San Diego Adventure Riders
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I will be a minute to minute planner this week as we have a mason working here in the yard.  Hope to jump in. Monday or Thursday may be my best chance. Only my schedule planner knows.   :blink:

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

I will be a minute to minute planner this week as we have a mason working here in the yard.  Hope to jump in. Monday or Thursday may be my best chance. Only my schedule planner knows.   :blink:

Thursday would work for me...

My grandson is due on Tuesday. I’ve been informed that these things don’t adhere to tight schedules so I’m probably out this week.

CiD

Looking at Campo to Jacumba and Valley of Moons. Two beginner to intermediate riders on small bikes....Anything we should be concerned with besides BP?

Working to be free Thirsday. Any other riders; leaning toward Borrego Breakfast Or Carrizo trailhead?

Forcast 80f; unbelievable !

Going to be at the Campo Sheriff station at about 8 am. Tomorrow morning. Exploration ride to Jacumba and In Ko Pa. Were riding 250’s if anyone would like to join or knows the area of Valley of Moons. No real route planned, then lunch at Jay’s if open.

Probably going to park in Descanso and romp down to the desert and back tomorrow if anybody wants to join or meet in the desert.  

Edit Thursday afternoon -   Cancelled for Thursday -  Will Update Thursday for Possible Friday - See Below

We have a vote of One to Nil for South Carrizo Wash Thursday.  I will suggest 0800 show-up at the Tree Camp east of S-2 just north of the bottom of Sweeny grade.

I have a mason working in the yard this week which needs my attention.  Therefore, I am standing at 80% this Tuesday evening. Wednesday afternoon I will confirm my attendance Thursday morn.

As Always,  Spare tube and tools to change, water and snacks for a 75 mile un-supported Tour of Anza Borrego Desert State Park. 80 F forecast high! 

Plated bikes, DOT  is the standard we are held to in the park.

Buskwacker,  Happy to see your internet literacy.  We might not show up if we don't know who is driving down. Will be good to see you. SoCalMule, let us know if you can venture south.

Bagstr

Quick question, Mr. Bagstr: I am considering changing out to the Shinko 505 Cheater tire on my DS.  Would this not be acceptable on a ride such as this?  I will not be able to attend but am looking for info as I do hope to make some of these in the near future.

According to Jeff Slavens this is a trials type tire in a knobby pattern . I would imagine this will get the job done in the desert. Everyone has their personal idea of best application on everything from seats to tubes to Motor Oil.  I have used trials tires on the rear a few years back and they work best in lose rocky trash where you are searching for every bit of traction.  We will include about 10 miles of pavement to connect the trails, so your call on whether you would want to subject your investment to that. 

Personally, I run about 12lbs with Heavy Duty tubes and Maxxis Desert IT rear and Shinko 216MX Fat Tire. They hold up about 1500 miles in Dual Sport use. Everyone has an opinion.  Acceptable is a loaded question. 

Mr. Bagstr

Thank you, sir.  It is my understanding that the Shinko Cheater tires (of which this is one) is not DOT rated, which begged the question.  Out in Johnson Valley last Saturday I was unable to make some hill climbs (running stock TKC-80 tires) and my buddy on the same bike with the 505 made it right up.  He does street and dirt with this and gets about 800 miles out of the tire he mentioned.  Is the Maxxis Desert IT a DOT rated tire?

Not trying to hijack; will back down now!  Just trying to plan for making some of these rides and do not want to be turned away or subject anyone (myself or the group) to scrutiny and/or a spanking!

The Maxxis is not DOT. It has been my tire of choice on the rear out in the desert for years. However I will be switching to this MotoZ tire for this season.

http://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-desert-ht/

This is my new favorite front tire.

http://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-enduro-st/

CiD

If you have been using the Maxxis and been happy with it, why go to the MotoZ?  Is it for the DOT Rating?   My son was also along on the ride Saturday and he likes the Maxxis (KX450) and made the hill climbs that I did not.

I've never been so confused over buying tires!  Used to just get the Dunlop D606's and ride.  In 40 years of riding I have never been pulled over so am not super concerned about a non DOT (what happens if you do get pulled over without them?) but am now concerned that I may be the bad guy in the group and do not want to subject anybody to that.

The kenda k270 is a good rear for the price . Does well in deep sand street legal.

In my high performance and high maintenance and expensive  ktm i use heavy duty diesl truck motor oil Delo 400 from  Rotella thats what the isle worker recommened at Wal mart.

Bruce,  No surprise the TKCs did not perform well in difficult conditions. You have a good deal of room for improvement with Any other choice. Sending a Personal Message. 

Covered in Diapers,

We look forward to a Full Road Test.  Have you run either of these on anything other than a Forest Service road? Are you going 80/100 or 90/100 up front?

Dave

15 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Bruce,  No surprise the TKCs did not perform well in difficult conditions. You have a good deal of room for improvement with Any other choice. Sending a Personal Message. 

Covered in Diapers,

We look forward to a Full Road Test.  Have you run either of these on anything other than a Forest Service road? Are you going 80/100 or 90/100 up front?

Dave

Today is the day. 

Lets grab a beer next week and I’ll give the full report on the tires. 

As a responsible SDAR member my switch is only to be DOT compliant. Someone in authority out in the desert said that non DOT tires are more destructive to the trails. This is an ignorant statement when jeeps do most of the damage to trails, but why fight it when there are very good DOzt tires available.

The Thursday Opportunity is Canceled -  Will check back Thursday afternoon for possible Friday

Well, the mason had a short day today and will be laying first coarse Thursday. Gotta be there to play Quality Control Manager. 

Good News is that the weather is holding for Friday at 80F. I will post up here Thursday afternoon to let the crowd ( Bushwacker ) know if I can make Friday work. 

Bagstr