kkug

"KUG.S " Mystery Ride 2018 Edition-- NOV 17-18

I up dated with a new start time. Look at first post for details . 

I was thinking about riding from my place in the town of Ocotillo about 30 miles to the ranger station, will the Salton Sea fuel stop be within another 70 miles or so ? I know it is as the crow flys but just depends on if we are crows or not and Is anyone going to have radios ? 

I got a firelog. Whether or not it will still be on the bike when we reach our secret destination is yet to be seen. Also will have a radio.

2 hours ago, royboyz said:

I was thinking about riding from my place in the town of Ocotillo about 30 miles to the ranger station, will the Salton Sea fuel stop be within another 70 miles or so ? I know it is as the crow flys but just depends on if we are crows or not and Is anyone going to have radios ? 

Will have my radio! See you Saturday! 

2 hours ago, royboyz said:

Yes we will top off at Salton city after starting at O Wells. Yes some will have radios. 

On 10/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, Covered in Dust said:

If we are going where Ken and I discussed 100 mile range is adequate.

It is big bike doable if you are comfortable in lots of sand. That said small bikes would be better suited.

Dinner and breakfast for Saturday night and Sunday morning. Lunch available on route and beverages will be available for purchase about 40 miles from camp.

I wouldn’t put new knobbies on because there will be about 100 miles of pavement.

All subject to change if Kug changes destination.

CiD

Just now saw this post...I sure hope the 100 miles of pavement gets eliminated. I run nitro mousse inserts and I don't ride over 60 mph, or longer than a few miles (10) on pavement due to potential mousse failure due to overheating. Should I back out of this one? Bummer, cuz I was really looking forward to my first Kug ride! 

The pavement part  is unavoidable, but it’s broken up into sections and over 2 days so I would think you will be OK.

CiD

2 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

The pavement part  is unavoidable, but it’s broken up into sections and over 2 days so I would think you will be OK.

CiD

We could do a bit more dirt. And you could dive onto the shoulder in the rural areas. 

Thanks Kug! This would help a lot! I ride dirt primarily. RFS KTM's have this thing about the Counter Shaft (CS) that hates the street; the CS wares out much sooner than their later cousins; and KTM no longer makes them! To top it off, as I mentioned earlier, I run nitro mousse inside my tires and they need more attention than tubes; and are not recommended to run on the street due to heat build-up and possible disintegration. I ride with PMB, Bags, Rigger, Randy, Paul and Brian a bunch but we keep the slab to a minimum. It's a running joke that the Mule keeps it a 57 mph. I noticed a couple of posts here that MrJaJa and Royboys also have some concerns as far as the dirt/street percentages as well.

Thanks for your consideration! Mule

I don't have concerns, is just that I am not ready for more pee gravel and sand with the 1150 and gear. We will find a way around and for everyone. Will bring my radio. what frequency do we use? 

found the FH

4 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

don't have concerns, is just that I am not ready for more pee gravel and sand with the 1150 and gear. We will find a way around and for everyone. Will bring my radio. what frequency do we use? 

From what I've read on the site Mr JaJa I would say the frequency would be 146.505 but may be wrong

5 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Thanks Kug! This would help a lot! I ride dirt primarily. RFS KTM's have this thing about the Counter Shaft (CS) that hates the street; the CS wares out much sooner than their later cousins; and KTM no longer makes them! To top it off, as I mentioned earlier, I run nitro mousse inside my tires and they need more attention than tubes; and are not recommended to run on the street due to heat build-up and possible disintegration. I ride with PMB, Bags, Rigger, Randy, Paul and Brian a bunch but we keep the slab to a minimum. It's a running joke that the Mule keeps it a 57 mph. I noticed a couple of posts here that MrJaJa and Royboys also have some concerns as far as the dirt/street percentages as well.

Mule - Well no gaurentees. This is Dual Sporting so a person has to ride on the Pavement. You might want to go with the Tubliss system. I got it and have no problems on the Highway.  I have also put 1100 + hours on my old O5 RFS and never had any spline isues. I just changed my front sprocket when hooked a lot and used new a new bolt. 

A extra set of tubed Dual Sport wheels would be nice. I just got a set but won,t use them on this ride . I got to change some bearings first. 

I used to worry about those things and now just ride and wear stuff out. As CID says at our age we don,t have that much riding left. 

I used to worry about those things and now just ride and wear stuff out. As CID says at our age we don,t have that much riding left."

Each Day could be our last!! This is where I am heading.

image.png.295c61e5ac0c7cec4c15d33d7c85ff11.png2019_Monkey_600x400_BananaYellow_trans.png

3 hours ago, kkug said:

As CID says at our age we don,t have that much riding left. 

That is not a thought that I want to entertain!!!

12 hours ago, kkug said:

Mule - Well no gaurentees. This is Dual Sporting so a person has to ride on the Pavement. You might want to go with the Tubliss system. I got it and have no problems on the Highway.  I have also put 1100 + hours on my old O5 RFS and never had any spline isues. I just changed my front sprocket when hooked a lot and used new a new bolt. 

A extra set of tubed Dual Sport wheels would be nice. I just got a set but won,t use them on this ride . I got to change some bearings first. 

I used to worry about those things and now just ride and wear stuff out. As CID says at our age we don,t have that much riding left. 

Noted. Thanks. Speak for your selves to the "don't have much riding left" stuff! ;)

19 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

My friend still has one of those bikes. He replaced the shaft when they were available. Apparently there are still some out there. Some guys snatched them up before stock ran out. They can also be welded, re-machined, and case hardened. Not sure about the sequence of that fix. A machinist, maybe CID, would know about that. If it is do-able, or not. Using high pressure grease on the splines at assembly may help preserve them too. Maybe you could throw some tubes in there for this ride. Or just carry a spare or two. Cshaft info: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1270209-cross-reference-part-numbers-for-same-part-use-on-multiple-models/

6 hours ago, amgems said:

My friend still has one of those bikes. He replaced the shaft when they were available. Apparently there are still some out there. Some guys snatched them up before stock ran out. They can also be welded, re-machined, and case hardened. Not sure about the sequence of that fix. A machinist, maybe CID, would know about that. If it is do-able, or not. Using high pressure grease on the splines at assembly may help preserve them too. Maybe you could throw some tubes in there for this ride. Or just carry a spare or two. Cshaft info: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1270209-cross-reference-part-numbers-for-same-part-use-on-multiple-models/

Thank you amgems! I have a 20% worn CS spare from Dave over at DJH. Just don't want to use it too soon. I spoke with CID today and got some good intel. I know that changing out the CS Sprocket more often, and a Renthal CSS seems to provide a bit more bite (wider) on the available spline area. Aftermarket CS washer can be a a benefit as well. I bookmarked your thumper talk link that is some really good information. :thumbsup_anim:

17 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

a Renthal CSS seems to provide a bit more bite (wider) on the available spline area. Aftermarket CS washer can be a a benefit as well.

Hmmm.

My understanding (which means I read it on the internet) was the OEM CS sprocket itself is made of a slightly softer alloy, making intentionally sacrificial- the sprocket wears instead of the CS splines. The aftermarket sprockets are hardened for increased mileage on the chain teeth.

I have not tested this concept, but consider it worthy of consideration.

Are we riding this weekend or repairing KTM's? Lets talk on the fire about this KTM issues. Dont think that my 1977, 350 GS had a CS.