simicrintz

Tools, tubes and water

4 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Dickkopf German? I have all tool and parts with me all the time. Yes there is some weight, but I can give fuel to a other bike, with out sucking it from the fuel tank. Thanks to BMW. A full tool set to change a tire, fix a tire, and even to adjust the valves if I need. I will make a list tomorrow after the ride.

Thank you, Udo.  As a small child I spoke passable German (both sets of grandparents spoke it and we were around enough to pick it up); I've forgotten most of it now :(

I spoke to an older gentleman years ago who lived in the Black Forest.  I was helping him with something and he mentioned that he would be back in 6 months to get the part.  I gave him my card and he said "Wettstein?"  I told him that it was Von Wettstein but my great grandparents changed it when they came over here.  He stood very tall and said "it is nice to meet you, Herr Von Wettstein"!  I guess the Von must have meant something (maybe we should have kept it!)! 

On 8/31/2018 at 7:44 PM, simicrintz said:

I was good with all of the items you suggested doing, Bagstr, until you said "With what you are carrying"!  Point well taken (and as a stubborn German I'm painfully slow to ask for help and feel guilty if someone does something I should be able to do.  If I ever get to ride with CiD (or any of you guys) I will not expect much :) ).

I am always willing to lend tools and have given away many tubes on the trail, even rescued Bagstr with a bolt once in Utah. Not to mention my professional bandage job on his arm. It’s always better if everyone has basic tubes, tools and first aid kit on a ride. You never know when circumstances will separate a group and you’re  on your own.

CiD

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

I am always willing to lend tools and have given away many tubes on the trail, even rescued Bagstr with a bolt once in Utah. Not to mention my professional bandage job on his arm. It’s always better if everyone has basic tubes, tools and first aid kit on a ride. You never know when circumstances will separate a group and your on your own.

CiD

No intent to slander your good name or character, CiD!  While there are many here that I look forward to riding with, as a fellow Escondidian I hope to one day ride with you (I have kkug stickers packed, and Ken is another "local" that I look forward to riding with).  I have carried pitifully minimal (or nothing) in the past and understand the need to be better prepared! 

Looking forward to this season and hoping to get a ride (or 4) in with many in this group! 

3 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

No intent to slander your good name or character, CiD!  While there are many here that I look forward to riding with, as a fellow Escondidian I hope to one day ride with you (I have kkug stickers packed, and Ken is another "local" that I look forward to riding with).  I have carried pitifully minimal (or nothing) in the past and understand the need to be better prepared! 

Looking forward to this season and hoping to get a ride (or 4) in with many in this group! 

I was more yanking PMB’s and Bagstr’s chain. I don’t go overboard with tools but I think I carry most of what is needed from time to time. 

Looking forward to riding with you this season.

CiD

We may be having a Tug of War with that chain,,,

There is some kidding around with you regarding help on the trail.  As some of the photos show, there is usually more " help " than you might need out in the wilderness.  The phrase we use is, " No one gets left behind ".   That means at the significant turns and with injury or breakdown.

Weren't those my bandages?  I was prepared,,,,   To Fail!

In my group I usually ride sweep so that I know everyone is okay.  Many years ago I spent some time as a volunteer firefighter and helping is in my nature.  Probably the biggest reason I asked this question and want to be prepared is because of that phrase and by seeing the willingness of the group to help; definitely not a "it's all about me/ look at me" crowd here! 

23 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

definitely not a "it's all about me/ look at me" crowd here! 

Well, except for Bagster.

Always strutting around, demonstrating his riding prowess. 

1 hour ago, simicrintz said:

Missed that; I may be a little bit slow......

Oh!

All the parking lot wheelies, the nak-naks, the blinding, reckless speed and wild abandon with which he executes his rides.

And he sings on the radio!

3 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Bags has always been the man!

58CB8D9F-B65E-4C6C-8FFF-883C84343079.jpeg

And incredibly graceful in a camp chair. 

And as promise, here my tool / part list for the BMW 1150 GS

BMW 1150 GS tool list; Daily on my bike.

