Tried the search and didn't see anything; if this has been beaten to death already please let me know and I will try and do a better search!

What causes tires to cup?  I have D606's front and rear currently and the front seems to cup (it sits prouder on the front than the back).  On this set of tires it has been on the road probably 85% of the time.  I am going to guess that I have about 1700 miles on them (is that good or bad?) and I'd like to replace them.  Just would rather see better mileage out of the new set or at least avoid what I am seeing now if it can be avoided.

Thanks all.  

I gave up on a more dirt tire than dot 50/50 and ride more dirt Bruce, Shame on you

If u ride street a lot, knobbies will cup, especially on the front.

It's that simple.

I'm working on it, Brian!  Already gearing up for the change of seasons and anticipating that pool work will slow down and hoping to take advantage of that (assuming that the $$$ flow doesn't slow too much!).  This is the first year on my own after buying out my partner so not sure what will happen or exactly how it will all play out but I am looking forward to some bike time that I was not able to have prior.

The problem is that I almost feel like I am getting away with something by riding the bike on the street.  While it obviously is not as dirt bike like as the KTM's for example, it still seems like it doesn't belong on the road (legally).  Thanks for the input, Randy; I suspected that but wanted to make sure that it wasn't something else that I was doing wrong and could avoid.

Thanks guys.  August resolution (don't want to wait until New Years) is to make sure I get more dirt time!

Make sure it’s properly aired up for the street, and less front braking on the street might help to reduce cupping 

You know my 606's did that too, went with a different brand and balanced them. It seemed to make a big difference. Once it starts cupping though it just gets worse, are you losing the outside knobs on the rear yet?

Cupping is caused by the impact of the knob with the road surface. Higher air pressure will effect the wear but nothing you can do to prevent it.

Braking is 70% front, 25% rear and 5% engine. If you're doing more of less of any you're not riding to the potential of your bike and when you need maximum performance you won't know where the limit is.

I play around with braking a lot on the street it seems.  Use the front way more than the rear (and usually cram on it coming up to a stop sign and dive the nose).  Since I am actually out having fun I don't try to ride "normal" and will play with braking a bit.  Besides it's boring to stop slowly and gracefully!

The rear is actually wearing pretty even.  All in all I am not too disappointed with the 606's (first set I've run) but have definitely been noticing the wear and know I need new shoes soon so am paying more attention as well as looking for this kind of input (may have to change my ways) to prolong the tire life.  I've never really checked tire pressure and just tend to push down with my thumbs to gauge pressure.  Rock hard is no good for me, and I don't like too much sponge either, so I try for a little give. 

Are you guys actually using some type of tool to always set pressure or just going by the tire pressure gauge on whatever you use to air up?  Truth is I don't trust gas station gauges and I'm not so sure I trust the ones on my air compressors either!

Appreciate all of the input; thank you!

See your Snap-On guy for a good low pressure gauge 2 to 4 pounds off in a tire can make a difference.

If you’re not using a tire pressure gauge then you’re probably not gonna be able to minimize the cupping. 

When I get lazy and leave my tires air down 6 to 8 pounds below manufacture recommendation, the cupping and overall where increases dramatically. When I’m heavy on the front brake pretending I’m still on a sport bike cupping increases dramatically again. This is minimal on a road tire but fairly drastic on a 50-50 adventure tire. Keep in mind I’m on a 600 pound pig 

If you’re having fun don’t worry about it. The minute you start changing your riding  style to try to squeak another 10 or 20% out of tire life you begin to defeat the very reason you ride to begin with. Tires cost money, tires are disposable, wear them out and buy more. 

Just one or two days in the desert on sand and rocks will beat the tar out of my rear tire because I love to roost. I’m not gonna stop roosting just to make the rubber last  longer. Remember, safety third. Have fun.

More good info; thank you!!!

Us pool guys don't have too many Snap-On guys stopping by the backyard, UC!  The cool thing is that if I did pick one up from one of those guys I could finally say I own a Snap-On tool!

I like the attitude, Kelly.  I like the saying "fun is the best thing to have" so will probably keep the riding style and just suck it up.  When I do get to get into the dirt I will admit to enjoying roosting as well!

Do you use this gauge, Paul?  The reviews look good so would be worth the gamble if not.  I appreciate the warning on pressure as well, since I could see slapping this on an over-pressurized tire and bending the needle.

Getting pretty excited about my prospects of actually being able to get out and ride with some of you guys and want my bike ready.  Info like this is much appreciated!

Yes, it's my gauge of choice. And my second.

Did I mention not to over-pressurize it?

Works a treat- I inflate to about 15, then push the gauge on firmly- there's a little bleeder button on the side one can press until the desired pressure is reached- and you're done.

I’m usually happy if I get get 6 weeks out of a tire. 

Yes I like to spin tires. Slide into corners with the rear brake locked. Do wheelies. Wish I could do stoppeies (still trying)

The faster I wear out a tire the happier I am  

Means I’m out having fun and riding a lot  

Thanks Paul; looks like another site visit to Amazon is in the cards.  I do like that bleeder button function.

Pissed me off watching Travis do stoppies after the Vegas jumps!  The guy has a short approach and a short landing area and uses the landing area to do stoppies (when I would have been careening off the back wall.  Alright-who am I kidding??  I would have wussed out before I got halfway up the ramp!).  Guess I just need to embrace the fun factor and not worry about how fast I'm going through tires.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:17 PM, Ken S said:

Yes I like to spin tires. Slide into corners with the rear brake locked. Do wheelies. Wish I could do stoppeies (still trying)

The faster I wear out a tire the happier I am  

Means I’m out having fun and riding a lot  

+1

On 8/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, Zubb said:

If you’re having fun don’t worry about it. The minute you start changing your riding  style to try to squeak another 10 or 20% out of tire life you begin to defeat the very reason you ride to begin with. Tires cost money, tires are disposable, wear them out and buy more. 

Just one or two days in the desert on sand and rocks will beat the tar out of my rear tire because I love to roost. I’m not gonna stop roosting just to make the rubber last  longer. Remember, safety third. Have fun.

+1

20 hours ago, Riggerdan said:

+1

+1

Plus One!