Got the random email from Rob that reminded me to sign up for this:

2018_UMC.jpg

I'll be leaving Saturday afternoon with my son (who isn't racing), and we have trailer space and a bed available.  My goal is to finish.

Yea!! Great news Matt, see you there. Also there is a support effort for local D37 racer Ryan Kudla for his ISDE fund. I plan on supporting his trip fund to Chile!

Also we will loop back in from tests right? I want fuel before the end of the tests, 50 miles is too close for comfort.

Very interested.

Is it more desert race or enduro typically?

The individual tests are typically split between  cross country and enduro. The tests sound short, in the 6-8 mile range. Then a short break till the next test. 

Based on my lack of seat time, these sound right up my alley. Think I'll try to hit up some of the '19 series.

21 hours ago, robertaccio said:

Yea!! Great news Matt, see you there. Also there is a support effort for local D37 racer Ryan Kudla for his ISDE fund. I plan on supporting his trip fund to Chile!

Also we will loop back in from tests right? I want fuel before the end of the tests, 50 miles is too close for comfort.

By my reckoning, you could come back to the pits after every test if you wanted to.  8 tests, around 6 miles/test.

Terrainwise, my expectation is that it will be more geared towards technical desert rather than top gear whoop sections.  I generally do not feel outgunned on a 250F.

I'm in.  I really don't know what to expect but I'll be up Saturday night and will try and finish.  If it's fun, I may do the series next year.

Great news all, We can aim to park in the same area, always nice to have a crew. I want to come up on Sat eve but may need to do the zero dark thirty run up on Sunday morn. regardless see yall there.

15 hours ago, HacksawPete said:

I'm in.  I really don't know what to expect but I'll be up Saturday night and will try and finish.  If it's fun, I may do the series next year.

Pete no worries about finish, you just ride at your pace, safe but race pace , you will finish. this format is great and creates a class matching speed test not so much a knockdown drag out enduro survival test. I am sure they will throw some technical rocky stuff at us , but like Matt mentioned it comes at you in 5 mile test bursts, not at you like the 3rd loop after 80 miles of dez of a national H&H or the Tecate enduro type race.

16 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

The individual tests are typically split between  cross country and enduro. The tests sound short, in the 6-8 mile range. Then a short break till the next test. 

Based on my lack of seat time, these sound right up my alley. Think I'll try to hit up some of the '19 series.

You better be signed for this!! I want my minute mates to finish the Tecate on good order!!! see you up there Mr.!!!

Did this race last year. Signed up for the Exp/Int loop which was lots of technical and gnarly hill climbs. Couple hills were prone to log jams. I heard the the Nov/Beg loop was more desert whoops and high speed stuff. Pick your poison. Roll off the start based on class and skill but after the first test it’s whenever you feel like it. You can stop at your pit for as long as you like between test as long as you roll off the line for your final test before the cutoff. I timed it last year to where I rolled off the line for my final test with 5 minutes to spare. 

2 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

Did this race last year. Signed up for the Exp/Int loop which was lots of technical and gnarly hill climbs. Couple hills were prone to log jams. I heard the the Nov/Beg loop was more desert whoops and high speed stuff. Pick your poison. Roll off the start based on class and skill but after the first test it’s whenever you feel like it. You can stop at your pit for as long as you like between test as long as you roll off the line for your final test before the cutoff. I timed it last year to where I rolled off the line for my final test with 5 minutes to spare. 

Are you going with me Devon?

2 hours ago, robertaccio said:

You better be signed for this!! I want my minute mates to finish the Tecate on good order!!! see you up there Mr.!!!

Right now I'm nursing a bum knee. Haven't done anything for 6 weeks, even missed 2 weeks of work. I'm about ready to try riding   but don't think I should go racing first time out.

9 hours ago, TexasDualler said:

glad Im opting for the TX300. which is now ready to go fully prepped

sent the threatening participants a DM with my contact info.  There are a couple of places they have staged in the past.

Great event. All desert single track. Love the format of 1 bike starting every 20 seconds. Don’t know of anyone getting hurt. 

Will definatly race more of this series 

This was like civilized racing and I like it.  You can start with your 20180923_125531.thumb.jpg.cb3fb869910da7216cabbd29d15b6277.jpgbuddies and regroup at the end of the section.   You can even choose to start a section behind the experts that would otherwise be blasting past you.   My bike definitely did better in the sand with the forks dropped down in the tripleclamp.   Sadly, I broke an exhaust hanger and might have to do a big tear down to weld it back on.   Anybody know a good way to fix this let me know.   I'm also including a picture of the fender card so you see how they record your times for each section.

20180924_102034.jpg

5502CCB0-9EBC-48C2-8145-6A546197638E.jpeg.a99364c77fa206be86caf69516cd21b2.jpeg

Maybe something like this could work as a temporary fix for your broken pipe mount tab. An electrical cable mount. 

Pete why would it need a full tear down to be welded back on? Location is stuff the way? I have a welder could help if u need. Send pics if u need help

I never thought to snap a fender card foto! cool.  I agree 100% about this race.. Its such a good format for a dez race experience. safe and fun and challenging too.

For a decent welder those are fairly easy to get to whether its the fwd frame or the central mounted one, I've had them welded without doing too clearance disassembly. Ive also ridden a lot before I fixed my central one that cracked off on my 2014 TE300.

I like Duallers temp fix good call on the "adel" clamp, can even go with a stainless one for added strength as long as it has space to wrap around the frame at the desired location.

38 minutes ago, TexasDualler said:

So was it six different loops or was it the same loop six times?

2 diffent loops with 2 sections to each loop.