Covered in Dust

What bike to buy?

I got a call from a friend today asking about what bike to buy. He has a 525 now that he loves but now that he and his wife are empty nesters his wife says she’d love to go on rides and camp out with him. He is looking at a used BMW 800 at a dealer. I don’t know a lot about them except what Kug has said about his old one so I really didn’t have much to say about them. I did tell him that KTM has a 790 Adventure coming out soon but I don’t know when or much about it either. I said if I was going to buy today i’d get a Honda African Twinn. 

He wants to be able to ride fire roads 2 up and his wife to be comfortable on the back on long rides. 

Suggestions, comments...

bikes that fit the category for sale

CiD

So much will depend on size, strength, skill level, riding type (i.e. 80/20 road / dirt) etc. Generally speaking, I'd personally not even consider an 800 GS for two up riding (or the soon to be 790 either). The bike is just not substantial enough, IMO. If I was going take my wife on a two up adventure, with a desire to lay down some miles, hit some dirt here and there, pack the bike with camping gear etc, I'd seriously consider the Yamaha Tenere or a KTM 1090R or 1190R. AT would be 3rd or 4th IMO. And a 1200 GS would not even be on my radar...top heavy and underpowered.

07 950 super enduro I got one up for sale with passenger pegs. Best bike for anything you should know

5 hours ago, Oracle said:

So much will depend on size, strength, skill level, riding type (i.e. 80/20 road / dirt) etc. Generally speaking, I'd personally not even consider an 800 GS for two up riding (or the soon to be 790 either). The bike is just not substantial enough, IMO. If I was going take my wife on a two up adventure, with a desire to lay down some miles, hit some dirt here and there, pack the bike with camping gear etc, I'd seriously consider the Yamaha Tenere or a KTM 1090R or 1190R. AT would be 3rd or 4th IMO. And a 1200 GS would not even be on my radar...top heavy and underpowered.

You are right! I owned the 800 GSA,  It is not a two up bike at all.  Plus to make my bike worthy I had to dump $$$ in the suspension to make it work right off roading with a load.

There's a reason you see 1200 GS /GSA's everywhere.  Just sayin'

Much like a road report without a photo,  a question without a budget leaves me discouraged. 

:mellow:

18-honda-gold-wing_action_image_28.jpg?i

OR

Honda-CB500X-2018-1.jpg

7 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Much like a road report without a photo,  a question without a budget leaves me discouraged. 

:mellow:

18-honda-gold-wing_action_image_28.jpg?i

OR

Honda-CB500X-2018-1.jpg

That gold wing looks awesome.  

23 hours ago, Wintyfresh said:

The ubiquity of Starbucks? ;)

Stop using them fancy werds.  

Like a horse drawn to water, mine  begs to stop at microbrewerys and remote campsites.