SoCalMule

Healing Well

A month ago was out riding in Corral Canyon with my friends PMB and Rigger Dan. Wonderful ride, even after high-siding down the granite rock at the top and breaking my clavicle. Road out back to Pine Valley; a little painful though. All is healing great, getting much of my range of motion back. Big thanks again to my two riding brothers! Will be back out in mid September. 

Sorry for the NSFW nipple shot...

P7093434.JPG

P7093435.JPG

P7093436.JPG

P7093437.JPG

Ouch, Yea, maybe a little too much info there :blink:.  Hope it all heals well and quickly.

Been there, done that; remember the pain; glad to hear that you are healing up well!!!

3 hours ago, Van said:

Ouch, Yea, maybe a little too much info there :blink:.  Hope it all heals well and quickly.

Thanks Van, sure looking forward to our next ride! 

2 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Been there, done that; remember the pain; glad to hear that you are healing up well!!!

Thanks Bruce, guess we are brothers in arms. We need to get you and that XR of yours out here when it cools off!

17 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Thanks Bruce, guess we are brothers in arms. We need to get you and that XR of yours out here when it cools off!

I will look forward to that, Mark!  Since we have a little bit of "history",  I have bought out my business partner and left him with the online business.  This has put me back in the area that I first started with our company and should free me up a bit.  Point being that I may actually be able to do some of the stuff I love again, and getting out to ride with you (and some of the others) may actually become a reality!

Heal well my friend!!

29 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I will look forward to that, Mark!  Since we have a little bit of "history",  I have bought out my business partner and left him with the online business.  This has put me back in the area that I first started with our company and should free me up a bit.  Point being that I may actually be able to do some of the stuff I love again, and getting out to ride with you (and some of the others) may actually become a reality!

Heal well my friend!!

Thats really good news Bruce! What a nice reset for you and your family! Happy for you.

So Mark,

How do they go about setting a broken clavicle?   Do they grab your elbow and rotate until the pain stops?  Personally, I would have let the bike roll down the rock face.  Catching a bike is always a bad decision. 

The Fall will be here soon and we can take up our sandy ways once more. 

Dave

When I broke mine they sat me on the table at the hospital and put the shoulder "brace" on me and pulled back on my shoulders until I was straight again (this was in Brawley after I wrecked in Glamis).  Once they thought I was straight they attached the velcro on the brace to keep me in place and gave me an arm sling to support my arm.  My break was not clean (it broke kind of long wise in an overlapping kind of way) so Mark's break may have been treated different.

37 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

So Mark,

How do they go about setting a broken clavicle?   Do they grab your elbow and rotate until the pain stops?  Personally, I would have let the bike roll down the rock face.  Catching a bike is always a bad decision. 

Dave

Having witnessed the incident, I can tell you with some certainty he had no opportunity to catch the bike. In fact, it appears the bike was determined (and was successful) at catching HIM.

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

So Mark,

Dave

Hi Dave, my clavicle was completely fractured with bone fragments at each side of the break. There is no reduction protocol for a complete clavicle fracture other than surgery. A dislocation is the only time a reduction is warranted. The ER Doc gave the option for surgery, and we as a team decided to let it heal naturally. I used only a sling for about ten days. I started rehabilitation at two weeks.

The situation at the time of the fall was very strange. I'm on an off-camber granite surface with a hell of a lot of traction, turning the bike to the upward trek to return back towards the top of the rock. As I was basically at a standstill balancing the bike, I added throttle and noted the bike was not moving, it actually felt like I was riding the rear break. I lifted my right toe and it was "not" on the break. With added throttle, it slightly "righted" the bike's attitude, and I simply went over toward the down side of the off camber; with no idea on my part to catch the bike...it was just too dammed quick, I was in for the ride and landed on my arm tucked into my chest, which transmitted all of the force into my chest and shoulder area. The bike was on top of me for the 12-14 foot transit to the bottom, where a Manzanita bush stopped further progression. Rigger Dan within seconds was at my side lifting the full weight of the bike off of me. With the wind very slowly coming back to my lungs, I was feeling a bit better, but knew something was wrong beyond the normal "awe crap" kind of layovers that we all experience from time to time.

Mark

Darn,  I knew it was Rigger's fault!  That guy, where is he when you need him?  He is the kind of guy who leaves the county when things get tough.

:lol:

I want to try that on my GSA!  Come on Dan, let's go!

As a ski patroller and Mtn bike race "medic" (very loosely interpreted) - we rarely saw clavicles get repaired.  

I had an old mtn bike racer friend who would freak people out when he took his T shirt off cause his clavicle healed sticking about 2 inches high on one end.  It was disturbing to view.

Thanks for sharing Muley.  But please spare us the gratuitous nipple shot next time.  :wacko:

Being the recipient of 6 broken clavicles I know they suck.

Heal quickly. My solution has been to quit crashing. 

Also Red light and Infared light combo therapy helps to heal quickly. Something my Chiropractor turned me on to. 

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Perhaps a diagram or two will help.

untitled- 2.jpg

untitled-07290xy.jpg

Reminds me of the song Alice's Restaurant (8X10 glossy pictures with circles and arrows depicting the litter).

13 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Being the recipient of 6 broken clavicles I know they suck.

Heal quickly. My solution has been to quit crashing. 

Also Red light and Infared light combo therapy helps to heal quickly. Something my Chiropractor turned me on to. 

Thanks Ken, I really like your solution! I did do about four times in a IR sauna and swore that I could feel the healing between sessions; now I have some conformation! 

2 hours ago, Zubb said:

I want to try that on my GSA!  Come on Dan, let's go!

As a ski patroller and Mtn bike race "medic" (very loosely interpreted) - we rarely saw clavicles get repaired.  

I had an old mtn bike racer friend who would freak people out when he took his T shirt off cause his clavicle healed sticking about 2 inches high on one end.  It was disturbing to view.

Thanks for sharing Muley.  But please spare us the gratuitous nipple shot next time.  :wacko:

Hi Zubb, yep, I have a high altitude peak at the shoulder...

32 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Reminds me of the song Alice's Restaurant (8X10 glossy pictures with circles and arrows depicting the litter).

Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the
twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog. 

13 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the
twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog. 

I figured that you would know this Paul! I love your "ability to sing" over the radio on our rides! Your singing....well....

2 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

I figured that you would know this Paul! I love your "ability to sing" over the radio on our rides! Your singing....well....

Really? I always tell him his radio is broken:) Paul told me your story a few weeks ago. Glad to hear you are mending up well.

7 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Really? I always tell him his radio is broken:) Paul told me your story a few weeks ago. Glad to hear you are mending up well.

Thanks PbdBlue! Paul's singing is like having Pandora playing in the helmet :unsure:

5 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Thanks PbdBlue! Paul's singing is like having Pandora playing in the helmet :unsure:

But only the good songs. 

35 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

Ummm.....no!