wildwood

Alpine to Anza Overnight Ride Sept. 15 & 16th

UPDATED THREAD 9/13/18

POSTPONING RIDE START UNTIL SATURDAY MORNING, 9/15

NEW START LOCATION: DESCANSO PARK-N-RIDE 9AM (The planned route from there will remain the same to Santa Rosa Peak)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Rosa+Mountain/@33.5376124,-116.462341,374m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80dbac86a2d62671:0xd066772a74571d05!8m2!3d33.5378065!4d-116.4614034?hl=en&authuser=0

Due to some late in the process chassis/mechanical issues that showed up on my Husky this afternoon, I need Friday to finish fixing the problem and get the bike packed.

Sorry about the late notice. Hopefully no sleepers show up at Alberson's tomorrow morning.

UPDATED THREAD 9/11/18

Temperatures for 9/14 through 9/16 are forecast to be 86 high & 56 low, pretty much perfect.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa+Rosa+Mountain/@33.5376124,-116.462341,374m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80dbac86a2d62671:0xd066772a74571d05!8m2!3d33.5378065!4d-116.4614034?hl=en&authuser=0

The ride will start at the Alpine Albertson's on Friday 9/14. An 8am ksu from Alpine, take Viejas Grade to Boulder Creek, Cedar Creek to Julian 79. A second meetup at Santa Ysabel around 10-ish Is customary for any north county riders that want to meet up on Friday. Then a 20 mile road section to Warner Springs, right at Lost Valley and follow through Cooper Clenega TT to Anza. A gas and food stop in Anza, then head to the Santa Rosa Peak yellow post sites at the top for camping. 

Is anyone interested in doing an overnight ride & camp somewhere up around Anza next weekend Sept. 14,15 or 16th?  Deer season starts for rifle the 21st. I don't want to do it up there after that.  I'll wait for the dez.

I wanted to throw a feeler out there before posting a ride.

I'm thinking either Santa Rosa peak again, or maybe a site over on Thomas Mt. , which I haven't explored much of.   Most likely a big bike friendly type of ride, but I'll be on my Husky.

Please chime in if interested.

Sounds promising.  Santa Rosa Peak is unmatched for the view, especially at night looking down on Palm Springs.  But it could be a destination if we were to go for a ride after getting settled in. Toolbox Springs & Thomas Mt. yellow post sites look interesting too. 

Sounds interesting.  Except the overnite part.  What day and time would you be leaving Alpine?  Staging at?  Thinking of tagging along till ???

Last weekend it appeared most of the camping was filled up on Thomas Mountain, but that was Sunday Labor day

6 hours ago, crfxer said:

Sounds interesting.  Except the overnite part.  What day and time would you be leaving Alpine?  Staging at?  Thinking of tagging along till ???

I think a Sat. - Sun (15th-16th). ride would probably be the easiest with this short notice. 

I was considering meeting at the Alpine Albertson's if anyone might be coming from the south and west. If not, then  start from Descanso Park -n- Ride

The forecast  is clear with high's around the low 90's.

A 7am ksu from Alpine would be best based on temps, take Viejas Grade to Boulder Creek, Cedar Creek to Julian 79. A second meetup at Santa Ysabel around 10-ish Is customary for any north county riders. Then a 20 mile road section to Warner Springs, right at Lost Valley and follow through Cooper Clenega TT to Anza.  Find camp from there.

35 minutes ago, wildwood said:

I think a Sat. - Sun (15th-16th). ride would probably be the easiest with this short notice. 

I was considering meeting at the Alpine Albertson's if anyone might be coming from the south and west. If not, then  start from Descanso Park -n- Ride

The forecast  is clear with high's around the low 90's.

A 7am ksu from Alpine would be best based on temps, take Viejas Grade to Boulder Creek, Cedar Creek to Julian 79. A second meetup at Santa Ysabel around 10-ish Is customary for any north county riders. Then a 20 mile road section to Warner Springs, right at Lost Valley and follow through Cooper Clenega TT to Anza.  Find camp from there.

Please keep an eye out for my lost tool cover along Lost Valley!  Cheers!

IMG_0756_zps7fb3152c.jpg

Man, I wish I could join you guys but I got something going on already.

Bob, please secure your luggage properly for this trip... :heh::heh::heh:

This was my campsite last time I was up on Santa Rosa:

20151002_134642.thumb.jpg.a15d03d13a86464b3f6197ac5ad8ebee.jpg

4 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Coming home Sunday?

Yes. 

LB, that's a bummer. I got the packing thing down, my Mosko Moto 40L works phenomenally, but it's still a load on the little bike.  

Dscn0780.thumb.jpg.20eff30f60acb592b2416c35179b25eb.jpg

Dscn0796.thumb.jpg.82f4c5876f9174e6a72472df636631d3.jpg

Dscn0813.thumb.jpg.8c20e9386d0abbfa5b1605512cb3a42b.jpg

Well......, 2 solid's  2 maybe's and 1 partial. 

Just so I can beat this topic to death, who would be available to leave on Friday morning?  It gives us a much better chance to get a choice spot, and more options for riding through the weekend.

I'll post the ride tonight once sorted. 

It looks like Wierdider is voting for a Friday launch as well, so it looks like a Sept. 14th & 15th (Friday & Saturday) starting from Descanso.  

Champ's out 

I can't do Friday. So you are only camping out Friday nite? 

3 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Hey Bob, can you move this thread to upcoming rides?

Alright, let's do it.  Friday & Saturday night at Santa Rosa with a return on Sunday.  Getting there Friday should let us secure a decent spot.  I'm just getting ready to fire up the BBQ, so I'll get it done after dinner.

43 minutes ago, Wierdrider said:

No other takers, the kugster might even show up Saturday 🍻

Champ is back to a possible maybe now that Saturday night is back to being an option. Might come up on the KTM 950.  I'm in as long as I have a wing-man for Friday. 

On 9/9/2018 at 9:03 AM, Wierdrider said:

If I go David, I’ll find it!

:thumbsup_anim: six pack reward!