97xr400r

Whats up with riding, eye glasses and goggles?

Getting old is a pain in the ass. I'm new to the whole glasses thing and haven't figured out how to have goggles and eyesight correction. I figured, mehhh, I can just ride with no googles... bad Idea for me, its been 24 hrs and my eyes still look like I stumbled out of a Cheech and Chong movie set.

What are my fellow nearsighted riders rocking?

Any advice is appreciated :cool04:

Oakley L frame has a slot for temples.  I also use a clear dual sport Shoei with horizontal black tape at the top to shield the sundowns.

Three layers of dust protection as needed.

59 minutes ago, Ptkatoomer said:

Are you sticking those on your goggle lens?

Yes, they self stick to the inside of the goggle lens and can be pealed off and reused.

Just wearing prescription glasses/sunglasses under goggles.  The hard part I find is not rubbing the foam of the goggles against your glasses (putting them on over glasses) as they have oils from your face and it smears on the glasses and makes a mess/dust collector.

Okley L frame goggles for me for many years. One ride in Nevada I just did my glases- open dual sport helmet. Not good. You be suprised how much dirt get thrown up from front wheel even when leading . 

+3 for Oakley L Frame. They work very well.   Key thing for me was to order a pair of supple eyeglass frames that fit inside the goggles and don't get caught on the inside or get smashed into my face.

Are contacts not an option for you?  I've been wearing them for over 40 years and can ride, ski, surf, etc. with them and no issues.  Nearsighted and 20-400 vision.

This is why I like adventure helmets (i.e. face shield).

Agree with all above.... 

When going over 30 mph, or in dusty conditions, or when front tire is kicking up debris, and not in the lead, goggles are definitely on. If solo on cleanish road, especially on steep slow climbs, no goggles needed, and much much cooler, only glasses are fine.  When Goggles are on, I use SCOTT OTG (Over the glasses) which are similar to oakley, but maybe not as fancy, but not as expensive.  They have a nice slot for the frame to slide by without putting any pressure on your temples, nor allowing a gap for dust to find its way under the goggle. I ride with Goggles 90 % of the time.

However, once it gets gnarly, or when behind a group spraying dust everywhere, or for long fast paved rides back to the truck at night, or in mega powder dust, rocks tossed back from other riders, rain, snow, cold, bees, gnat swarms, etc...  I drop the Adventure Helmet clear screen on helmet right over the goggles and smile from the significantly increased additional protection. Not often, but seems heaven sent when I need to.

I have tried the helmet shield only, with Goggles in the back pouch, but almost always, it gets too hot real quick and I have to pull over and get goggles on.  Maybe a fancy helmet that breaths super good doesn't heat up as much. I wear a lower cost helmet (G-Max), but it has done well, especially because it is one of the only adventure helmets that allow the helmet shield to be pulled up so far that when wearing goggles only, the helmet screen is entirely out of view.  

Just a quick note I found the Klim helmet that I got from Oracle allows me to put the face shield down with goggles on, sweet... My Arai did not, not sweet...

Personally I wear contacts when I ride which isn’t always the greatest. I typically wear more breathable goggles which after a long day of riding in dusty conditions can lead to contacts drying out but if I wear goggles with thicker foam for better dust blocking they tend to fog more easily. Most goggle manufacturers make OTG (over the glasses) versions of goggles. 

spent years with glasses under the googles then many more with contacts, only to suffer a bad infection...so after over a year riding of riding again with glasses . I went to Codet Vision Institute in Tijuana and for freaking 2k I got both my eyes fixed!!! From a world class level doctor (Chayet). 

BTW I ride much better now (again like with contacts) without the doubled lenses, double dust coating, fogging etc etc of glasses under the goggles. Difference is now I'm very good as farsighted but I do need reading glasses for the up close stuff, where as before I had microscopic vision out to `12"  but was virtually blind out past a few feet. Flip Flop on vision and couldn't be happier. another BTW if I used a GPS I would not be able to read it on my bars. If you stick with glasses use the goggles brand that are designed for glasses.

17 hours ago, Oracle said:

This is why I like adventure helmets (i.e. face shield).

+1 LB...my fist choice as well...

I've found that the less layers the better. Prescription sunglasses with a wrap around configuration and the magnetic insert foam seals work pretty good. Carry a pair of Scott K frame in the pack for when it's needed, but having the drop down face shield is nice for fast changing conditions.

Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it

I have a pair of older Oakley half-jackets into which I had my progressive prescription placed- a very expensive process, but works a treat. When everyone slows down to let me ride in front, I flip up the visor on the XD4 for plenty of breeze and maintain some eye protection- the Oakleys work well for this. They've deflected plenty of sand, sticks and rocks. When the other guys get bored following me, I can put the visor down for full protection. 

While tempted, I've not had my eyes cut- I don't want the compromise mentioned above- loss of unaided near vision. My wife had it done several years ago- and she needs glasses again for close work and night driving.

I'll add that when choosing glasses it is important to choose a pair that works with your helmet and goggles. When shopping for new glasses I take my helmet and goggles in the store and test the fit as I ride. 

Eyeglass wearer while riding here.

I was talking to a Scott’s rep and he suggested making a slit into the foam to get a “better” fit. 

I typically wear Scott’s OTG goggles.  The sand version is next up on the buy list, to prevent sand getting in ;).   The sand model has a little denser foam around the eye ventilation.

The scotts otg dont fog up under hard conditions for me.    I don’t need the cut, they work awesome and they are inexpensive.

I tried the oakley L frame - while top quality it would press my glasses into my eyelashes.   So I was alway fidgeting with the goggles.   I might try making the cut in the foam to remove some of the pressure just to get some service life out it.  Otherwise they will just sit on the shelf.

I use wire eyeglass frames with the Oakley L frames goggles. Costco.  No problemo!   The flexible temple piece also avoids pressure points.  Take you goggles into the store and try on the sample frames.

glad to have found this thread.  I wear glasses.  Can't see chit without them near or far.  Got pissed when I rode blind for quite awhile in the rain.  faceshield up, glasses fogged.  My oakley over glasses goggles still mash the glasses to my face.  I need to rethink this whole system as I'm spending some time in Washington this summer.  Rain is eminent there.

I like the new 100% goggles for their sweat dissipation theory/build.  Any of you desert MX riders have an update on best way to handle sweat in the desert for us eyeglass wearers?

^^^ I don't own the 100% goggle.  Just have seen it and it seems it could be a better solution.  I sweat like a dam horse.