I am quite lucky to have family living in Alaska, as it gives me a legitimate reason to ride up here.....but if you don't have family you can make up any other reason, because the ride is pretty nice if you're into that sort of thing. 

I seem to have a lot of free time on my hands now that I'm "unemployed" so I decided to put some new tires on the Yamaha, throw a tent and some other things in the bags and headed out.  A friend of mine who retired a few months ago also joined me, his sister lives in Anchorage.  He had never done an overnight ride before this! Took ten days to ride from San Diego to Anchorage, could have done it quicker, wish I could have taken a bit longer but the family was waiting and spending time with a granddaughter is as fulfilling as riding is. 

Rode the PCH as much as was feasible through CA, up the coast a ways in Oregon, stayed at a friend's place in Spokane and then into Canada.  Some beautiful sights up there, gotta go again and check out more of it.  Got to ride through the rain for a day and a half, about 700 miles which swamped out the air box on the Super Tenere.  Almost every stop as we got close to Yukon looked like a commercial for either BMW GS motorcycles, Klim gear or Just For Men Touch of Gray.......crazy how many ADV riders were following the same instructional guide somewhere.

Only paid for lodging one night, the day we rode through almost 500 miles of rain we got a room because we were both borderline hypothermic. Lots of free/easy camping in Canada.  

I just pointed the bike north and then north west-ish.  Got a couple paper maps from AAA.  No GPS, no planned routes, no planned stops.  Just go, stop for a bit, eat, go a bit more.  I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I wasn't ever stressed about anything.  If you're thinking of doing a ride like this, don't overthink it and just get out there and do it.  There's no right or wrong way, just do it the way that works for you.

I eventually have to go home.  I hear there is a new road that goes all the way up to Tuktoyatuk (Tuk) from Dawson City......might try it.  Crossing the Arctic Circle is certainly on the agenda.

Image may contain: mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: ocean, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, nature and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, fire and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, bridge, cloud, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, tree, mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor

And here's the reason for the ride!

Image may contain: 2 people, including Tom Moudry, people smiling, beard and closeup

I don’t know why the pictures doubled, maybe because the ride was just that nice?

Fixed the doubles!

Awesome! Great stuff...thanks for sharing your adventure! :thumbsup_anim: Double the pics..double the fun!

If I lean my head way over to the right and stare really hard at the pics I can see them in stereo vision.

3 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

Gorgeous ??

Total dumb luck how well that turned out, but the shot would have been even better if I could have got the phone out about ten seconds earlier.  The moose was facing me, he was in the water, ripples in the water all around him and water was dripping off his face/antlers.  So amazing!  I'm glad I got the shot I did, but the earlier vision was spectacular.  

They do sell PBR, but none of the stores had singles and I was always too tired to drink six.

I got to spend a bunch of time with my family, even did a tour of Denali.

I’m heading out tomorrow morning, going from Anchorage to Dawson City, then north to try to get to Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk).  Going to need some good weather and some good luck.  

When I get back in phone coverage range I will let y’all know if I made it.  This should be my Spot link in the mean time.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0dKHf1Rl0Snzn8daPXyfF27viZ6xl0Sca

Looked like a great time at Denali ??

I thought I saw a flying Moose in your slide show?

Now your gonna have to make a rig for your dogs to pull you around on when you get home. 

Ride fun and be safe

I'm stocking up the beer fridge for a full debriefing session when you return.

Made it to Arctic Circle, in route to Inuvik and then Tuktoyaktuk.

Made it to Tuktoyaktuk!

Tom - That Viddy was AWESOME! :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for sharing the adventure and keep the RR & pics coming!

We got rained on and didn’t get to spend any time in Tuk.  Had to camp in an abandoned garage off the Dempster, then rode out the next day.  

My riding buddy dropped his bike in the mud and dislocated his pinky.  Then 10 miles later he got a flat front tire.  We couldn’t get the bead to seat, I asked him where his tube was?  He gave me a look....I knew he didn’t bring one!  I had a 19” tube, wasn’t sure it would work but it did.  Kenny owes me big time!

Were you trying to inflate with a little compressor or with co2?

Compressor, but his tubeless conversion tape was all mangled up so it was a failure situation with anything.  We even sprayed brake cleaner and threw a match!