14 minutes ago, isde97 said:

Motorcycle axles and wheel bearings are not designed this way.  Motorcycle wheel bearings are ball bearings, with limited ability to take thrust (they don't need to) and should have no side load on them at all when assembled, regardless of axle torque.  If axle torque is making a difference, you have other problems you need to fix.

Those of you prying the seal off a bearing and adding grease are only getting away with it because motorcycle wheel bearings are a low speed application for bearings designed and developed for high speeds.  The amount and type of lubricant that the bearing comes with is the result of a lot of ruthless testing.  My understanding is too much grease is almost as bad as no grease at all.

If you could keep a motorcycle wheel bearing free of water and dirt, it would live forever.  On dirt bikes, though, the outer seal has a hard life and gets old and hard, it starts wearing grooves into the wheel spacer, and water and dirt start working their way in.  A sealed bearing can hold this off for a while, but not forever.  It eventually goes.

If you have to replace bearings, get good bearings (like SKF) and you should replace the outer seals as well and take a good look at the spacers.  Water and dirt made their way past these two items when they shouldn't, and will again soon if you don't fix it.

Yeah I get the deal with repacking but remember these bearings are designed for electric motor applications that typical operate at 1700 -  3400 rpm in a relatively clean environment. I’ve had very good success with packing them with waterproof grease. I suspect probably not so much due to lubrication properties but rather it’s ability at keeping debris out of the race. Been doing it for many years so I ain’t changing now:)

4 hours ago, amgems said:

When an axle system is designed by very particular Austrian engineers the preload and clamping force are calculated very carefully. I know, I have worked with Austrian engineers. Too much torque and you get too much friction in the system, not enough and there not is not enough stiffness in the axle system. Too much friction you get heat, wear, bearing failure. Not enough stiffness you get play and damaged bearings and races, or the bearing housings (hubs) get damaged. Those bearings and that whole axle system take one hell of a beating.

Why not just use a torque wrench? They are cheap, easy to use and take one possible reason for failure out of the equation. 

My 2007 450 EXC had something like 13,000 miles on it when I sold it. Original wheel bearings. Torqued to spec every time. They were fine.

I don't understand why anyone would risk a failure by not using a torque wrench on such an important part of the motorcycle.

I figure if I have the opportunity to do the job correctly, I will. I will not question, second guess, or dismiss the Austrian engineers recommendations. Klaus and Hans vill not be disobeyed!!!

Bagstr, can I borrow your label maker?

You sold your 2007 KTM 450 EXC? Unforgivable! 

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

Yeah I get the deal with repacking but remember these bearings are designed for electric motor applications that typical operate at 1700 -  3400 rpm in a relatively clean environment. I’ve had very good success with packing them with waterproof grease. I suspect probably not so much due to lubrication properties but rather it’s ability at keeping debris out of the race. Been doing it for many years so I ain’t changing now:)

Yep!

Just now, SoCalMule said:

You sold your 2007 KTM 450 EXC? Unforgivable! 

An Australian told him to do so, and he does and they tell him!

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I'm so sorry for his loss...

The Artesians must be obeyed. Or zere vill be conseqvences!

5 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Austrian

Tough Room,  anyone cam make a mistak

:coolio:

1 minute ago, Bagstr said:

Tough Room,  anyone cam make a mistak

:coolio:

Lol, just getting back at Paul for my geography comment.

I assumed everyone recognized my geographic humor. 

But alas...

Pulled the bearings this morning. They seem perfect. I was almost tempted to just put them back in, but I put in the new ones and will keep the old ones for my riding buddies who haven’t replaced theirs yet on our trip.

Covered in Bearings

Just now, Covered in Dust said:

Pulled the bearings this morning. They seem perfect. I was almost tempted to just put them back in, but I put in the new ones and will keep the old ones for my riding buddies who haven’t replaced theirs yet on our trip.

Covered in Bearings

Repack your old ones with some awesome waterproof grease! My two centavos 

The trauma put on the old ones when removing means I'd rather carry a new spare- cheap on eBay.

26 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

The trauma put on the old ones when removing means I'd rather carry a new spare- cheap on eBay.

Don't forget to grease the OD prior to installation. Should not be a traumatizing experience for the bearing being removed later. 

3 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I assumed everyone recognized my geographic humor. 

But alas...

I got it Paul....and I personally thought my Artesian comment was over the top hilarious, but it was missed too.

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I sort of agree, but these came out fairly easy and they feel great. Again I’m carrying them for others as I have new in my bike.

CiD