Covered in Dust

Fuel injector KTM 500 2016

I’ve changed the filter in my tank during a tank swap and now I’d like to clean my injector. I’ve looked at a few videos on

Utube but they have the throttle body sitting on a bench and don’t show the removal process. Can you just take the injector 

out without taking the throttle body off the bike? 

I bought the over priced Motion Pro cleaner because I can hopefully use it on my waverunners also.

CiD

On my 17 450xcf u just remove bottom plastic piece where hose goes into its only 2 bolt and the injector comes out, Should be same or similar. My 2011 husaberg same thing 1 bolt holding retaining bracket and injector right out

Hey CID

May not apply to the 2016 500, but on my bike I can remove the shock and get to the injector pretty easily.

There was also a trick I applied to my bike that made removing the injector easier. Originally the injector was held in by 2 Phillips head shoulder screws, and the throttle linkage cover on the throttle body was attached by 2 socket head shoulder screws. These get swapped and it helps with disassembly. May not apply to your bike, but thought I'd let you know in case it does.

Thanks guys, I was hoping nothing had to be removed to get at the injector. I’ll get at it now.

CiD

37 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Thanks guys, I was hoping nothing had to be removed to get at the injector. I’ll get at it now.

CiD

Yeah bummer older bike like my 2011 and new one 2017+ are super easy on bottom of throttle body, weird location on 14-16 bikes

Loosening the boot allows some rotation enabling better access to injector

i-FC5bnZb-M.jpg

Keep the dirt OUT!!

i-w2p8b46-M.jpg

i-6WMkBsC-L.jpg

A Plus feature of the Motion Pro device is that the injector can be reverse flushed

i-JhV7j4w-M.jpg

i-5JHdjKZ-M.jpg

As part of the Enduro Engineering Maintenance Kit - filter, clamps, mini filter, 

you get this device that allows you to fully open the injector on the fly and pump 

fuel to clean somewhat.  One Way flusing.

i-9FNHpWw-L.jpg

I got it for my 17 450 different style but same concept. Heard 100 snake oil things but 4 real world reviews said did something but not crazy. More open terrain noticable 

I didn’t notice a difference on my 18 500. 

What did make a big difference was there big bottom end kit which is a different exhaust manifold flange and the intake tube. 

Very noticeable difference in torque hauling my overweight butt up hills. Rarely do I ever have to down shift. 

Well the fun continues. Pulled half the bike apart to get to the fuel injector. Got it up on the bench and into the

Motion Pro cleaner then when I went to plug in the connector it’s the wrong one and doesn’t fit. Just a little 

frustrating.

Covered in Frown lines 

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

Well the fun continues. Pulled half the bike apart to get to the fuel injector. Got it up on the bench and into the

Motion Pro cleaner then when I went to plug in the connector it’s the wrong one and doesn’t fit. Just a little 

frustrating.

Covered in Frown lines 

What's the fix? Just a new fitting?

2 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

What's the fix? Just a new fitting?

Yes, I guess I ordered the wrong kit off fleebay. So now another $20 at NCY and I’ll have the right connector tomorrow. I was going to try and jerryrig a connector but figured I’d probably screw up something somehow.

Covered in Connectors 

2 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Yes, I guess I ordered the wrong kit off fleebay. So now another $20 at NCY and I’ll have the right connector tomorrow. I was going to try and jerryrig a connector but figured I’d probably screw up something somehow.

Covered in Connectors 

Good idea to just wait for the right connector. When I win the 2019 KTM 300 xc-w TPI giveaway from "Dirtbike Channel" maybe you can help me with the magic of FI.

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone about this giveaway; it might lessen my chances to win! 

On 8/28/2018 at 9:39 AM, Bagstr said:

Loosening the boot allows some rotation enabling better access to injector

i-FC5bnZb-M.jpg

Keep the dirt OUT!!

i-w2p8b46-M.jpg

i-6WMkBsC-L.jpg

A Plus feature of the Motion Pro device is that the injector can be reverse flushed

i-JhV7j4w-M.jpg

i-5JHdjKZ-M.jpg

As part of the Enduro Engineering Maintenance Kit - filter, clamps, mini filter, 

you get this device that allows you to fully open the injector on the fly and pump 

fuel to clean somewhat.  One Way flusing.

i-9FNHpWw-L.jpg

Saw this pretty cool video about cleaning injectors in the field. Thought it was a good idea before I realized how hard the injector is to get at on my bike. I’m just happy I have 5 filters before gas get to the injector on my bike.

That's a great idea. Seems obvious right? But, sometimes in a "situation" we ( me ) overlook the obvious. I was telling my wife about my truck break down in CO. Told her how we had to travel to a spot to get mobile phone coverage to call Chevy roadside assistance. She said why didn't you just use that thing you have in the truck. What thing? That thing you talk to people on.....OH OnStar. Duh, didn't think of that. 

Another way to go with the injectors is to carry a spare. I bought one online for about $80 or $90. I swap them out every so often and send the one just pulled out to these guys for cleaning http://www.proflowtech.com/ They send it back in about 3 or 4 days. Cost about $30. They also send a report on flow, etc. Have done it 2 or 3 times. One time I got a 19% improvement and one other time 9%. I didn't notice a performance difference either time. The guy who owns the company is "melk-man" on KTM Talk.

Now, if my injector goes bad on the trail please remind me I have a nice new clean spare in the back back.