Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Lake Isabella Area July 19-22

I had so much fun I'm heading back for more. Camp greenhorns, ride 'horns, Piutes, and the Kern plateau. 

I've got to work in LA July 1st and 4th but July 2 and 3 are my ride days. Going to drive up Sunday night, July 1st, and ride all day Monday and Tuesday on the beautiful mountain single track of the southern Sierra Nevada mountains. I'll drive back to LA Wednesday morning. I'm not sure if I'l go into the Greenhorn or Piute Mountains as of now but I'm leaning toward Greenhorns for the amenities that are available at the campground.

If you like singletack, you owe yourself one of these trips. Just be warned that it may forever change your riding life. 

DSCN0669.jpg

DSCN0649.jpg

2012-05-21131251.jpg

I had so much fun I'm heading back for more. Camp greenhorns, ride 'horns, Piutes, and the Kern plateau.

IMG_20180702_140622886.jpg

IMG_20180702_132842078_HDR.jpg

I know a 14 year old who just got a KX100, so we might come up. It is going to be a big jump up for him, so we might be unable to join you on rides depending on difficulty.  Can you post up campground coordinates?

Cool bike. I was team green in my teenage years. A KDX and KX.

The original plan was to camp at Greenhorn Mt Park.

https://goo.gl/maps/hgRyUeAyttN2

but if the kid is coming that might change things and that's not bad. The reason being, the main access road to the better trails for him is closed for logging the burn area and the only logical way to get there while the crews are working is a diamond level trail. After 5PM we can take the intermediate trails back to camp.

I think we could accommodate him and ride slowly and help him through the tough spots but there are some areas of cliff exposure that may be unsettling on the new rev happy mx bike. Depending on your schedule, we could ride the ATV trails and such on the other side of the road for a day or two to get him used to the bike before diving in or we could just go into the Piutes instead. Piutes do not have any services, i.e., water, toilets, showers, cellular and are mostly intermediate and above trails or dirt roads. I don't mind either one as I haven't ridden in the Piutes in over a year. 

Now that I've written all that, I think staying with the original camp plan and exploring the ATV trails would be the way to go. If you're ok with a 20 minute drive from camp we could drive to different trailheads and get into the Piutes or other areas for the day. 

I should mention that we would only be up for the 21/22, and we will bring our motorhome.

It sounds like there are plenty of options, which is good.  He is coming off a TTR 125, so this is going to be quite a step.  I have a spark arrestor and flywheel ordered, which should tame it down a bit.  We are looking to go to Lark Sunday AM for a shakedown.

There is a chance that my wife and daughter will meet us up there Saturday afternoon, but how much riding they will want to do is unpredictable.  If you don't have a rig that can haul 3 bikes, I can have my wife drive my van and then we could use that to haul the trailer to the trailheads.

BTW  after not having a 2 stroke dirt bike for a while, this thing sounds AWESOME

I've been working hard all weekend but was able to get my schedule straight. I'll be driving up Thursday morning for Greenhorn Mt Park and staying until Sunday morning. 

Isde, how'd the KX shake down run go? If you were planning to ride late on Sunday I'll leave my map with you so you can find your way around and back and enjoy the area. 

HotRod, if you can make it Friday I'll take you on a mindblowing singletrack experience. Money back guaranteed. 

On 7/13/2018 at 12:03 AM, isde97 said:

BTW  after not having a 2 stroke dirt bike for a while, this thing sounds AWESOME

Deep in the woods they just sound like chainsaws to me. :heh:

50/50 at this point. I checked out the website but didn't see anything about reserving a campsite, first come first serve?

42 minutes ago, HotRod82 said:

50/50 at this point. I checked out the website but didn't see anything about reserving a campsite, first come first serve?

Yes. I was there 7/2-3 and was all alone in camp. Weekends get busier but there'll be space. I'm getting there Thursday afternoon and if it starts filling up I'll save you a space.

5 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

Isde, how'd the KX shake down run go?

My van developed a fuel leak Friday, so we didn't go.  I'm hoping that between the Q silencer, flywheel weight, and 6000' elevation, that it will be tamed down to within reason.   We will also have the TTR125 along, but he is pretty anxious to get on the KX and make it work.

My 450 is very manageable at 6000'+. Should be a good place to test it out. 

Now I may not have to work on Sunday. If I do I will leave my map for you to use and navigate your way around.