Sign in to follow this  
RobATK94

Big bike newb

I Inherited a 2015 V-Strom 650 XT.  Guess this makes me part of the big bike crew now, even though I hate coffee and Starbucks.  

All the gear I carry is based around small bikes, which is perfect for day trips on my 200xcw, but I started thinking about what I may need for the vstrom.  I'm guessing my mountain bike hand pump doesn't stand a chance to seat a bead on the vstrom if it went flat and rolled.  Are you big bike guys carrying 12v pumps?  Or a bunch of the CO2 cartridges?  

With plugs being the only option for tire fixes, is there any other reason to pack tire tools or tools to remove the wheels?

The small 12v starter packs seem to be mandatory.   What else do you carry that's really only specific for big bikes?  

Went out to Fonts Point this morning and started thinking about all this.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well I always thought that I didn't need any tire tools, but after thinking about it I started carrying tire spoons and a tube on my Super Tenere.  What if I get a big cut that a plug won't fix?  What if I just can't get the bead to seat?  As for that, I also carry a ratchet strap that fits around the wheel (check it first, I messed up on this once!) so that it can help get the bead seated.  12V pumps don't put out a lot of volume, so getting the bead seated is a difficult affair.

Starbucks has things other than coffee, you'll be ok.  

Definitely carry a 12v pump. I've used mine several times and they work great. I'm carrying the Slime 12v air pump and I know plenty of others are carrying the same pump and endorse it.

I also carry larger tire spoons than I do on my small bike. 

I also carry a few additional tools, larger zip ties, etc.