Set screw driver, 2 tire iron, tweezers, steel brush, spark detector, vice grip, side cutter, flat plier, flashlight, brass caliper, brass feeler gauge, small knife, Voltage check, Torx inserts, Allen insert with adapter socket, Scissor, open box wrench, ratchet, sockets, Allen wrench, pliers, Loctite, spark plugs, bag with fuses, hose clamps, bale wire and electric tape, 8 quick straps (tire change help) 5 feet electric wire, (safety Inspector), 5 feet fuel hose with Quick connectors,  tire fix kit with 5 CO2 bottles, Air compressor and some additional tube patches with rasp and glue, 911 reader, spare light bulb, spare batteries, First aid stuff, sun lotion, and last and least Toilet paper.

All tools are matched for the BMW use.

DSC02755.JPG

DSC02756.JPG

DSC02757.JPG

DSC02758.JPG

DSC02759.JPG

DSC02760.JPG

DSC02761.JPG

One of my buddies had a fanny pack that only held a pack of cigarettes, a lighter and a tow strap. Said that's all he needed, he could get a tow or have a smoke while waiting to be rescued.

Scared to ride with Bagstr now!

Thank you, Udo; any idea what all that weighs?  Obviously a bit different bike and storage, but I like how complete it is!

B) -      One of the nicest complements made was from a Wild World Traveller, who said he is just about 100% certain he would get back alive when he goes on my rides.   It's a Tour, not a Race.

CID,   My wife wants our photo album back!

Back on topic...Now, who is gun to give this new guy the Tool List Test??

I'm still wondering where to put the parrot...

5 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

I'm still wondering where to put the parrot...

In front on top of my Tankbag.

On 9/2/2018 at 8:05 PM, simicrintz said:

Scared to ride with Bagstr now!

Thank you, Udo; any idea what all that weighs?  Obviously a bit different bike and storage, but I like how complete it is!

OK, the bag is 11#, not included the fuel hose, Spare light bulbs and Toilet paper.  But I took the end muffler off (11#). So I am good. I think on a bike like this it dos not matters. For my TT600 I will have less tools and more special tools.

P1170223 cut.jpg

3 hours ago, Mr.JAJA said:

In front on top of my Tankbag.

I love it! Reminds me of Coco the dog that road B to V desert races with carpet glued to the tank!

Today = Beach day. Chico and the BMW went to the beach and took me to. On the way back we stopped at Cycle gear for a pair of PIT Boots.

Chico BMW ride.jpg

Time Hi-Jack this Thread,,,,

What is the most Incredible repair you have witnessed,, In the Field??  Photos or It Did Not Happen.

I know Crawdaddy has a long list but,  I will start with this -  Looking for the photos. 

Dig Doug dropped a carburetor needle on his 450 out in the silt beds near Split Mountain.  Pulled the seat, rotated the carb, Opened the top o'de carb, pinched the clip, re-installed. Sure as Bob's your uncle, we are moving in 20 minutes!  My memory is vague but I think he did it with a Survival Knife. Takes a Marine!

P1010351_1000w-L.jpg

What Do You Have??

Lost my oil filler cap once. Used a rag and some desert sticks to get me to the Napa store in Borrego Springs. I purchased an adjustable freeze plug- it's a rubber stopper with a nut/stud arrangement that swells the rubber when one tightens the nut.

It was a bit too big, so I whittled it down with my pocket knife first, placed it in the hole, tightened the nut to seal it, and Bob was my uncle for the rest of the day.

Last Year on the freeway in LA, Fix with the Clamp from the Charcoal canister, made it home and did the final fix.

shifter brocke. jpeg.jpeg

DSC00942.thumb.JPG.83276e6c0633c5e415ea1457c0149087.JPG

DSC00946.thumb.JPG.5ad0d216410d2c15f47eaeb87ce7748d.JPG

There's a lot of satisfaction to be had when helping another rider on the trail.

Usually brings good karma and lots of free beer......

On 9/1/2018 at 8:20 AM, Covered in Dust said:

Myself and Vapor and Strega helping in Utah

B002B84F-4167-4714-8CED-F3718A8392D7.jpeg