Bagstr

Digital Handheld Radios

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_35_1023&products_id=2444

"The RDH-16C Radio is capable of both digital & analog signals. If you are transmitting to a second digital radio, you can do so on a digital channel, but if you need to talk to an analog radio, you can simply change over to an analog channel and start your conversation."

Starting to get interested in Digital Radios - Longer range, more clear audio.  According to this description tho,  you must manually switch between analog and digital transmission.   Seems to me I read of a Yaesu that had auto switching.  I'll look into that. 

PMB,  Have we had this conversation previously?  Has the techno changed?

:huh:   Bags

Edit:   $200-$400  prices. Need to wait until they drop and become more ubiquitous.  Have not found an auto switching unit ( digital/analog )

5 hours ago, Bagstr said:

PMB,  Have we had this conversation previously?  Has the techno changed?

:huh:   Bags

Edit:   $200-$400  prices. Need to wait until they drop and become more ubiquitous.  Have not found an auto switching unit ( digital/analog )

Indeed we have, and I own two https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B27KF6F/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $79 digital Baofengs I purchased prior to the season's closing. But I've yet to test them.

Practically speaking, the entire group would need to switch over to the new radios- no radios I've researched are capable of digital/analog on the fly. And they're a bit complicated- you need a guy like PHD Blue to figure it out.

It's my hope to test them this season on rides where there are either only two riders or two that really matter, anyway.

Thank You for confirmation of intell. Wonder If; there is a two radio into one ear speaker cable. Why? To run two radios at once of course! Digital / Analog

The two that Matter? The person who posts the ride And the person who buys the first pitcher.

What Is,,,the temperature @ 0700 in Borrego Springs these days,,,Mark

Bags-tr

Beware of Fakes and Copies on Amazon and many sites. Make sure anything you buy is from a reputable dealer, person, etc.

There are is a lot of merchandise on the internet that may have a brand name but is a "fake or copy".

3 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Beware of Fakes and Copies on Amazon and many sites. Make sure anything you buy is from a reputable dealer, person, etc.

There are is a lot of merchandise on the internet that may have a brand name but is a "fake or copy".

What wintyfresh is referring to is typical rugged radio, take a cheap Asian radio put their stick on, reprogram it if that and 3x the price on their site

52 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

What wintyfresh is referring to is typical rugged radio, take a cheap Asian radio put their stick on, reprogram it if that and 3x the price on their site

I was just making a general statement about cheaper stuff on the internet and to be aware of fakes.

That TYT model is a 10 watt unit. Single band UHF. Rugged is 5 watt but dual band VHF and UHF. Those Baofeng radios have a pretty good track record. The particular one referenced by Paul is also dual band and 5 watts. Lots of choices out there. The Baofeng are generally well supported with software from third parties like CHIRP.

Interested to see the results of testing the digital vs. analog Baofeng