Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

How to Avoid Flats - Chilly White's Tips

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/tip-to-prevent-flat-tires

This video is worth a review once a year.  It is simply about good technique and issues to watch for as you prepare to mount a new tube.

For example; spoke ends smooth, duct tape over spokes, good tubes, valve stem nut.  Personally, in my opinion the proper sized rim lock is a big issue.

If you keep ripping off valve stems even with rim locks installed, I bet you have the wrong width lock allowing the tire to rotate.  :o

Note besides all the great stuff shown, try to keep that installation clean as possible, if its a dirty trailside fix, tear it down back home and clean itall up. No sand grit/sticks FOD will keep the friction wear down as well. Gorilla tape is my god of all tapes for everything. PS Michelin Air Stop tubes are  also of the highest quality they also come in HD and XHD(4mm). 4mm is excessive costly and heavy, but I used those for years- they are super bullet proof. In Tecate I put a big open vee notch into my front rim on sharp rock exposing the tire bead, it was that deep the UHD tube was poking out and never pinch broke, we zip tied and taped over the "injury" and completed the all day ride with no issues. That's another thing for the butt bag, monster zip ties the big heavy duty ones are great for handcuffing bad blokes and great for holding tires onto the rim in a fix.

I've rarely had flats or pinches  using heavy duty tubes, and I never patch a tube.

Picking a good line thru rocks helps prevent pinches.

Of course, you can't avoid the occasional nail or whatever.