simicrintz

XR650L versus 500 EXC-F

HOLY CRAP!!!!!  What a difference!  I had no idea what this was all about and can't wipe the smile off of my face!  

Took a quick 17 mile ride through some backroad slab and up Cougar Pass (a short little dirt road); unbelievable.  No muscling a bunch of weight around, light and nimble.  I am not even close to worthy of what this bike is capable of (but I intend to grow into it!).  

I can see the need for some different tires (I'll run these for a bit but I don't feel real comfortable with them in the dirt) and already am putting together a list of items I want (birthday is coming up and wife is asking for ideas).  

Gonna need some seat time before I am ready to feel like I can ride in a group, just to get a better feel for a totally different experience, but I can say that I feel like a kid again.  Cannot wait for the first desert run.  HOLY CRAP!!

Congratulations. Just wait until you have it uncorked De smog and suspension dialed in. 

Enjoy. 

Gonna need to get a feel for this newfangled contraption the way it sits first; this is all new to me.  I tend to mess with everything so I am sure I will with this as well, but it will be a while.

Hate to say it, but you were right Brian :)

Thanks again to all of you guys for holding my hand through this.   To say that I am excited is a huge understatement.  Really hope I can do this bike proud.

Simicrintz, many of us know that spectacular feeling  :) of a transition to a new (or new to them) machine... SO Nice!    Congrats.   

And, get some seat time with a group, or even a bud or 2, the newbies watch the oldies, and the oldies watch the newbies - and they all turn to each other with smiles at every rendezvouz along the route.  

The Kugster was lookin for tire take offs if you’re gonna change them soon.

Enjoy brother 👍👍

In 40 years on a bike I have only been on heavy machines, so after all this time to finally sit on and ride something this light is eye opening, MacD.  Most of the guys that I ride with in the desert have been the same ones since we all started so I do have the opportunity to get out with them before I get out with you guys (there is actually a Big Bear trip planned for tomorrow but I will be at the Styx concert and will miss it).  I really do look forward to one of the diverse rides (newbs and vets) as they just sound like a genuine good time.

I saw that post and will see how many miles and how long I use the stock tires, Jim.  Kug is just down the road from me so he will be the first to know when I peel them off!

Thanks guys; looking forward to a really fun season coming up!

Congratulations Bruce! I'm so happy for you. Remember your priorities...Family first, ride second, work third, bathroom breaks as necessary.  See you in Borrego soon! 

Thank you, Mark; and printing priorities and will be taking down to Kinkos to laminate later! 

Looking forward to Borrego!!

Yep.  Nothing nicer than a big ol' tiny 510 cc dirt bike.  Mine is 12 pounds lighter than my old 450 and oodles more powerful and good handling.

100_1409.jpg

simi- congrats...you will LOVE that bike...

As mentioned above...a few mods and you're riding on a "dream machine." Like with any new bike, make sure you go through everything, including the spokes, etc. Sometimes from the factory not everything is as snug as you may want it. When you do change out the stock TC tires, it would be a good idea to put a little anti-seize on the rear wheel adjustment bolts. Water can creep inside and freeze 'em up. Enjoy!

Thanks guys and gals!  A seat is definitely on the list (as is a skid plate and the rear fender cleanup in the near future).  I have my first hour on it and will be heading down to NCY shortly to pick up needed items for the first hour requirements.  I have a little bit of time to kill before the Styx concert tonight in Escondido (anyone else going?) so it is the perfect time for this to get done.  I will check spokes, nuts, bolts, etc. as well, and appreciate the tip on the rear wheel D4L!

Thanks to all for input; while bikes are cool, it is folks like you all that are a huge part in making what we all love to do so enjoyable!

43 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Thanks guys and gals!  A seat is definitely on the list (as is a skid plate and the rear fender cleanup in the near future).  I have my first hour on it and will be heading done to NCY shortly to pick up needed items for the first hour requirements.  I have a little bit of time to kill before the Styx concert tonight in Escondido (anyone else going?) so it is the perfect time for this to get done.  I will check spokes, nuts, bolts, etc. as well, and appreciate the tip on the rear wheel D4L!

Thanks to all for input; while bikes are cool, it is folks like you all that are a huge part in making what we all love to do so enjoyable!

PMB  recommended  to me the company Seat Concepts. I can now recommend them for a very nice comfortable seat. Felt like a whole new bike after installing one; especially at times when I'm getting pooped. 

Thanks, Mark; Seat Concepts was definitely the one I was considering (think I saw their stuff at NCY).  Wondering if they are site supporters or something (seems that Strega was involved/part of them once upon a time?).  I'd like to support them if so!

NCY closed 2 minutes before I got there!  Looks like oil change will push to tomorrow....

9 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

Thanks, Mark; Seat Concepts was definitely the one I was considering (think I saw their stuff at NCY).  Wondering if they are site supporters or something (seems that Strega was involved/part of them once upon a time?).  I'd like to support them if so!

NCY closed 2 minutes before I got there!  Looks like oil change will push to tomorrow....

Yes Bruce, Seat Concepts was a local company, they moved out of Southern California to Idaho due to economic reasons. They were and probably still are supporters of SDAR. I'm not too sure about the particulars.  Seat concepts has a good website that you can check out the different versions of what you may like... I went to a lower seat height on my 450 since I am 5'11". Just seems to fit me better in the inseam. SC has a pretty long lead time, so expect after you make your order, a few weeks for them to create the seat and get it delivered to you. What a bummer that you missed the bike store hours! I took a nice first ride after a 13 week hiatus this morning. Felt like I hadn't missed a day! That was so relieving to me!

44 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Yes Bruce, Seat Concepts was a local company, they moved out of Southern California to Idaho due to economic reasons. They were and probably still are supporters of SDAR. I'm not too sure about the particulars.  Seat concepts has a good website that you can check out the different versions of what you may like... I went to a lower seat height on my 450 since I am 5'11". Just seems to fit me better in the inseam. SC has a pretty long lead time, so expect after you make your order, a few weeks for them to create the seat and get it delivered to you. What a bummer that you missed the bike store hours! I took a nice first ride after a 13 week hiatus this morning. Felt like I hadn't missed a day! That was so relieving to me!

When I was at NCY a week or so ago they seemed to have a few seats in stock (short, medium, tall?) from SC.  If that is the case (I'll have to look again when I go back tomorrow) I may just grab one (I will check their site next though-thank you for the heads up on that!).  You and I are the same height so that info is helpful as well.

So cool that you were able to get back onboard after that broken wing; 13 weeks is a long time to go without your dirt fix!  Congrats on getting back on the horse!

On 9/29/2018 at 7:36 AM, CVRick said:

Awesome . Time to get it dirty.

Missed this one!  Thanks, Rick; so looking forward to it!

On 9/28/2018 at 5:04 PM, Ken S said:

Congratulations. Just wait until you have it uncorked De smog and suspension dialed in. 

Enjoy. 

What Ken S says !!!! ---Congrats on Drinking the Orange Kool Aid 

Looks like a quick Ocotillo run with my son and some buddies is a possibility for this Saturday.  Hoping to get a better feel for it then as it sits, but am looking forward to the mods that both you and KenS have suggested, kug!  I'll be getting back to you with the tires most likely as well if you don't find a set beforehand.

So very true, Robert.  It's funny what we will "tolerate" when we do not know something.  Really feel like I need to jump on the XR soon though; kinda sad seeing it sit there.....