Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

World SBK 2018 - Laguna Seca

Spent the weekend with wifey at WorldSBK in Monterey. 

Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki) took both races and makes Laguna Seca look easy.  The other riders behind him, not so much.  We generally hang out at the Corkscrew and this year saw some pretty spectacular calamities.  A Turkish rider lost the back end at the middle apex on the Corkscrew and high sided.  When they were loading his bike onto the truck, you could tell it was almost split in half.   The slo-mo video is spectacular.  Watch the rear tire compress during the initial slide.  The rider was okay after taking it easy by the side of the track for a while.  The Honda Rider, No. 46, is Jake Gagne from Ramona!  He placed in the top 10 both races, his best finishes ever for his rookie year in WorldSBK.

The Liqui Moly Junior Cup races also took place.  The factory KTM riders took first and second place.  When they came by on the parade lap I waived a KTM shirt I bought at them.  KTM rider Sean Ungvarsky stopped his bike on the Corkscrew, took off his visor, and tossed it over the fence to me.  He was super pumped on his finish.  His friends come over to us and snapped a pic and later he came back up to the Corkscrew also.  Got a pic with him.  These races are a ton of fun because the riders are super accessible and like to meet the fans.

36064622_10214692939889880_4959090413873922048_n.thumb.jpg.9557e9218ee1fc477b947cc6e3043a1e.jpg

Pretty sure I was supposed to go with you this year?? Oh well, next year I'm going have a lot more free time... ;)