HacksawPete

Motoventures July 20 level 3

I'm switch over to a 2011 KTM 300 XC from my 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F, in an effort to be faster in the last two Hare and Hound races this year.   If I can ride just a bit faster, I could win the series (novice over 50).  I'm taking the level 3 class at Motoventures on july 20.  If anybody wants to join that would be fun.    

The Motoventures class was interesting, and probably did me some good.    We did drills on maximum controlled braking, brake slides, power slides, some wheelie work and some jumping.   There was only two other guys in the class and they were not at my level so he had us doing some different things.   It would be way better to go with a group where everyone was at about the same riding ability.   Gary LePlante was the instructor and I think he did a pretty good job of describing how and why I needed to do a few things differently.   One of my main issues is not having my weight far enough forward in turns.    I've been told that before but Gary watched my work and commented right then allowing me to get things in better form.    Now I need to practice these things so they go from the cognitive stage towards the automatic stage.

So today I was out at Corral Canyon doing some practice and some testing on my new (2011) ride.   I normally don't like to ride alone, but I figured it would be ok if I kept it to low risk stuff and really worked on the things I learned at motoventures.    I was having a good time and, I think, seeing more controlled turning.    None of this would be worth mentioning except for this one blind turn where I came pretty close to a truck.   I had the camera going so I thought I share it.   Ok, I was going a little too fast but I was really on the inside of the turn.   The truck driver reacted quickly which helped.    I got the back brake locked up which also helped.    Anyway, I hear lots of head on collisions there so I try and go midweek to miss the crowd.    Here's my near miss.

good thing you avoided that head on and agree with midweek there, gary does good work but last 2 times i did his classes the skill level was way over the board and really frustrating. i do not think he does enough screening prior to booking its more like if there openings he lets anyone in. i had same issue last year on his level 2 and 3 classes. 

That corner is notorious for that, theres some places out on the perimeter road that can realy get a rider in trouble .

I try not to ride in the zone, both places at corral. The named trails get motorcycle/ quad head-ons alot also.

Glad you made it out unscathed.

More coffee please.

Interesting to see your heart rate after that!  Glad you avoided the collision. 

On 7/12/2018 at 8:47 PM, HacksawPete said:

I'm switch over to a 2011 KTM 300 XC from my 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F, in an effort to be faster in the last two Hare and Hound races this year.   If I can ride just a bit faster, I could win the series (novice over 50).  I'm taking the level 3 class at Motoventures on july 20.  If anybody wants to join that would be fun.    

How to you like the 300 xc verses the 500 so far?

The 300 vs 500 is interesting.  First off, I regularly do balance training exercises, and I'm way better on the 300.  Next I can keep my intended track more often.  I hope this translates into making it up the bigger hills.  Also, I really like the rekluse on the 500, but I don't think I need one on the 300.  I'm actually having fun with the clutch.  For high end power and overall reliability,  the 500 is the winner for me.  I used to ride a Bultaco Persang so I'm having fun playing with a two stroke again.

43 minutes ago, HacksawPete said:

The 300 vs 500 is interesting.  First off, I regularly do balance training exercises, and I'm way better on the 300.  Next I can keep my intended track more often.  I hope this translates into making it up the bigger hills.  Also, I really like the rekluse on the 500, but I don't think I need one on the 300.  I'm actually having fun with the clutch.  For high end power and overall reliability,  the 500 is the winner for me.  I used to ride a Bultaco Persang so I'm having fun playing with a two stroke again.

I get it. The 4T feels top heavy for the balance training exercises. I'm sure that your hill climbs on the 300 will be just as good if not better then thumper with proper gear selection (usually a higher one on the 2T) and proper clutch technique to impede wheel spin ie. traction.

Bultaco Persang! Great bike! just didn't get used to the left hand kick start ;)