Ken S

Big Bear Dual Sport Ride. 6-23

Heading up now for 200 plus miles of rocks with some beautiful fire road in between. 

Anyonne else from SDAR participateing besides Pete Devon and I. 

Look for Crawdaddy and Wife at a Checkpoint with cold beverages.  They will be under a Shade.

Wife and I are here, we're sweeping the adventure route two up on the cbx

Devon, Kenny and I gave the hard loop a pretty good try.    I took a quick look at the video I recorded and I did get some usable clips.  Hopefully I'll have a video out in a few weeks.   This year I did much better than last year but still did not finish.  I got to mile 160 out of 210 and was too fatigued and or dehydrated to ride safely anymore.  Some machine damage and sore quads are a nice paring to my bruised ego.  Maybe next year?  We had a slight delay with a flat ... check the picture out.  Only a moose would have kept you rolling with that stuck in your tire.  Also, check the gps data... we had a pretty good moving average (18.6 showing).  The trip up Redonda ridge is what killed my ride.  Way too much energy and time to get up that hill.  I have video of Kenny and Devon going up one of the hardest sections.

175 riders started the hard loop and 29 finished.   This is seriously a hard ride.  

At the end we had 50 more miles to go, including 38 special, and 2.5 hours remaining.   It was a good effort.   I really want to thank Devon and Kenny for riding with me.  

20180623_092704.jpg

0623181725.jpg

20180623_053217.jpg

20180623_120106.jpg

20180623_195301.jpg

20180624_120830.jpg

Your gang has a lot of that Pioneer Spirt; taking on all tasks as Doable.   Grabbed this video from Google from '16 and it matches my memory. Luckily my group did Redondo west to east and down the climb you probably did. Also my White Mountain was down that lose and step ascent.  Soo lose and soft punctuated by big obstacles.  I have no interest in returning to those two routes; especially on a 690 as I was on back then.

Respect you guys for working the mountain.  Bagstr

P.S.  This guy in the video never seems to stand up.  :o

good ride, looks like next years goal is already on the check list.

Nicely done bummer about not finishing 

Sen a couple videos today and at least half a dozen plates two strome. Couldn't tell if ca or out of state. Did you guys see a decent amount I  know Devin's is out of State. Tempting to az plate my 300 

Yeah I was surprised to see so many other plated 2-strokes. Wasn’t paying attention to the state of the plates though. CHP was on scene at the finish and impounded a few bikes. They weren’t cutting any slack for bikes without current/legal registration. Having an Arizona plate with a CA license may or may not be an issue. 

It was a good ride. Bummed we didn’t finish but we made a good effort and I feel better about making the effort to go the hard route than just taking the easy way. Definitely want to try again next year if I get the chance. It was a good learning experience and I’ll be better prepared for next time for the mental/physical aspect to go the distance. 

This was funny watching all the noobs going up this not so difficult section about 3mi (?) from the start. Pete, Kenny, and I go by starting at about 2:40 in from the top left of the screen. 

I know someone a couple years back rolled his red sticker 2 stroke machine off the truck and just joined the ride and completed...loaded up and left...I guess those days are done with johnny law on site. 

stupid trials tires...... gotta load the rear not lift it......someday maybe I will get another plated enduro comp machine and join you guys. that is hard to watch.....10 k bikes being thrashed....

Probably the 2nd best ride of my life. 1st best being Soboba after 3 inches of rain. I had a great ride. No crashes loop outs or even a tip over. 

Did a lot of prep before the ride with 3 pre run trips. A Recluse clutch I bought after my first ride in Big Bear. Tubliss on the rear with a Moto Z Mountain Hybrid at 4 psi. 

I smartly walked the bike thru a few short awkward sections. 

Big key for me was wearing a cooling vest and wetting it down 3 or 4 times during the day and drinking lots of water. It was hot. 

Redondo ridge was definitely a bitch the way we rode it. If I’d of gotten stuck like lots of guys we saw it would have ended my day. 

Amazing im not sore  I did 100 mile local ride after getting home Sunday  

Thanks for the invite Pete. 

I will be back next year. 

Air filter after 1 day. 

837290DD-7245-4793-9959-30BD3077B3E1.jpeg

859D9E48-C3F1-4B16-B33A-7FE275D47491.jpeg

3 hours ago, robertaccio said:

stupid trials tires...... gotta load the rear not lift it......someday maybe I will get another plated enduro comp machine and join you guys. that is hard to watch.....10 k bikes being thrashed....

And your husky 300 wasn't 10k

Gonna make an effort to try and make this next year

16 hours ago, Bp619 said:

And your husky 300 wasn't 10k

nope, not before I added all kinds of bling....

The point is that those bikes, regardless of cost, are being abused. Throwing them away onto the rocks; wild spinning  in survival mode,  it's a good thing the riders are all sponsored by the factory!

On a physical level, these Hard Ways are a tough mental and cardio challenge. Respect to those who face the challenge.

Big Bear Trail Riders motto: "Outride...Outwit...Outlast..." ;)

7 hours ago, Bagstr said:

The point is that those bikes, regardless of cost, are being abused. Throwing them away onto the rocks; wild spinning  in survival mode,  it's a good thing the riders are all sponsored by the factory!

On a physical level, these Hard Ways are a tough mental and cardio challenge. Respect to those who face the challenge.

That spot on Gold Mountain isn’t even that hard. 

We were smelling gas fumes from boiling fuel climbing Redondo Ridge (the long difficult way)with bikes looped out and riders succumbing to the heat