapter- worked pretty good, but he had a slight delay after pressing the PTT, and I could not persuade him to wait a beat before speaking, so I'd hear "ut in the road! Danger!"

VOX is entirely possible, but if one is anything like me, I say any number of things I don't want my buddies to hear, and I sing most of the time. Also- there's the same clip/delay on VOX, so one needs to open the VOX with something like "ahhhh there's a washout in the road".



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the rugged radio moto kit but used the baofeng uv-5r radio from amazon with an upgraded antenna. I love the kit and it works really well. Right now Rugged is selling the kit with a radio for $180, that is a great deal.

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1083_1101&products_id=1911

I do have my HAM license and have for a few years but it was not difficult to get and nice to be "legal" anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KJ6FRA  Checking in.

PMB -  Thanks for reminding be to remind you to use your Call ID.   Also,  watching out for those QSO's on the trail

While we are on the subject;  Are all those night watchmen and facility managers using HAM radios?  If so; Why are they not using their IDs as well?  I am not going to start using mine until they do!

KJ6FRA  Out.

P.S.   Is this conversation about 5 watt vs 50 watt broadcasting?   Roger,  we really are Not trying to beat you up here. Thanks for the actual facts on the subject.

Oh Man,  don't start in about Facts!    Bags  Out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×