Rexx Riot

Dirt isn't Street: Helmet Questions

Hey guys,

New dirt convert. I have enjoyed my Shark road helmet for some time but with the addition of a DS bike I want to get a new lid more appropriate to off road and adventure riding. However, I'm at a bit of a loss honestly. I've never ridden off road before and I don't know quite what to expect. I had some general questions...

The typical "Adv" helmet or "Dual Sport" helmet seems like a no-brainer. Visor, peak, well vented (compared to straight street lid) and some accommodate goggles yes? Prolonged touring at highway speed I have plain concerns about the peak in the breeze (seems several have an option to easily remove the peak) but otherwise, these seem to be the 'best choice' for just about any kind of riding.

But then I wonder about a pure dirt helmet with goggles. If I intend to ride my street bike wearing a street helmet and my Dual Sport with a dirt only helmet how am I limiting myself? In the event I look for a prolonged adventure am I going to miss a visor on my helmet (probably)? Is it just me or does a Dual Sport style helmet seem like a better option in dirt anyway as I figured so much dirt and dust are gonna be getting into my mouth/lungs etc with only goggles to keep my eyes working right? Only thing you give up on a DS helmet is some breathing/venting? But then....you can just open the visor and voila?

Is Rexx Riot overthinking stuff again?! Just unsure of which direction to go...the Shark lid is old and a decent Dual Sport helmet can work great on both bikes in theory but with no real experience in the dirt I'm not sure if I'm missing some big piece of the puzzle?

Any inputs on *cheap* dual sport helmets (ie - "stay away from...." or "check out...."? I stuck my melon into some offerings from LS2, Bell, Scorpion, Oneal and found 'em all seemingly perfectly adequate....didn't bother trying the Shoei or Arai cuz I like real food, not top ramen haha).

Find one that fits good with as much ventilation as possible that’s in your budget  

Get good goggles - 100 percent are good for the money. 

Dont over think it. 

I had an AFX-39 which was sufficient. I think their newest is the AFX-41 and you can find the 39 on clearance. I like the larger visor of a DS helmet and there's usually room to put on a pair of goggles if it's a dusty ride. If it's not too dusty, I don't - since goggles limit the view a bit.

My Scorpion dirt helmet fits well, so I'd be looking at the Scorpion Modular for DS use if in the market.

That said, I renewed my Shoei head with a new street helmet and added a Hornet to the bill while there.

Do what Ken S said. I've already overthought it for you.

Dualsport helmets are worthless in my opinion. Too hot and not enough airflow for off-road use and terrible aerodynamics for extended street riding at highway speeds. Sure most of them allow you to remove the visor to increase high speed comfort on the interstate and/or remove the visor to allow the use of googles but who really wants to be that guy who has to stop on the side of the trail/road to fiddle around with his helmet while the group waits. Unless you’re planning on doing a substantial larger amount of street miles than dirt miles just get a dirt helmet and deal with the slight discomforts of using a dirt helmet on the street (like increased wind noise which can be remedied by bringing some ear plugs). You really can’t have the best of both worlds so you’re better off having at least the best of one.

I like a dual sport helmet even for when I ride my street bike.  The latest ones don't wobble or lift in the air stream at highway speeds, and the visor is is the greatest for when you are riding home into the sun....so I don't like street helmets for anything.  I still like the DS helmet for rides that will have a large amount of pavement and groomed dirt.  The face shield doesn't let bees and other insects and debris into the face port, and can be flipped up for low speed trail work.  Most of my dual sport riding has a large amount of dirt riding compared to pavement, so I spend most of my time in a dirt helmet for those rides.

I agree with what others have mentioned already; buy a dirt helmet with good ventilation, DOT rated, and a good pair of goggles that cover the nose a bit. If you are going to ride your DRZ mostly on the road... than rethink this recommendation. :)

I use an Arai XD4 for almost everything. Decent all purpose helmet. I have a dirt bike helmet too but usually reach for the Arai when any type of road work is involved.

So the majority seems to weigh in for a dirt helmet with goggles (my wife think that is cooler anyway so that's a factor too in my reality haha). I dig it. I just assume that the increased ventilation makes up for increased stuff in the face and arguably limited peripheral vision. I mean yeah especially right now it is hot. I did what I'm sure amounts to an infant's trail on Saturday and would have rather had NO helmet on as opposed to making scalp soup in my shark with the visor open the whole time and sunshade down.

At a glance dirt helmets all seem more or less the same. I guess it is a matter of shell shape, ventilation, and materials used. Any hard and fast "these lids suck even on a budget" that i should know about or should I just go weapons free on whatever fits best for my cash? 

Goggles: I don't wear glasses. Anything specific I should look out for; pros or cons? 

Klim helmet or Arai, get good goggles, oakleys etc, KLim helmet super lite, Arai awesome, Optics way important, think bright sun to shade and back again. Better optics less crashes.

Arai XD4.

All the time.

I wear prescription Oakleys underneath because I'm old (and slow, BTW) and can't see without my progressive eyewear. I tip up the visor often for a TON of ventilation, then tip it back down when I'm inevitably passed by older riders.

whatever helmet you choose but always wear ear plugs.

Just now, robertaccio said:

whatever helmet you choose but always wear ear plugs.

Huh?

Just now, paulmbowers said:

Huh?

YOU NEED TO POST IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I DONT WEAR HEARING PROTECTION. 

Paul, what?  I can't hear what you're saying.  helmet choice is in the 1000s.....so I just wanted to add that wearing ear plugs is always a good thing.

Thanks for the inputs team! Gonna slap some more lids on and take it from there....boots, knees, and armor next....

Love my Klim Helmet. F4 if I remember correctly. 

