paulmbowers

Scooting Across America for Parent Weekend

My wife and I dropped off our only child at college in Connecticut  in late August. These colleges have an organized "Parent Weekend" about 6 weeks into the first semester and I thought it'd be a great idea to ride there. My wife would arrive by more conventional means. I'd put the bike in storage there (along with an entire riding kit- boots, helmet, riding suit, etc and use the bike when visiting in the future- New England rides!

This was a solo road ride- sure, there was some dirt roads, but I like riding both dirt and street, so what the heck?

A quick internet search discovered an interesting route- www.gpskevinadventurerides.com had created a route from New York to San Francisco specifically for scooters- backroads, farm roads, etc. Seemed perfect for my intentions- and it certainly was.

Since I'm lazy and good-for-nothing, I'm going to let the photos tell the story. These are in fairly random order, and I'll happily answer any specific questions.I spent about 16 days on the road- had one off-bike day in Cleveland to see the Rock And Roll Hall and the particularly spectacular Cleveland Museum of Art. 

5B6F9036-9569-4389-8B8E-E2C6A9AD77F9.jpeg

BF47AFAC-3DC7-4C7C-B46B-351816CA45A4 2.jpeg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0576.png

LRG_DSC07615.jpg

LRG_DSC07648.jpg

LRG_DSC07691.jpg

LRG_DSC07734.jpg

LRG_DSC07767.jpg

LRG_DSC07774.jpg

LRG_DSC07811.jpg

LRG_DSC07812.jpg

LRG_DSC07904.jpg

Very nice Paul, keep the photos and a little more verbiage coming. What are you shooting with on the road? 

3 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

BF47AFAC-3DC7-4C7C-B46B-351816CA45A4 2.jpeg

How was the traffic...?

Ah!

A great example of why this route is so awesome. This is a little road through nowhere in IdahomingTana or somewhere. It parallels the main highway that's about a mile or so off to the right. It's a little 1.5 lane rough asphalt ribbon that goes for miles, just like this.

Very unusual feeling. Long, long lonesome road, no cars, trucks, nothing for a very long time.

LRG_DSC07812.jpg

This was a VERY windy day, and I'm mentally preparing to cross a long bridge over the Missouri River with a 40+MPH left-to-right crosswind that requires leaning the bike hard left and being entirely comfortable with feeling the bike moving 3-4 feet horizontally with each gust. Right here, I'm a bit sheltered, but out on the bridge?

Nope.

Congratulations, thanks for sharing. 

Cool idea leaving the bike out there. Guess you'll have to ride it home someday!

Just now, 97xr400r said:

Congratulations, thanks for sharing. 

Cool idea leaving the bike out there. Guess you'll have to ride it home someday!

Nope, I don't think so.

I'm glad to have done it, and I really don't need to do it again. I have a good home life, and my wife and I agree- I'll ship it home.

Cheaper, too!

LRG_DSC07767.jpg

LRG_DSC07774.jpg

This is the Log Cabin Cafe in Silver Gate, Montana. I stayed at a little motel about 3 miles up the road in Cooke City, which was hardly a town, much less a city. I met this local bison there, just wandering about town like a burro in Oatman.

I thought I'd get an early start that day- it was Beartooth Pass day, so I wanted to get going early.

It was 27 degrees.

IMG_0507.jpg

I enjoyed their local rainbow trout and eggs for an hour or so until it warmed up all the way to 32.

Hmmm, how about an auction? Somebody pays you for the pleasure of riding a free bike back to you.

Could be a little chilly this time of year though.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Hmmm, how about an auction? Somebody pays you for the pleasure of riding a free bike back to you.

Could be a little chilly this time of year though.

I bid a hun'erd dollars on that right now!

I'm insured for crashing.  You insure it for a long tow home.  It is a KTM after all.

---- very cool trip Paul.

There's a real possibility that I'd engage some trusted soul to ride it back once it's semester abroad is finished. So if you're truly interested, let me know. It will be at LEAST the other side of this winter. There's some work to be done- needs chain/sprockets and an oil change, but other than that, it's in excellent shape. Brakes good, tires good.

A12EB62C-28D2-407C-A681-0EB49F762C24.jpeg

This was Iowa cornfield day.

I wanted to take this route because these are states I've never crossed, and I almost thought I'd never get across Iowa. The route took me through a LOT of this stuff. It was another COLD day- heated vest, grips all full on, and it was still bone-sapping cold. I eventually ran out of daylight and had to bail, but it was like a corn maze (maize?) to get out of there. I chatted with a corn truck driver- nice guy- who scratched his head "CaliFORNia??" and gave me some very complicated directions out of there.

There's no street signs in the cornfields.

Thanks for sharing this adventure! Looked like fun. Mmmmm Pie! 

22 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Thanks for sharing this adventure! Looked like fun. Mmmmm Pie! 

IMG_0545.jpg

That would be Linda Lou's in Franklin, PA. I went with the Carrot Cake, because vegetables are part of a healthy diet, and a slice of the pineapple cream pie. They had a helluva chicken salad sandwich on Texas Toast.

13 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Very cool; GIT YOUR SHOES OFF THE BED!!!  :)

Those are boots. 

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

IMG_0545.jpg

That would be Linda Lou's in Franklin, PA. I went with the Carrot Cake, because vegetables are part of a healthy diet, and a slice of the pineapple cream pie. They had a helluva chicken salad sandwich on Texas Toast.

Oh my gosh! Texas Toast! Awesome vittles! And all low carb! 

I liked Iowa, but then again I grew up in similar conditions.  

I’m willing to bring your bike back if you buy me two tall boys of PBR and a rhubarb pie.