97xr400r

Big miles, little tanks. Your favorite way to carry extra fuel off-road?

I don't have a rear rack. Giant loop and backpack options only.

Opinions and creative ways of carrying extra fuel? I may need an extra 2/3 gallons. What has worked best for you?

Gatorade bottles, wine box bags, MSR bottles, GL Fuel safe bags etc. What have you guys tried? Did it end in a mess or burning nether regions? :girl_devil:

I've seen on two separate occasions guys show up with gas station 1-gallon plastic cans strapped to a rear rack... both times fuel got all over the place. Doh!

Giant loop Mojave bags.  I then bought about a dozen sodas in plastic bottles to find the best size for the bags.  I forget which soda it was but I found the 1.5 liter size fits best. 

1.5L in each bag = .8 gallons.  Enough for most extended riding occasions.  The soda bottles are tough enough, are built to handle pressure, haven't leaked yet and gas doesn't seem to degrade them. I have reused them many times.

I only carried extra fuel one time on my trip across the US and Canada, on the Dempster Highway the first section is 230 miles without any services.  I used a one gallon oil container, didn't need it because my bike got excellent mileage because I went slow.  No leaks!  Of course that was just a temporary solution.  Most people seem to love the RotoPax system.  If I had a bike that needed extra range often, that would be the route I would go.

I’ve carried a 2 liter soda bottle in my back pack many times. No leaks. Stop and put it the bike as ASAP to get the weight off my back. 

I run a Rotopax on the back of my WR450f. Typically 1 gallon, I can fit a 2 gallon but I'm afraid it might crack the subframe if I'm having too much fun (and it looks like I'm delivering a pizza). 

Mo7KubHh.jpg

Ive used the msr dromedary 4litre bag a dozen times with great success not fuel rating but ive only left fuel in bladder for 18hrs max before once and mostly just couple hours until 40ish miles into ride then dump it. I like the giantloop fuel bladder but $$$

I use a Rotopax on a custom mounting plate attached to Wolfman racks. Works great and I can still use the Giant Loop bags and tool tubes behind it.

i-Sv5pTh4-L.jpg

i-m2rWKDv-L.jpg

2 each 30 oz MSR fuel bottles.  Like you use for your gas camp stove.  They are designed for storing fuel.  This half gallon of fuel will get me about 20 miles further down the road if needed. Not much, but it's 20 miles of pushing I won't have to do.  (This is on my 1150GS).  If I were to go off on more remote touring, I would add another 2 bottles for almost 1 gallon.  They attach to the rear of my aluminum panniers so storage is easy peezy.

There's a ton of options for a ton of needs.

I use the 30 oz MSR fuel bottles also. Durable and designed for fuel.  If you have a plastic bottle in a side bag/back pack and go down, it could get crushed and blow the top off or punctured.  Having your gear covered in gasolina no bueno.

Sounds like you need to get some racks and a couple of Rotopax’ containers if you " need 2-3 gallons, and back off on the wrist a little!

On September 19, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Bp619 said:

Ive used the msr dromedary 4litre bag a dozen times with great success not fuel rating but ive only left fuel in bladder for 18hrs max before once and mostly just couple hours until 40ish miles into ride then dump it. I like the giantloop fuel bladder but $$$

Ive done the same.  Fraction of the price of the fue rated bladders.  I think if you google it, there was another forum where a few guys did some long term testing and it holds up really well.  I think those guys left fuel in the bladder for a month, hung it upside down, and reported no leaks or damage.  That was enough for me to give it a go.  They come in a few different sizes and mine have taken a beating.image.thumb.jpeg.9c498ee88358a47a4dc845c8a6de7279.jpeg

18 hours ago, bfar33 said:

I use a Rotopax on a custom mounting plate attached to Wolfman racks. Works great and I can still use the Giant Loop bags and tool tubes behind it.

i-Sv5pTh4-L.jpg

i-m2rWKDv-L.jpg

Great Pics!  Any link to a ride report for this trip?  How does your WRR compare to your old DR650?

I've heard of guys using Starbucks or similar soft coffee containers and tossing them once they reach their destination.  ymmv

sb.jpg

43 minutes ago, Goofy Footer said:

I've heard of guys using Starbucks or similar soft coffee containers and tossing them once they reach their destination.  ymmv

sb.jpg

Ive heard of this too or the wine bladders. But seems like only one time use in a pinch

1 gallon Prestone bottle in an ammo dump pouch. Straps onto tool pack belt and also has a thigh strap..think drop down holster. 

20170223_083724_zpsmqbsrtyv.jpg