dirt dame

A nice Sunday ride 09/23/18

I hadn't been riding with my buddy KJ since last Thanksgiving.  Since then, life sort of got in the way of us getting together and making any riding plans.  But we finally made a riding date for last weekend and met up at Heart Bar on Sunday.  The early Autumn weather as perfect, warm and sunny with a cool breeze.  We did a 90 mile loop with a nice lunch stop in Big Bear at the Peppercorn  Grille.  We wanted to stop at a "u pick" apple orchard on the way back to the cars, but it was getting too late in the day.  Maybe another time for that.

Yes, that's a potted plant on my carrier.  It was a belated birthday present from Karen.

44847868792_82cb87be0a_o.jpg

We both had our Go Pros with us.  Karen had to get hers ready with a fresh battery.

29961720857_62df98ee64_o.jpg

I was ready for my close up....

44877341061_8d735cb705_o.jpg

We took a side trip up to Butler Peak.  I hadn't been up there since 1984.  Things had changed.

29961681077_ef1b6db782_o.jpg

44177994414_cd459421d6_o.jpg

43086144560_7bd06551a6_o.jpg

Some randomly weirdo clouds on my way home. 

31024998098_09d6579e8f_o.jpg

A little mellow riding on Sand Canyon, late in the morning.

7 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Very nice, how’s the road to Butler Peak? Could the Wee Strom make it?

There were a couple of small tough spots, but there were two adventure bikes at the top. 

6 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

Looked like you had a fun ride!

Big Bear is always a fun ride!B)

Well done Dirt Dame, the way you zip up to BB to get in those mountain rides is impressive.....  I want to follow your lead, both in getting to local higher dirt roads, and literally so I can gain some knowledge from you about those mountains.  Cheers. 

That Heart Bar area is a nice quiet base.  I prefer the south side of BB, pretty mellow. 

I ride Big Bear a lot in the summer, as it is usually 15 to 20 degrees cooler  than our local area and the valleys in general.  Lots of great forest roads, some easy, some black diamond.  Lots of great places to stop for lunch in town.  Winter can be tough and in snowy years, a lot  of the gates are closed...as they should be.