30 vents or something like that. Bought it on clearance for around $250 a few years back. 

Stay away from bargain bin goggles. Been using 100 percent for years. 

Recently bought high end Oakley but not sure if the $200 initially and $75 for new lenses is worth the difference in optics. 

DItto on what fits best, then what has the best ventilation and of course all within budget.

As for some gooogley eye protection, same a s above.

Ears plugs (the foam kind) are a definite for me. Every once in a harvest moon I forget to put them in. When that happens, the ride stops immediately, because the decibels are TOO LOUD for my listening holes, be it from motor, tailpipe or wind.

Like a few other riders, I use a mouth guard as well. Got it free, molded to me, one from my dentist. You wouldn't know you would need one until you bit through your face and/or tongue from getting bumped off the bronco. Not to be confused with a night guard (those cost some serious cash) and have a different purpose. 

Flipping the visor up works great if you’re on a solo ride or leading a group but if you ever plan on riding with a group and you’re not on point you’re going to have to deal with dust at some point and you’ll wish you were wearing googles. 

I second the 100%’s. Swapped to those a few years back and have been lovin’ them ever since. 

I went thru the same evolution a couple years ago.

Klim Krios fit me extremely well.  Was on my way to buy one when a NEXX got in my way for about $400 or so.

Pro - Nexx is light weight, but well built and to me 'belongs' in the $4-500$ category.

VERY good airflow!  

Moderate priced

super adjustable fit.

integrated Sena com if you buy up to it.  I did.

Is extremely comfortable in 100 degree heat on my GSA at GSA offroad speeds (2nd gear and higher).

NO 'kite effect' at plus100 speeds on the highway behind my stock windshield.  Even when I turn my head at speed.

Other long distance ADV riders tell me its the best helmet they've had as well.

Con - service from NEXX is non existent.  good luck if you have questions or problems.

The com Sena built for them is crap.  Worst product in their lineup simply because half the time it just doesn't work.  Sena will not support it.  Nexx is supposed to.  See comments above.

The liner will have a shorter life span than my Shoei's.  But it's also $200 cheaper.

----------

If I were riding skinny bikes, I'd get a full on cheap MX helmet.  For sure.

Since I ride a fat pig, NEXX is a perfect compromise really.  It handles my waterfalls of sweat quite well.  The Shoei . . . not so much.  In fact not at all.  I will NOT take the SHOEI on dusty off road rides.  All it does is make sweat- mud inside my lid.

My next helmet, you ask?

It will be Klim Krios.  I'll pay the price and give it a whirl.  I ride 350 days a year so I try not to let price dictate what I buy (too much).  It all amortizes out over the life of the product.

--------------

PROTIP #1:

Based on a presentation I sat through with one of the top helmet importers in the country . . . . I would definitely go try on the HJC ADV helmet.  It's cheap (in the $2's?) and is built to the high end specs for safety.  Might be one of the smartest ADV helmet values right now ........... IF IT FITS YOUR MELON PROPERLY.  I think this is the one I'm referring to...... http://www.hjchelmets.com/hjca/portfolio-item/ds-x1-awing/

Come to think of it, I had a HJC lid for road riding a while back.  Couldn't find a single thing to knock it.

PROTIP #2:

Go to a helmet fitter.  Do not try this at home.  See a professional.

I have a full dirt Scorpion - Size L ( 7 3/8 - 7 1/2 ) with Spy goggles if ya want it.

Haven't worn it in 3 years, just sits on the shelf in a helmet bag.

If it doesn't work for ya, pass it to someone here in the Free section.

Or, sell it on CL and haunt you like the dog you are/will be.  :)

Located in Rancho SD/El Cajon/Jamul - the ID crisis section of E County.

Pretty cool what TrophyHunter is offering to you! 

Below is a nice trail riding helmet that I use out in the desert. Good weight, good air-flow, good DOT rating, good closeout price that I didn't get when I purchased it. I even tried it out in a crash and my noggin didn't even know it happened:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/713/56326/Fly-Racing-Kinetic-Full-Speed-Helmet-

My personal favorite. Klim F4. Most ventilated helmet I could find. 

Found some for approx $200 online  

At KLIM, we know that riding comfortably is your highest priority. That's why we designed the KLIM F4 Helmet to be the most comfortable helmet in motorsports. Massive ventilation channels and intake and exhaust ports keep your head drier no matter the conditions. And the feature list of included accessories will blow you away. How about an included WINDSTOPPER liner for the coldest of days so you can keep your head dry without getting cold? Yeah, it's got that. And there's plenty more inside.

9B9FE1AF-6FEE-42DE-B798-3B6DB9E131F2.jpeg

0BF47078-34DF-4FC3-8863-7FFD7ABDE3CB.jpeg

D92B4C3D-2807-415C-8F59-F42FA2B62392.jpeg

Wow @TrophyHunter lovely offer. You available tomorrow (Thursday 8/2)? I can swing that way after work and give it a test-fit (i wear a 7 3/8 baseball cap and a L in my Shark street helmet though it is a bit loose for my liking these days....had it a good 4 years now though) before I swing north. I have to rush home now to get the wheels off my SV so I can get some fresh rubber mounted before the weekend. Get you a sixpack of your favorite poison whether I take it home or not, just let me know your flavor (or wine! I'm a wine guy most of the time myself anyway but whatever you like. lovely offer thanks for the generosity!).

That Klim lid is highly recommended elsewhere too. Noted. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Leaning heavily towards a dirt specific helmet as I got the DRZ to ride 90% dirt anyway so I mean, yeah. When I replace my Shark I'll likely go ADV helmet so I can try one out and see how I like it for commutes and touring etc.