trcooperone

GPS maps

I just got a Garmin 64s and am trying to learn all the features.

Is there a way to get maps from dual sport map on to my Garmin?

or do I have to recreate them using Garmin basecamp software?

any help to get me started would be great!! Thanks!

If you are talking about dualsportmaps.com I've had a hard time trying to figure out how to download anything from that site. Probably me. A good map to start with is City Navigator North America NT. You get it from Garmin and I believe they tell you how to load it. It shows a lot of dirt roads, and some trails. As mentioned, Cal Trail Map is also very good and super detailed. I usually load them into Base Camp and then into my device. There may be a way to load maps directly to the GPS unit too?? Someone will know. I have downloaded tracks from http://www.gpsxchange.com/ Again, onto Base Camp and then into the unit. Pretty easy to work with gpsxchange.

Keep trying stuff and practicing with the new toy, you'll figure it out.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, Wintyfresh said:

I've been very happy with http://www.californiatrailmap.com/. The maps are very accurate, very easy to load onto a Garmin device (I also keep a copy on my Android phone and tablet), and the creator even posts on SDAR. 

THIS!  Make your own routes.

Ive been very happy with the map accuracy of California trail maps.  Ive done a few trips and made a point to get into the middle of nowhere using these maps and everything was exactly where it should have been.  trails and roads that almost dont physically exist any longer because of rain, overgrowth, and zero maintenance and use are easily found on the mapping software.  Every time I had to cut off or bypass something, easily found other ways around because of all the detail and time spent on these maps.

This is a picture of a road we ran last year.  really the "road" got less and less visible, and more over grown until it turned into nothing.  It got to the point that we were just riding the line on the GPS.  we followed the line and 10-15 miles later we picked up the other end of the road.  No idea if this route exists on any other maps or not, but I would have never come across it otherwise.  Ive rode now from Temecula to mono lake and back almost all in the dirt based off of routes created 100% from California trial maps.  never had an issue.

If the guy who created it reads this, you are the man!!!  Keep it coming.

IMG_1940_thumb_JPG_1808bf970a2966b700005723f9730fb4.jpg.5d76b1a70cc119a9ca50df4ad34d882b.jpg

+1 on getting cal maps loaded. Really fun for wandering

And here is a good video on how to create routes in Google maps (much easier than trying to do it in Basecamp), turning the route into a GPX file, and then downloading it to your computer. From your computer, you can then upload it into Basecamp and onto your GPS.

https://www.google.com/search?q=turning+google+maps+route+into+gpx&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS778US778&oq=turning+google+maps+route+into+gpx&aqs=chrome..69i57.7434j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

I bought California trails map, thank you for the recommendation!!!

Thank you for the other options, I am stoked to get started and explore!