amgems

So, It Wasn't a Complete Bust

Was all signed up for Colorado 2 day dual sport ride. Super exited to ride Colorado. It was a long ass drive towing the trailer. The plan was to camp out at the fairgrounds in Salida, CO. I met my buddy Brian at Black Canyon of the Gunnison River Natl Park. Awesome place. Backing the trailer into the camp site.....ding, ding, ding, ding WARNING, WARNING, WARNING !!!!!.....ZERO OIL PRESSURE SHUT OFF ENGINE. Oh great. Truck is now dead. Truck gets towed to the worlds smallest Chevy dealer in Montrose CO. 100 miles away from the dual sport ride. There are no trucks for rent in Montrose except for 1 Uhaul 1/2 ton pick up for 1 day only. It has a tiny hitch. I need a big hitch. After a few "modifications" to the little pick up the trailer gets moved to RV park. No Brakes. No lights. My buddy Brian (his name is Ranger on this forum) was a huge help hauling my broke down ass all over Montrose. So, now I'm in the RV park. No truck. Turns out it has a bad oil pump. Maybe done by Monday or Tuesday. So...I go online (free wi-fi at RV park). Thank you gpsxchange.com Turns out there are tons of tracks for areas just west of Montrose. Did about 80 miles today. Lots of really nice single track. It was almost better to ride this stuff solo then to ride some guys prescribed tracks. Here are some pics. May do some more single track tomorrow or may just hang out in the 2 Rascals Brewery....

20180816_085527.jpg

20180816_173737.jpg

20180817_082603.jpg

DSCF0287.JPG

DSCF0283.JPG

DSCF0289.JPG

20180818_164759.jpg

What a bummer about truck but hopefully all turns out ok, looks like good riding

You’re putting the “adventure “ into adventure riding!  

Went out again today. I'm almost happy the POS truck broke down. There is sooo much out here.This is the name of the area I've been riding Uncompahgre National Forest. One of the coolest of the single track trails is called The Whole Unchilada :D. There was a lot of stuff I didn't want to try by myself. My luck lately has been on the crappy side. Don't temp fate.  Some of the trails are nice loamy damp dirt. And some are very technical with lots of rocks and roots. The rocks and the roots are unlike anything I've ever encountered. I think my suspension is too stiff for this type of trail. They call 'em the Rocky Mountains for good reason. A few more pics:

DSCF0292.JPG

DSCF0295.JPG

Not sure when you are leaving Colorado, but I have 2 tickets to see Nathaniel Rateliff  and the Night Sweats at the Red Rock Ampitheater on Weds night. Red Rocks is in Morrison, about 4 hours from Montrose but should be a great concert in a great venue.  I had planned to have my wife and daughter in-law fly up and all of us go to the concert after the ride.  I sold a couple of tickets but have 2 left. Yours if you want to use them. 

25 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Tell us about the Bar

Nice little brewery. 2 Rascals Brewery. It's an old packing house built in 1900. I feel it is now a more appropriate use for this building. The Irish Red and the Wheat were very good.

25 minutes ago, dstss said:

Not sure when you are leaving Colorado, but I have 2 tickets to see Nathaniel Rateliff  and the Night Sweats at the Red Rock Ampitheater on Weds night. Red Rocks is in Morrison, about 4 hours from Montrose but should be a great concert in a great venue.  I had planned to have my wife and daughter in-law fly up and all of us go to the concert after the ride.  I sold a couple of tickets but have 2 left. Yours if you want to use them. 

Thanks for the offer Dave. But, I hope to leaving for home by Tuesday. Great band.

No riding today. Ya know,  I expected spectacular scenery, mountains, vistas, big ass deer, etc. Really not much of that, except for the beautiful forests where I was riding.  I went for a hike today to seek out spectacular stuff. Not happening 'round here. The pictures on the Coors cans are misleading. Part of the problem could be the smoke or maybe, that's just what you get here in Montrose. The riding is very good. I think I'll come back. Truck is supposed too be done tomorrow. Good thing I don't have a job. 

Ha. The Coors can mountain is Wilson peak just South of Telluride. 

I've been to Montrose a few dozen times but never with a bike. Lots of riding temptation there. Someday I'll get back with a bike. Thanks for sharing the photos. Bummer about the truck?

15 hours ago, amgems said:

No riding today. Ya know,  I expected spectacular scenery, mountains, vistas, big ass deer, etc. Really not much of that, except for the beautiful forests where I was riding.  I went for a hike today to seek out spectacular stuff. Not happening 'round here. The pictures on the Coors cans are misleading. Part of the problem could be the smoke or maybe, that's just what you get here in Montrose. The riding is very good. I think I'll come back. Truck is supposed too be done tomorrow. Good thing I don't have a job. 

Looks like you made some good Lemonade buddy!   I rode all over that area when I flew to Denver and bought the 620/rode it back......same as you......no real plan.........just twist the throttle and get lost for a while.......sometimes that IS the best plan.......retired life........nice........bast*rd ;):P

Dang Amgems, sorry to hear of the plan shift.  I had considered going out that way to join you and could have helped you out. I hesitated all dang summer given the fires and smoke in the area. Heck, even if I had read the post earlier  as I know some riders in Montrose.  I also would have suggested to zip down to Telluride where you can take the BDR CO over incredible passes all the way to Gunnison, and then ride the black Canyon back to Montrose. And, there is supposed to be a good loop out further west than the Uncompahgre National Forest towards Utah. And, the dang Marble, crystal, crested Butte loop I have yet to do. Next year, maybe you can ride some of it with me and my buds.  You did great getting some rides in given the challenge.  Well done. 

Just caught your post Jim...tough luck w/ the Chevy but, "Shizz Happens" and it looks and sounds like you made the best of it! 👍